Topic

Missing hiker wouldn’t drink untreated water

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Missing hiker wouldn’t drink untreated water

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Scott Toraason

@kimot2

I read the report Sarah, and if one is unfamiliar with a compass and baselines one should not be hiking alone. The very idea that someone would carrying a compass as a false sense of security is mind boggling; and that this individual should be excused or blameless for not having a compass or accept no responsibility for knowing how to use the one she had is…well be that as it may, in my opinion it was the reason SAR was necessary.

Lance M
    BPL Member

@lancem

Locale: Oregon

I believe we should not criticize Mary with limited information. We can only speculate when she began drinking river water after leaving her note: “no food, h2o, or map”. We can only speculate exactly what gear she carried and what her level of knowledge and expertise is.

At what point do you gear up for a walk? A quarter mile walk to a roadside overlook? A mile walk on a paved path to a popular waterfall? A three mile trail run on an established path? Each situation is unique and has its own risk assessment dependent on many factors. In Mary’s case we don’t know the details.

The one fact we do know for certain is that Mary is alive and well after five unplanned nights in the forest. As an outdoor community we should be grateful for her safe return, support her where we can, and learn from her experience.

Alan Garber

@altadude

I think there should be no blame and we cannot know for sure what transpired. Newspaper reports are sometimes inaccurate.

Bearpaw's point I think was the essential point about survival and drinking untreated water. Obviously polluted water avoid (duh!) but the incubation time for water borne illnesses in the bc is 7-10 days………so it doesn't make sense to avoid drinking untreated water. Simple arithmetic. That is why I don't consider water treatment in my survival kit………to survive a few days I won't worry about the risk of water borne illnesses….

As far as other points, as to what to bring on a day hike and how to be prepared: that is open to discussion without any blame. We can all learn…….

In medicine we have morbidity and mortality conferences to learn how to do things better. This is sort of the equivalent……….

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sarah,
    I don't think critiqueing an incident should be equated with "piling on her". As one poster mentioned, it can, and should, be used as an educational/cautionary tool for the benefit of the community at large. It definitely doesn't rise(or sink) to the level of loutishness. You mention that she had a decent sized day pack with a cover. I would
    be wondering more about what was in the daypack, like rain gear, extra clothing and food, firestarting material, etc. Does the 10 Essentials ring a bell? Plus the knowledge on how to use them? If she had had rain gear, in particular, she wouldn't had to dry her clothes on rock and lose precious body heat in the process. If she had firestarting material, it might have been appropriate to sit down and brew up that proverbial "cup of tea" and ponder her situation(sterilizing the water in the process, by the way). I could go on, but I will close by observing that a lot of us up here have probably hiked solo in the Cascades, North, Central, and South at one time or another. They are serious mountains and should be approached seriously, which means, IMHO, entering them well equipped both gear-wise and knowledge-wise. It might even be a good idea to NOT hike solo if you are going into rough terrain, by which I mean sketchy trails or cross country routes. No offense intended, but I felt like I had to say my pice about the lout bit and it just went on from there. Peace.
    P.S. Anybody else up for designating that "cup of tea" as the 11th Essential?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

And that is a point there-she did the best she could in her situation.
    Maybe you all don't quite know why I get in a "fine" mood over arm chair quarterbacking…..but on the local NW hiking forums it seems anytime someone gets lost and is found alive they yammer on about it for weeks. About how they'd never do that, and they should have done this that and whatever. It gets tiring-and for the most part is rude to the person who did the getting lost.

Think about it for a second. Can you imagine how embarrassed the person is? Knowing the hundreds (if not 1,000's) of people are discussing you? And second guessing what they did "wrong"? I can only say that if it was me I'd not want to have my face seen for awhile till people forgot!

Yes, we can learn from what happened to the person. But no matter what you call it, it is still arm chair quarterbacking!

And for god's sake:she drank water! AGHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Regardless of her experience and skill level, trip planning and execution, and response to her situation, she's lucky enough to hike another day. Not everyone gets that second chance:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003898381_webhikers23.html

P. P.

@toesnorth

Locale: PNW

In their case, it was evidently a climbing accident as they had stashed their packs below the summit. What a sad accident.
    Experienced or not, you just never know…………….

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

A lot of good points have been made, most important that your brain is your #1 survival tool. I just wanted to suggest to BPL Staff – how about inviting her for interview in which she can share exactly what she brought and didn't bring, and what lessons she had to offer fellow hikers in a similar situation?

I was an elite airborne soldier and SF instructor, and whenever there is such an incident, there is an immediate debriefing, analysis and then rapid sharing of the findings with all personnel, to immediately absorb the lessons and avoid a similar situation.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Im also glad she is OK and not a statistic.
    If you ever want a memorable experience, go 24 or 36 hours without a drop of water; your next drink will taste unbelievably good.
    That story was written very strangely, maybe by someone with no hiking experience; it contradicts itself by saying she was equipped for a day hike, but her pack was in the front seat. Both can't be true.* Maybe the video showed her after she recovered her pack from the car?

In addition to armchair quarterbacking this lets have some of our experienced members put together a UL day hiking essentials list so small, light, and cheap there is no reason to not carry it; maybe 1/2 liter(1/2quart) in volume, 500g(1 lb), and $50 max? (waistpack size?) I'll put up my list tomorrow..

First things first, I suggest everyone keep a micropur tab in your wallet..

*"..equipped only for a day hike…Her overnight pack was in the front seat."

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

This could be fun. I'd be even more fun if we armchair quarterbacks agreed to be blindfolded and dropped off in the bush with our kit and hiking clothing that'd be worn while walking in conditions of the day and given only minimal info … like which trailhead we left from, how long we'd traveled to get where we were;-)

Just a minor sanity check on Brett's suggested parameters … to weigh 500g with 1/2 liter volume the kit would have to be quite dense … 1/2 liter of water would weigh 500g. I'd be inclined to just specify a volume limit. 1/2 liter would be a challenge, how about 3/4 liter?

Alan Garber

@altadude

First things first, I suggest everyone keep a micropur tab in your wallet..

please see my earlier post

Brett .

@brett1234

Jim, you are correct of course, maybe a liter or so..
    Alan, sorry, missed your post; glad we agree it is a simple and very light precaution.

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

It's funny, my day kit isn't much different than my overnight kit. I usually still bring a foam pad (summit sit pad), and instead of my personal bivy I bring a slightly bigger AMR bivy that will fit my wife and I together. We usually have our insulated parkas too, some food, water and first aid kit which includes emergency fire/knife/MP1 tabs and some basic meds. Sometimes I bring the little stove if we want tea, sometimes not. We use the same clothing layering system as if we were going on an overnight hike.

Basically I take simple stuff that we can hunker down and wait out a storm or wait for assistance should a major injury occur that can't be self rescued. Might not be comfortable but I just care that we stay alive.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

My wife and I do exactly the same, perhaps with the exception being a very short hike (2-3 hours), in which case we still bring some type of insulation (emergency heat blanket), waterproof shell, first aid, and survival basics etc. 1) Even if you don't need it, you might come across someone who was injured who does 2) There are places we hike where the weather can change in a flash (White Mountains can throw a storm on you in 10-15 minutes with little warning). We've read too many stories, including one in the last few years, where a surprise blizzard killed an experienced hiker in late spring who had some warm clothes (fleece, a light shell), but didn't come prepared for the worst the White Mountains could throw at you, even in late Spring.

We have been very grateful more than a few times that we brought the few extra things, even for a shorter hike. We've just made it part of our basic discipline.

Ryan Gardner
    Spectator

@splproductions

… like I'm really old…

I remember when I was young I used to go for day hikes by myself. My mother dear didn't like the thought of it, so I would show her I was completely prepared for anything that might come my way. I use hike with 2-3 times the amount of gear I carry now… for a day hike! Shelter in case I have to stay the night, a big knife in case of mountain lions or bears (what was I going to do with a knife?), a first-aid kit with enough bandages to wrap my whole body… the list went on and on. It's comical to think of now. Especially because I didn't know how to use 90% of what I brought.

Which brings me to an important point… lots of people bring stuff with the idea that if they get in trouble, they'll figure out how to use it.

(((not saying that was the case with this hiker)))

Brett .

@brett1234

Here is my initial suggestion for minimum gear on a day-hike, within 1/2 day of the trailhead. Not including insulation which I assume you would be wearing.

Let's see your suggested version?

Right to left, top to bottom;
    Rain jacket, mylar 'space' blanket, sunglasses.
    [Redledge Thunderlight or $1 plastic coat, $5 generic, $5 safety glasses]

Ritter pocket survival pak*, small first aid kit.
    [Ritter's is about $25, Adventure Medical .3 is $11]

Platypus 1L or similar, Candy or Cliff bar, Micropur and coffee filter, Esbit tab, lighter.
    [free soda bottle, $1 candy, $1 micropur, $1 Esbit, $1 lighter]

Map, Notebook, Headlamp.
    [Copy of map, RiteInTheRain or $1 notebook, Princeton Tec Aurora + 3xAAA $23]
    Day hike essentials

Also carry your cellphone. Fill the 1L Platy before heading out.

Total cost assuming the $1 plastic raincoat = $75.
    Weight about 770 grams for my particular choices which include a TNF DIAD jacket and en entire heavy RiteInTheRain 3×5 notebook.
    Fits in a waist pouch as shown, but volume is not so important; carrying it in a cheap backpack would leave room for food and other items of course..

Waist pouch
    *http://www.equippedtosurvive.org/psp/index.htm

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

Am I the only one who brings the same pack whether its a week trip or a day hike?
    On a day hike I grab my pack (MLD Zip) that is stuffed with everything I would bring on an overnighter except my sleeping bag and of coarse only a dayhikes worth of food.
    I grab my Klearwater, Sparklite, and mini swiss (off my keychain) and put them in my pocket.
    My jacket unstuffed usually fills a lot of the unused space in the pack. With this setup I am almost as prepared as if on an overnight. I can easily build a fire if nessasry put on my wool top, poly bottoms, balaclava, glove linners and get into my bivy/tarp if forced to stay a night.
    All this weights at or close to SUL especially sense I am not carry a few pounds that I would otherwise.
    But I kinda like the "idea" of hiking with just a fanny pack!

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Brett – I like your minimalist gear collection. You might add a stub of a pencil to make that paper more useful, unless there's already one in that emergency packet. It's the kind of kit that might convince hikers who take nothing to realize they don't need a 20 lb pack for a dayhike and can still have access to equipment that will keep them safer and more comfortable under adverse conditions.

That said, I, like Brian, prefer a beefier set of gear for my own use. My daypack, a ULA Relay, is about 9 pounds with lunch and one liter of water. I bring a homemade silnylon tarp, a Montbell bivy sack, my Patagonia Micropuff parka, Patagonia houdini wind jacket, ID eVent rain jacket and Montbell paclite rainpants, sunblock and chapstick, map, a Silva Ranger compass (I can't help it – I teach navigation!), extra socks, gloves (don't forget – I'm in the Central Cascades), aquamira in two BPL microdrop bottles, bandana, Petzl e+ whatever headlamp, small first aid kit, matches and birthday candles for a firestarter, and a few other tidbits. Of course, my dayhikes are usually all day, rain or shine.

Jaiden .

@jaiden

I love your kit and I hope this helps people out. I have given such kits a lot of thought and carry various sizes in my daypack, laptop bag, pocket, etc. each with its own sizing requirements. As this is BPL, I like your choices from a minimalist perspective.

Some thoughts:

Though the AMK has aluminum foil in it, which can be used as a cup for boiling water, I'd prefer to see something more durable. In my car kits which have 32 oz naglenes I have the "space saver cup" by olicamp that fits over the end of them. Part of a cheap aluminum mess lit would work for this too.

The AMK also has paper and a pencil, but some rite in rain pages make sense. I'm picking some up for this purpose thanks to your suggestion.

In my daypack/backpack I carry a poncho tarp with stakes to provide shelter and rain protection. If I find a good deal, I'll pick another one up for my wife, or maybe save up for a gatewood cape.

I hesitated before including extra food, because my kit goes in my overnight pack too and would then need to be bear bagged.

I usually add at least one garbage bag, some produce bags and vinyl gloves for emergency VB and waterproof clothing. The garbage bag could make a solar still or water carrier in a pinch. Some people suggest that condoms make good water carriers.

Some cordage, such as paracord would be very useful and versatile. One day I intend to learn to braid monkey fists so I have some in various places.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

OK, maybe I was too hard on the lost woman. Common sense is the first thing to go in a lost situation.

The thread that runs through most comments here is lack of preparedness, whether in equipment, training or experience.

The first and second are not too hard to come by. The third, experience, takes time. All three have to work together to either STAY out of trouble or GET out of trouble.

Sure, any of us would have a moment or ten of panic if we knew we were lost. Sometimes it IS hard to see the mountains for the trees. Trails can be VERY confusing. Even Dan'l Boone once said, "I warn't never lost but I was plumb confused onct fer three days."

U.S. Army Rangers are taught to always know where they are, even if they are in the middle of a large group. Why? That group could be scattered in a sudden ambush. If they know where they are then they can find the designated rally point to re-group.
    We need to always be that "situationally aware" of our surroundings.

Maybe Dan'ls' attitude is the one we need to take at the first sign of being lost. We're not "lost", just confused. Then, if after failing to be able to re-orient ourselves, we can confess that, yes, we're lost we can begin survival measures to not get MORE lost and in more physical distress.

When I go on a Sierra Club day hike in Las Vegas' nearby desert or mountains I ALWAYS carry a map and compass even though I may not be a hike leader. Sure, I know the areas fairly well now but if someone is sick or injured & I need to go for help my map and compass may cut down on crucial time in getting help and directing it back to the victim.

When going on short hikes alone in the desert or mountains near my home I always leave a map and written directions of my hike at home with my wife.I always take a 1st aid kit, aerial flares and a cell phone among other survival items. (My cell has a GPS locator capability) I'm not about to spend a night in the desert if I don't have to. Call me overcautious but, if I must suffer, I'd rather have short suffering than long suffering.

Yes, technology, such as GPS locating cell phones, PLRBs etc. can help more people who avail themselves of it. Maybe the lowering of prices on Garmin Rhino GPS/radios will help some people. The Rhino has the unique (patented) ability to have all people within radio range located on everyone's Rhino GPS. If a party has enough of these for each person or group it can help immensly in an emergency. A lost child with an operating Rhino can usually be found quickly even though all they know is how to use the "talk" button and to never turn the unit off.

Eric

And yes, my initial post remarks were based on the information provided here. Most of us "piled on" Mary, the lost hiker, for her faults, forgetting she DID survive to be rescued. Her greatest reward was life itself.

Simon Harding

@simonharding

I've had giardia. It sucked. It went undiagnosed for a year as I was treated for ulcers, etc. I had had no exposure to wild water that year (grad school). Giardia is unpleasant to experience. But it is easily cured. Death through dehydration and/or the disorientation that comes along with it is not easily cured.

I'd drink untreated or wild water heavy and long. The amount of time I'd let pass before doing so would depend on the source. Where I am, we have a lot of springs and seeps. I'd drink from, and have drunk from these if I am mildly thirsty/too lazy to get my water bottle out. Within reason. I drank from one Saturday. I did so three weeks ago. But I would not drink from a lake or river or stream unless I needed to, quite badly, without treatment.

If you haven't been on the trail before, carry a map and compass and know how to use them.

Someone commented on our storms in the PNW last year. Yeah, there's lots of blowdown, but it is a rare blowdown that tears up the trail. A root wad or tree fall right on the trial will do so, but such obstacles do not excuse losing the trail. The tread, and blazes (if it is an older, established trail) should still be in evidence. Certainly the tread, if it is truly a trail. I spent the weekend on a trail abandoned in the nineties. Even in a clearcut, the tread was still in evidence, easily followed (due to the tread being a traverse along a ridge, were it flat ground, the tread would have been gone). If you lose the trail, go back and find it. Simple.

For a day hike I carry the clothes I am wearing. If rain threatens, I wear or bring rain gear. If it is the right season, I bring or wear insulation. I bring spare food for a day ( I get hungry!), matches, a mylar blanket, first aid, knife, a firestarter and two US government issue hefty bags (the thick ones), in addition to my trash bag I always carry for the trash of others. I also carry a bit of flagging tape. Water, map and compass. I carry little because I am also carrying a chainsaw, hedge trimmer, pulaski and/or loppers.

I carry a cell if cell serice might be available. Mostly, it is not. Depending too much on cell service is not smart. Just like depending too much on a GPS.

The most important thing we carry are knowledge, discretion and judgement.

Simon

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

Thanks Daniel… I guess you shouldn't believe everything you read on CNN… LOL!!! The article I read said she wasn't drinking because she didn't have a water filter. I THOUGHT that didn't sound right!!!

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Thanks for the info Sarah. I, personally, wasn't pointing any fingers… I was just saying that I was shocked to read that someone would hike along a river for a week without drinking. But as has been pointed out… that article which I read was either in error or just plain unclear.

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Brett… the one huge essential I would say is missing from your list is fire starter. A lighter doesn't count. It's not always that easy to get a fire going… and fire starter kits make it easy… in all conditions. Better yet… learn how to make fire from what's available in the environment itself. I think taking classes in survival would be a huge benefit for anyone… since we tend to put all of our "eggs" in the gear "basket". Myself included. If you didn't bring a needed piece of gear… or lose a needed piece of gear… or don't know how to use a needed piece of gear… you're out of luck. With survival skills… the only gear you need are your brain and a good knife… and you can built fire, shelter, find food… etc. on your own. There is a course coming up in my area soon which I plan to sign up for.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Time after time I read accounts of lost hikers and evert time they broke the basic rules:

1. They did not leave an itinerary with family or friends, or even worse, they did not follow it.

2. They did not take the essentials recommended by every outdoor recreation organization from the Cub Scouts and on. How many times have you read of day hikers out with no extra water, food, spare clothing, etc, etc, etc?

3. They wandered around without map or compass, making themselves a moving target for search and rescue teams.

The streams in the Mount Baker area are about as pure as you are going to find. To go that many days without water is simply amazing. All that is needed is a small pot to boil water in or a few MicroPur tablets taped to your water bladder or bottle, let alone a filter. You could get by with an old tin can or step up and buy a $5 grease pot from Kmart. Some matches, a mini Bic lighter, and a Firesteel, supplanted with a cast off prescription bottle full of cotton balls with Vaseline will get a fire going in just about any conditions and leave plenty of redundancy. It just doesn't take a lot of money or training to have the basics; to fail to do that is just nominating yourself for the Darwin Award.

I'm glad she is safe and sound and I hope others can learn from her trials.

I've been experimenting with personal survival kits (PSK). Here's one example that fits in a fist-sized smoke flare pouch. Keep in mind this doesn't cover things like extra food, extra clothing, and noteably, a water container.

PSK

PSK

Contents:
    MOLLE smoke canister pouch:
    Cyclops Atom headlamp
    Flat pack duct tape

Paracord lanyard with:
    "peanut" fluid lighter
    Silva companion compass
    Firesteel
    ACR whistle
    Buck "Mini Buck" multi-tool with #7 Exacto knife blades taped to sheath
    Long spy capsule filled with Tinder Quick tabs
    Micro LED light

Aloksak waterproof bag:
    Frog gig tine "harpoon" with foam earplug point cover
    6' flourescent pink surveyor's tape
    Mini ball point pen
    2 single edge razor blades
    12' small diameter braided seine twine
    Hotel "freebie" style sewing kit
    4 misc fish hooks with leaders
    3 BB split shot
    24' Specra 30# line
    6' 26ga wire
    8 REI storm matches and striker
    1 "no blow out" birthday candle
    2 DEET wipes in foil packs
    2 SPF 30 sunscreen packs
    4 Katadyn MicroPur water treatment tabs
    1 moleskin
    2 Motrin tablets
    6 Bandaids
    1 Neosporin
    1 Triple antibiotic
    1 Alcohol hand cleaning gel packet
    1 Antiseptic swab
    1 Hydrocortizone ointment

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools