Topic

Bringing up the Rear: An Ultralighter Hikes across the Weminuche with a “Mixed” Group

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Bringing up the Rear: An Ultralighter Hikes across the Weminuche with a “Mixed” Group

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Will Rietveld
    BPL Member

@williwabbit

Locale: Southwest Colorado

Hey Ben.

Great article. Lots of wit and insight.

The Weminuche is August is certainly an adventure, as you found out. I grined a lot while reading your article, because I have experienced it many times. Your description is very accurate. I commend you for staying with it and not bailing, and focusing on the adventure and cammaraderie instead of the misery at times. At the end of such a trip, that's what we remember the most, and you really hooked into that.

Best, Will.

Benjamin Smith
    BPL Member

@bugbomb

Locale: South Texas

You know what's REALLY weird? This is the sixth or seventh year we've backpacked in that part of Colorado in August, and it's the first time we've been rained on.

eric levine

@ericl

Locale: Northern Colorado

An enjoyable read. Probably everyone has friends/relatives who hike with "standard" gear. I kept thinking how some of my new gear would hold up, since I recently hiked in the Rawahs (N. Colorado cont. divide).

As for the author’s food and its weight – well, now I doubly won’t be tempted to try anything complex or heavy. The reader’s tip about salt at altitude may be a good one. I often munch on low fat corn chips on my tough hikes to good effect.

Q Smith
    BPL Member

@neotechktc-com-2-2

Locale: Texas Hill Country

I was in Weminuche August 2011 with a buddy. We are both from San Antonio.

Thanks for the trip report. It helped me vividly remember our trip. Especially heavy rain, lightning, cold, and altitude change (our first night we were at 12,400 feet – a tad too much for me). More importantly, comraderie, closeness to nature, beauty, vistas. I think my food was better…

Q

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools