Topic

Core loft durability and longevity

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Core loft durability and longevity

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Shawn Bearden
    BPL Member

@shawnb

Locale: SE Idaho

I've been looking for good info on durability and longevity of Coreloft insulation (used in some Arc'teryx clothing). Not finding much, I contacted Arc'teryx directly and here was the response…FYI

"Hi Shawn,

Thank you for contacting Arc'teryx. The longevity of the Coreloft highly depend and use and storage. The worst thing for Coreloft is to compress it. I have seen Coreloft lasting as few as 3-4 months when used for driving a car for 1-2 hour daily. Just the compression between the back and the seat broke the fibres down in no time. The same can happen when Coreloft is stored in a tight compression sack for an extended period.

When used as a mid-layer and stored properly, it can last for many years. I have an Atom LT Hoody from 3 years ago and it sill looks brand new and haven't lost any of its loft."

Anonymous
    Inactive

Unusually honest.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Because 3 years might not be bad for a synthetic, compared to dowm …

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

The REALLY interesting part is that coreloft is now being used in most of their down jackets in certain areas

The questions is will those parts go flat after a few years with the down portions still being fine

Note one of the advantages of UL down jackets is that you can compress them very small and theyll be just fine

Will this shorten the life of something like the cerium?

I asked dead bird this when they first came out, they werent too impressed and refused to answer

Suffice to say those jackets wont last for decades if you use em constantly

But then the same can probably be said for any UL jacket that sees daily use

Incidentally their response is a good reason not to use you UL synth gear for social situations as youll wear it out looking trendy at the bar … Save it for when it matters

;)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools