Topic

The Pros and Cons of Backpacking Umbrellas

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) The Pros and Cons of Backpacking Umbrellas

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Steve O

@hechoendetroit

Locale: South Kak

I recently read how an umbrella could be useful for shedding wind and rain from the front of an open tarp. Anyone have any experience with this?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I tried a GoLite umbrella and had no problem but for the length when stowed. An umbrella is great in camp as well as the trail, providing a wind break for your stove, shade, and a trip to the latrine when your rain gear is your shelter.

I replaced the GoLite with a Shedrain compact model that is just 7oz with the cover. It was no small feat to check on the weights on umbrellas– like many items online, the weights aren't published. See http://www.shedrain.com/product_detail.php?fld_id=51&cy=c&c=11

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

When we were sectioning the NJ AT, we used them for sun protection on the open ridgelines. When someone saw 4 of us coming their way, toting umbrellas, they dubbed us the "Mary Poppins Hiking Club". They broiled, we were comfortable – call me what you want.

Yes, you do need to be wary of the wind. However, I feel much more comfortable with the strength of my GoLite brolly compared to the compact dollar-store one I keep in the car. I feel like an ultra-light zealot when I use mine to walk across campus to class in the rain.

Mark Ferwerda
    BPL Member

@mnferwerda

Locale: Maryland

I have done this on nights when it was raining and quite windy. I set the height of the tarp low enough so that the umbrella, when open, covers most of the entrance (on the inside). I had to hold onto it when the wind really blew, but in most storms, the wind only lasts and hour or so and then calms down. Works well for me!

Steve O

@hechoendetroit

I wonder if you could use a small cord and stake at the base of the handle to hold it during a storm? It seems like it would hold well as long as the umbrella meets with the tarp tightly and there isn't wind blowing from the back side within the tarp.

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

Has anyone successfully drilled a leash into the handle of the older model (non-foam) handles of the GoLite brolly? This may work, and I'm interested.

john flanagan

@jackfl

Locale: New England

I drilled a hole thru the older style plastic handle without trouble. My intent was different, but you can very easily add a stake loop. The shaft does not go all the way to the base of the handle. I drilled 3/16" holes a little over 1/2" up from the bottom of the handle.

Another thought – if drilling isn't an option, just girth hitch a loop of p-cord around the shaft and use that. If there's trouble with slippage, use a prussik hitch instead.

Steve O

@hechoendetroit

I'm not sure how many of you collect rainwater for drinking but an umbrella can obviously help there.

JASON CUZZETTO
    BPL Member

@cuzzettj

Locale: NorCal - South Bay

Another tip. I drilled a whole in the top peg of the umbrella and put a small cord through it. I have hung it from a tree and been able to keep the rain off of my stove for cooking. It is a lot faster than setting up a tarp.

gdinero senior

@gmoney

The Birdiepal website featured a Komperdell trekking pole that had an integrated umbrella. I'm very interested in checking it out, and would love it if anyone who has tried it out shared their experience with us.

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

has anyone tried installing a trekking pole attachment onto the part of an umbrella that opens up, so taht one could simply attach their trekking pole to the umbrella?

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas
    josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

thanks huz

William S.

@will4242

As for rain and sun, it seems like the umbrella overlaps. the jobs of rain pants, rain coats, and a hat. Of, course in windy situations an umbrella won't do much good for protecting arms and legs (wet limbs don't bother me though), but here's my question: Can an umbrella replace these things adequately enough to keep you dry while setting up camp?
    My issue is that I have experienced very little rain *knock on wood* since I mostly hike in California summer. Rain, when it does come is brief and not too windy. I've never set up camp in the rain but need to be prepared to do so. I'm going to buy a tent with a canopy type deal so as to be able to cook in the rain.
    in the end the weight cut is: 12.3 oz raincoat + 6 oz rain pants vs. a 8oz umbrella.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

A few years back I adapted a brolly as per Ray Jardine's instructions. I had some success with it in the New Zealand bush in rain and it was great (when covered with silver mylar) for providing shade for me and my kid when I was lugging him around in a baby carrier. I may well give it another try for day hikes where the extra weight of it doesn't bother me.

Gary Boyd

@debiant

Locale: Mid-west

But using your umbrella to clear spider webs is far superior to using a trekking pole.

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Locale: Virginia

Under my umbrella ella, ella, ella hey hey hey.
    went umbrella for the first time in the smokies last week. I used the mont bell, and an xl driducks jacket that covered my pack. The umbrella was handy quite a few times like in heavy rain, sun, while cooking, etc. Jury's still out but I'm leaning towards mary poppins.

Gary Boyd

@debiant

Locale: Mid-west

Helps your manhood go down…
    I say pack it…

the umbrella…

that is.

Dawn Hamilton
    BPL Member

@dawnlh

Has anyone had much luck with any of the "hands free" methods of attaching an umbrella? I am so used to using 2 poles when I hike that I can't imagine having to hold the umbrella instead. The picture where it fits on your head…are there lightweight varieties and could you put a strap under your chin to hold it on in wind?

Dawn

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

http://www.dalehollowoutdoors.com/ul-trekking-umbrella.html

montbell UL trekking umbrella, $24 shipped
    comes in dark green only

i used my brolly this past weekend at Aravaipa Canyon in temps pushing 95°, not a cloud in the sky. Highly satisfied with using it.
    i did have an extra camelback clip so used it for holding the brolly hands-free, but this method surely requires 2 clips. here's a photo of the other brolly user, hands free by using the sternum strap and shirt pocket to hold it. it held very well for many hours. little wind, slight breeze if any.

a

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

I use the Golite version, but only for hikes of a few days. In light rain, I stick it right down between my pack and my back. In heavier rain, I duct tape my trekking poles together and use them as one pole so that I can hold the umbrella. In heavy winds, I switch to my $1.99 Walmart poncho or DriDucks. (The DD's I take only on longer hikes and leave the Golite behind. The DD pants are great to wear when you're washing your other pants.)

Main disadvantage: Umbrellas are more trouble than they're worth in high winds. You really need some sort of backup, and the UL philosophy implies that you should just carry the backup, especially on longer walks where every oz counts.

On the embarrassment issue: My old man used to say to me, "If I ever see you carrying an umbrella, you'd better be holding it over a woman's head."

I think it's about time we got over such sentiments. They reflect more on the giver than they do on the recipient. No hiking tool is silly if it serves the greater purpose of helping you enjoy the hike.

Stargazer

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

"Has anyone had much luck with any of the "hands free" methods of attaching an umbrella? I am so used to using 2 poles when I hike that I can't imagine having to hold the umbrella instead. The picture where it fits on your head…are there lightweight varieties and could you put a strap under your chin to hold it on in wind? "
    dawn, did you see this post: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/23881/index.html?skip_to_post=194012#194012

Emmet shows us how to use clips to hold his brolly hands-free. it works!

i got my montbell ul umbrella a couple days ago, and the quality is good. very taught, and packs small. 5.6oz total
    only drawback: you have to snap all the ribs into place before opened (this takes bout 20 seconds)

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Mike, don't you have to break it down the same way, first buckling all ribs before completing closure?

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

yes, its true. but i was mostly concerned that id be saying "oh great, its started to rain and now i have to fumble with these ribs.."

fwiw the SnowPeak has the same construction style. My Birdiepal is nice in that it's easy to "pitch" but one look and you'll see the construction is nowhere near the quality of Montbell's.

Hoot Filsinger
    BPL Member

@filsinger

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools