Topic

Water bottle holder

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Water bottle holder

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Does anyone make a water bottle holder that can attach to a hip belt such as a hipster from Gossamer Gear? I am still in search of some kind of water bottle holder for my GG G4 pack as the side pockets are much too large for me to access and return any water bottle while on the move. I do not use a bladder..so that's not an option. There has to be someone out there that has a solution to this dilemma for hikers on the go other then to remove the pack every time I want some water. I am not sure if MLD water bottle shoulder straps will work on the GG G4 shoulder straps. Anyone have any ideas or solutions or am I the only person with this problem?

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I'm considering the same thing. If I go this way, I'm going to contact Zimmerbuilt to see if he will modify one of these.

http://www.zimmerbuilt.com/store/p26/Water_Bottle_Pocket.html

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Not sure if this is useful to you with a G4 or not, but in my older GG Gorilla, a tall Smartwater bottle sticks out of the pocket far enough that it's easy to remove.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

I have the same problem using pack side pockets. Impossible for me to access and return a bottle on the run. I do however prefer to use the pack side pockets over something as large as a liter bottle hanging from my hip belt. I simply rigged a drinking hose to a soda bottle cap with a rubber grommet and drilled a tiny hole for a breather. The run of hose and bite valve are 54 grams but you could subtract the weight of the extra hip belt pouch to justify and the hose can do double duty for those who gravity feed. I also really like no hands drinking on the run. Just a thought.

jimmybdrink hose

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I have never understood the need to drink while moving. Once in a while I may slip off a UL pack and grab a water bottle, but I usually stop around once an hour to drink. I am never in such a hurry that I can't stop briefly to drink water, and I actually look forward to my rest stops. In cooler weather those stops may be extended to two hour intervals or scenic spots on my route.

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

Nick I certainly don't NEED to sip water on the run. I could suffer most of the day without doing so. For myself and I'm sure others like the OP it is nice to wet a dry throat periodically, especially in very dry and dusty climates. It also makes a nice reward after a long uphill grind ect. Personally I don't understand the need to stop for water breaks when I can satisfy my bodies need for fluid while joyfully hiking along,so to each his own I Guess :)

jimmyb

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Well the G4 side pockets are HUGE..so there is no way to grab and replace the water bottle.
    The idea of the tube in the water bottle is clever..but I will be using my G4 for winter use only..so that tube will be good as frozen.
    I understand that it's fine to stop and take a drink..no I may not be in a rush..but I do not feel the need to remove my pack every time I am thirsty or take a stop. It's usually light enough and comfortable on me that I don't need to take it off. And I drink lots of water so I don't find it necessary to stop every time I want a swig of water. .it's nice to stroll along and take a sip of water without having to take a rest stop every time…that's just me.

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

"The idea of the tube in the water bottle is clever..but I will be using my G4 for winter use only..so that tube will be good as frozen."

Yup, that's for sure. Maybe time to MYOG?

jimmyb

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

I just us a Nalgene bottle and clip the cap retainer loop to the lower end of the pack shoulder strap with a mini biner.

Have been doing this for decades

Billy

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

eeek..the nalogen bottle is a bit big and bulky to be hanging from my shoulder strap. I am looking to hold a small size smart water bottle..
    good idea though to strap it on your shoulder strap and since it works for you for so long..i hear ya.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

Though clipped to the shoulder strap it hands down at around the waist level.

You can take some light weight webbing and tape it to any bottle you want… making a loop over the top and down the other side and use a mini biner to clip that to any place you like on your pack…

Billy

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Possibly possibly.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Why not use ULA's technique and bungee Gatorade bottles to the shoulder straps?

I've been doing so for years and couldn't be happier.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I LOVE ULA system. In fact it's what I used to do on my CDT. It doesn't work on the G4 for some reason. I tried to make it myself and it didn't hold…that would have been my ideal system if it worked.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

When you say it didn't work — why?

If the cord didn't hold (which I had happen too), use about 1/8" cord and tie an overhand knot in it. Doesn't slip for me.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Yes the bottle slipped out..but if I remember correctly..I am out right now, there was no way to set the cords properly on the G4 straps…

Anonymous
    Inactive

" There has to be someone out there that has a solution to this dilemma for hikers on the go other then to remove the pack every time I want some water."

In fact, there is an answer to your wish; it's called the ULA OHM. The OHM side pockets allow easy retrieval and replacement of water bottles up to at least one liter while on the move. I've never come across another pack so well designed in that regard. Why ULA doesn't put the same side pockets on all its packs remains one of the great mysteries of the universe.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

My gossamer gear murmur hyperlight has side pockets that I can get my water bottle and put it back easily while hiking..so no..it's not just ULA Ohm.

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Locale: Arrowhead

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Obviously you have not seen or used a GG G4 pack.

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Locale: Arrowhead

Anonymous
    Inactive

"My gossamer gear murmur hyperlight has side pockets that I can get my water bottle and put it back easily while hiking..so no..it's not just ULA Ohm."

Ah. Sorry, I had no idea you already had a pack that does the trick. I guess the question confused me. Also, I confess to being a little bit of an OHM bigot. ;0))

The obvious question that occurs to me is why not get a duplicate set of pockets made for your GG G4? If they're integrated into the body of the pack, it'll be a lot more stable and easier to use, as well as less likely to hang up on brush, rocks, etc, if you do off trail hiking. Perhaps Glenn at GG would do the job as a custom mod? Or maybe Joe over at Z-packs would do it. There has to be someone willing to do what seems to be a relatively easy mod. My 2 cents.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Do any of you practice getting water bottles in and out of the side pockets in the mirror at home?"

No. It was as natural as breathing, from the get go. It's one of many reasons I fell in love with the OHM.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Pockets of the Ohm are pretty hard to beat. I never had to practice with my prophet but it's certainly not as easy.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools