Topic

this is it for the most part

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists this is it for the most part

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jeffrey Hartman

@jeffhartman1019

Locale: midwest

hello,

this is the majority of the gear list i have for my thru attempt in 08 leaving July 23 southbound in a 3.5 month AT thru adventure

any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated……thanks in advance

pack Gregory G Pack 44 oz
    bag REI KILO FLASH 18 oz "FF rock Wren 27 oz
    "
    tent Tarptent contrail 26 oz "LunarSoloFtprnt 4.5 oz
    "
    rain/pack cover Gatewood Cape 11 oz
    sleep pad GG Nightlight torso 3.5oz
    Small Stuff ziplock bags,baby wipes sunblock bug spray(DEET)
    personal hygn brush/paste hand sanitizer TP
    first aid homemade first aid kit ibupropen
    firestarter Spark-Lite Firestarting Kit lighter(2)
    camera pentax optio w 10 6 oz battery charger memory card (2) battery (2)
    Gorillapod???

pant/short Montane featherlite wind shorts
    underwear movingcomfortmicrobrief
    outershell MontaneAero(Wndshrt)
    shoes Inov-8 Flyroc 310 shoes sandals????
    socks?????????
    hiking poles REIPeakULCarbon 13.5 oz
    tool "Leatherman Micra Multi-tool 2 oz

"
    light black diamond ion hdlmp 1 oz
    stove/cooking pepsi can stove .5 oz windscrn/ptstnd 2 oz
    guidebook ALDHAThru-Hikr Cmpnn
    H2O Nalgene Cantene Water Bottle
    platy bag 2L w/hose
    food bag 40feet dyneema bear bag cord AirCore Pro URSA Dyneema Bear Bag Hanging Rope (50 feet)

JASON CUZZETTO
    BPL Member

@cuzzettj

Locale: NorCal - South Bay

Just curious. It seems like you could really size your pack down With at least a Golite Pinnacle or Jam. The Pinnacle would get you down to 23-24 ounces and give you a lot of room. Or do you feel you need a stiff frame?

Everyone is different. But the Golite are really tough.

Thanks and have a great time.

Pamela Wyant

@riverrunner

Curious as to why you would take a Gatewood Cape when you are also using a Tarptent Contrail. If you don't plan on using the Gatewood Cape as shelter, a simple poncho would be lighter and probably a little more breathable.

You will undoubtedly need some insulation layers, which I didn't see listed.

Being out that long, you might also want a cushier pad than the Night Light.

Pam

Jeffrey Hartman

@jeffhartman1019

thanks for the feedback

i am still adding to the gearlist….more clothes are definately in order, but i am narrowing down the field

i jsut thought having a two shelter option for now is good and i might decide to go with only one or the other…i need to usee the gatewood a few more times to before i decide to drop one or the other….. many nights in the contrail and i really like it….finally got to test it in the rain last night :)

i have a couple packs in mind if i dont end up liking the G pack..that is a good starter and i might change when i have a finalized gear list

will be fine tuning and hoping for more advice from the BPL community….so please le tme know what you are thinking

thanks much …..good day
    jeff

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Going off the feedback I'm getting the Rock Wren won't be warm enough. You'll need a 20 degree or lower.

Jeffrey Hartman

@jeffhartman1019

Chris,

so what about the winter wren then….i really like the functionality of this bag ….i will switch out when the time is right in september

please more advice…thanks much

David Wills

@willspower3

I would definitely lighten the pack up with either a golite or ULA pack. The G pack seems fragile for the weight. you can get away with the nightlite, but you will probably curse it after a few weeks if you stay in shelters (which from what i've gathered, most thru-hikers start doing mostly shelters by week 2). Get familiar with the gatewood cape and see if you will like it as a primary shelter- dropping 26oz is pretty significant. You will probably want a cookpot :). i would recommend montbell UL down or synthetic layers. They would get you to 20* with the rock wren. A fleece cap would help too. You will probably want some form of entertainment- cards, dice, whiskey, books, airsoft gun for shelter mice hunting, etc. Overall it looks pretty good

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

You could probably make do with that and additional layers. I'm being told temps avg below 35 till Mayish so 20ish plus insulating layers if it gets really windy or cold for tarp/tarptent usage. I'm sure it's different for a tent but neither you or I plan on using one of those so…

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

I ordered my Winter Wren with a 2oz. overfill which takes the rating to under 20F. I just had to have the FF down 2 part booties to finish the equation. This is a bag that could be used over Cocoon-like gear, too, so it offers a lot of possibilities.

Ryan Krause

@rmkrause

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Where's your water purification equipment?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools