Topic

Caldera Cone fit?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Caldera Cone fit?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Sharon Bingham
    BPL Member

@cowboisgirl-2

Locale: Southwest

So, I just got my very first Caldera Cone system – for the AGG 1.3L pot. I'm super excited.

Whipped out the pot and set (pushed) it into the cone to test fit. But the fit surprised me. It FITS, but very snugly. And I am now wondering how I will get the pot out of the cone when it's hot – say, once my water is boiling? The AGG pot doesn't have any handles, which may present additional challenges.

I know a few of you have this setup. Can anyone comment on whether or not this has been an issue for them, and if so, how they tackle it?

Bill B
    BPL Member

@bill123

I don't have this exact set up, but all cones have this problem. TD says that the cone will loosen up with use, although I doubt that the cone will ever loosen up so much that it will stay on the ground when you lift up the pot. You can grip the pot with a bandana if you don't fill the pot too high. I use an MSR pot gripper. I put a spoon or my spark stick thing into one of the airholes in the bottom of the cone and push down on the cone to help seperate it from the pot. Alterneatively, you could just leave the cone attached to the pot when pouring liquid from the pot. This might cause a problem for the exposed stove in high wind though.

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Mostly I just leave the cone attached to pour water. When I want to pull the pot out I put my thumb nail in one of the bottom vents while lifting with the pot gripper.

Mitchell Keil

@mitchellkeil

Locale: Deep in the OC

read my review of the Caldera Cone sytem with the exact pot you have. I address this issue.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

"Mostly I just leave the cone attached to pour water."

Yeah, as odd as it may seem, the cone really doesn't get in the way of this…

Sharon Bingham
    BPL Member

@cowboisgirl-2

Locale: Southwest

Funny, I had the same thought – just leave the cone attached – why not? Especially if you have a pot gripper (I'll need to get one).

Comforting to know I'm not the only one who thought of that…

Sam .

@samurai

Locale: NEPA

What all the He's said.

Pick up the whole thing and pour. But, if you're eating out of your pot, this may become awkward ;-)

Take pictures of that for us, okay?

Michael DeHart

@spocker4464

I leave the cone on the pot (MSR ti kettle)….even when eating…cone cools quickly allowing you to hold to the pot without using some sort of protection from the heat….also pot with cone attached is very stable…..If i were to modify my cone I would not have the slot for the handles…..great system

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

I pour the liquid with the cone attached, and do not consider it a problem at all. When the water is ready to pour I don't care if the stove goes out as I am done with it.
    Anyone else waiting on their first cone?

Matthew Roberts

@matthewjamesroberts

Locale: San Fernando Valley

I have a Titan Kettle.
    I was thinking about wrapping a strip of 1 1/2" Kevlar tape around the pot just under the lip. The addition of the tape would cause the kettle to sit higher. 1 1/2" higher to be exact.

Similar to how the Heini keg wrapped in kevlar thread insulates the backpacking chef's fingers from burning, my kevlar tape would in theory insulate my fingers when picking up the pot. This would save me from having to pack and use a pot gripper.

…your thoughts.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

The Caldera Cones are specifically designed to work with your pot fully seated. Raising the pot, especially 1.5" will seriously degrade the performance of the system.

Might I suggest removing the handles from your pot and installing a Titanium Bicycle Spoke bail. The bail raises my Evernew 0.9L pot about 1mm. And… the bail weighs less than any handle, or pot lifter.

Evernew 0.9L pot with Ti Spoke Bail
    Ti Spoke Bail on Evernew 0.9L Ti pot

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools