Topic

Water bottle holder

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Water bottle holder

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

"Pockets of the Ohm are pretty hard to beat."

Indeed. I've sometimes wondered why Chris doesn't offer to attach them to anybody's pack, for a reasonable fee. It'd make a great sideline to his main business, and there'd be a lot more happy campers out there on the trails. It's one of the primary features most often missing on packs in general, IME. For that matter, it puzzles me why the GG Hyperlite pockets Joe mentions aren't available on other GG packs as an option. Of course we wouldn't be having this delightfully civilized conversation if that were the case. We'll look back at this one wistfully when the ritual bloodletting begins. ;0)

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I did ask GG about custom side pockets but they said it's not an option.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I did ask GG about custom side pockets but they said it's not an option."

If it's something you think would work for you, maybe email Joe Valesko at Z-Packs. I've heard that he does this kind of thing, and the quality of his work is very high.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

You are telling me that I could possibly email Joe at Z Packs and ask him if I could send him my GG G4 pack so he could change the pocket (s) on it to work like my GG Murmur hyperlight? Lol..that would be pretty amazing if he did that…I would almost feel weird asking that.

Anonymous
    Inactive

" Lol..that would be pretty amazing if he did that…I would almost feel weird asking that."

It wouldn't hurt to ask. It's not like he's going to sue you for harassment or something like that. He's pretty innovative, and might well look at it as a problem looking for a solution that could well be used to improve his own backpacks. Anyway, I'm about out of suggestions, so this will be my last post. Best of luck.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

So I ordered the MLD water bottle pocket for the shoulder strap. I really hope this works..otherwise I may just have to contact someone..thanks for all input BPL..I will report back with results for those who care.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I'm looking to buy the new MLD Core in the relative near future and I'm ready to go this route. Any updates from manufacturers already making this before I hit up Zimmerbuilt for a custom one?

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

My first Dana ensigns Terra plane came with the Wet Rib front pouch option. A 5" X 8" zippered pouch with a water bottle holder on one end, attached to the lower webbing of my shoulder straps.

I used it for many years but it was made from heavy oxford pack cloth and i wanted a lighter one but was too lazy to make one.

Then I got one of the last Seek Outside light silnylon wet ribs and it's what I now have on my Osprey EXOS 58. I like the idea of carrying some weight in front as a bit of a balance to the pack on my back.

I wish Seek Outside would make these again. Having easy access to maps, compass, electrolyte powder, Steripen, GPS, water/electrolyte drink, snacks, etc. is really nice. Personally I don't like stowing a bottle in a pack mesh side pocket, irregardless whether it has a foreword angle or not.

So if you're into DIY projects just make one for yourself with all the internal pouches and pockets you desire. I recommend a "waterproof" top zipper, narrow nylon webbing and matching buckles. You'll need a QR buckle and a THREE slot ladder slide for each side. You lower webbing shoulder straps go thru the ladder slides and the vertical QR buckle strap (from the pouch) thru the side slot. It's NOT a slide found in REI.

P.S. I think Mystery Ranch still sells the "Wet Rib" front pouch. I didn't find it in their online catalog but a call to them may turn up one.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"So if you're into DIY projects just make one for yourself"

Yeah I keep making these grandiose claims about how I'm going to conquer my sewing machine phobia and conquer the world, then take one look at the sewing machine, and then go find something else to do.

This does appear to be a good sewing project for me to take on.

Mario Caceres
    BPL Member

@mariocaceres

Locale: San Francisco

In my last backpacking trip I tried with good results a very simple solution. I used a relatively thick shockcord (I think it was 3/32") and a 20oz gatorade bottle (which like many other bottles has a rib around the upper middle). The shockcord was cinched tight with a ball style cordlock (I guess any properly sized cordlock would work OK) around the rib of the gatorade and my shoulder strap (Golite Jam 50).

I was expecting the bottle to bounce around or slide as I was hiking but it was quite comfortable and the bottle stayed put. Part of the route I was doing was even crosscountry / class 3 terrain and no problem at all.

Not sure this will work with your backpack (The shoulder straps of the golite are pretty beefy) but you may want to give it a try if you have some shock cord / cord lock laying around. Again the key is in the shape of the bottle. It needs to have a rib.

Water bottle set up

edit: Picture added to show setup. Not exactly the best picture, unfortunately the only one I have, but I normally would cinch the bottle a bit higher up the shoulder strap.

Tom D.
    BPL Member

@dafiremedic

Locale: Southern California

"This does appear to be a good sewing project for me to take on"

It is one of the more simple ones. I looked for a shoulder pouch for a while, but none really fit what I was looking for so I made my own out of a Silnylon scrap I had left over. Basically a stuff sack sized to my usual Smart Water bottle, with nylon straps (velcro'd) that go around the shoulder strap and a single elastic band around it to keep it from bouncing while walking fast. Total weight was .3 oz.

Rich K.
    Spectator

@scrabbler

Mario – I use the same idea, except no barrel lock. I simply tie a properly sized knot in the cord for the bottle i use – the 20oz Gatorade that you show in you pic. The shock cord has enough stretch to put the bottle in and out without issue. Simpler, lighter.

Mario Caceres
    BPL Member

@mariocaceres

Locale: San Francisco

Thanks for the suggestion Rick. Yes, I think a "properly sized knot" may work just fine.

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

As with most climbing packs, my cilogear did not come with side pockets. While I typically carry my water in the pack, there's every once in a while when I’d like the functional equivalent of a water bottle pocket. I found that my chalk bag fit my one liter nalgene like it was made for it and has a slot that you can slide either a compression strap or waist belt through. I went to the outdoor store and found a chalk bag in the bargain bin, pulled out the lining to lighten it up and had the perfect removable water bottle pocket. And because it had a draw string (which I left in) top I could also use it as a pocket for a camera, my phone or easy access snacks.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Nalgene, Platypus, Ultimate Direction, Eagle Creek and others have made water bottle holsters that could be slipped over the belt. What is the height of the belt where you want the holster to fit? — I might have something.

Nalgene examples at http://store.nalgene.com/category-s/37.htm

Barton
    BPL Member

@bartonhodges

I carry a 32oz Ultralite Wide Mouth Nalgene, and have found the most comfort and stability from a bottle holder that wraps fully around the hip belt of my ULA Circuit or Catalyst, instead of hanging it by the shoulder strap or load stablizer.

I originally used the Jandd Bottle Bag, but replaced the drawstring with an anchored shock cord so I could cinch it one-handed:

http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FBOTB

But, I recently started using the HMB Porter Water Holder, which is lighter. I modified the webbing so that the buckle clips below the bottle, and not on the side, which would be pretty uncomfortable against my side otherwise.

https://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/accessories/water-bottle-holder-nalgene.html

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Brian Cizek
    BPL Member

@hbbpc

Here is a review on the Aquaclip water bottle holder showing pictures how its attached to the shoulder or sternum strap of the backpack http://www.trailspace.com/gear/other/aquaclip/

Terry Sparks
    Spectator

@firebug

Locale: Santa Barbara County Coast

The side pockets I use for water bottles on my pack are slanted at 45*, which makes it easy and efficient to hike all day without taking the pack off my back.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Never mind…

Chris Mescia
    BPL Member

@cmescia

Mchale makes a side pocket you can mount vertically or at an angle to easily pull a bottle in and out and not have it on the shoulder strap or hip belt.  It has a cinch for adjustability.

John H
    BPL Member

@hogie

+1 on Mario’s paracord method.  I’ve been using that to secure two gatorade bottles to my shoulder straps and have never had any drops or stability issues.  I simply can’t chicken wing my arm around to easily extract and return bottles to the side pockets.  I loop the paracord just above the sternum strap to keep the bottles high enough so they won’t interfere with my arms while walking.

Don Burton
    Spectator

@surfcam310

Locale: City of Angels

Here are some pics of a shoulder water bottle pouch I made using 210 Dyneema and mesh. Very similar to the MLD ones but it has both a swivel snap hook and a Slik Clip. You can see that the swivel snap hook I included allows you to attach it to Gossamer Gear straps because they don’t have ladder lock attachment points (I think that’s what they’re called or Daisy chain?). You can see in the second picture that the Slik Clip doesn’t get in the way but will still allow me to attach it to nearly every other type of pack.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I have an insulated beer bottle holder. Says Corona on it. I can fit a Naked Juice sized bottle in it, which is enough.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools