Topic

Cheap Vapor Barriers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Cheap Vapor Barriers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

I have read a lot about vapor barriers on this site, and with the coming of the cold weather, would like to experiment with them. It seems that some people swear by them, while others dislike them…so, I am looking for a way to “test” to see if I like them, if I can regulate my temperature well, and if they actually work for me. Can I do this without spending money on permanent gear? Perhaps by making a “garbage bag” vest/shirt? Or using rainpants to sleep in? Maybe either of those ideas could be a permanent item? Or even a cheap purchased product?
    Thanks,
    Steve

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Do a search on PVC rain suits. Postage may cost more than the suit.

I think that is is a very good idea to check to see if they will work for you before you spend $$$$$$$.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> I have read a lot about vapor barriers on this site, and with the coming of the cold weather, would like to experiment with them. It seems that some people swear by them, while others dislike them…so, I am looking for a way to “test” to see if I like them,

I think you need to be sleeping way sub-freezing for them to work properly.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

How "way" are we talking, Roger? My temp range would be about -5C to -20C for my winter backpacking…do I need to go colder for a VB to work? I would think a VB would work at any temp. Am I missing something?
    I'm trying to lighten up my sleep system and hopefully use my down bag for extended periods.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> How "way" are we talking, Roger? My temp range would be about -5C to -20C for my winter backpacking…do I need to go colder for a VB to work?
    Well … I really need a few others to chip in here with advice. The problem is that with any moderate weight SB, you are likely to be warm enough at -5 C, so a VB would make a fair bit of sweat inside.
    To make a VB work nicely (I said 'nicely', not 'properly'), you really need to be sleeping pretty cool so you are not giving off much water vapour. I guess it depends on the SB you are using as to how cold it has to be for that to happen. And it is going to depend on what you ate for dinner, how much wind is blowing through your shelter, what you are wearing, the phase of the moon, and …

Only thing to do is to try it out. Using a VB needs a bit of experience – which usually means doing the wrong thing a few times along the way :-)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools