Topic

Good lightweight fixed blade knife + sheath, preferably straight + serrated blade

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Good lightweight fixed blade knife + sheath, preferably straight + serrated blade

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Pete Wilson

@muddy-pete

Locale: east coast

It's a good knife. Weighs in around (less then?) 2oz. It's tool steel and is prone to rust really quickly if not taken care of.

Brian Hall
    BPL Member

@brian2o0o

Check out the bark river bravo necker and the rat izula.

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Support yet another cottage industry

http://www.michaelmorrisknives.com/current.php

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

I realize this is an OLD thread, but since it's been resurrected I thought I should point something out.
    While I am a big Mora fan, they do not have sheaths that are adequate for being carried upside down, IMO. Unless you make(have made) a sheath with better retention. Some are better than others, but all of the ones I have, will fall out with a good jarring.

Also, someone commented about the tang length of Mora's. Some models are close to full length, while other do have very short tangs. personally I like to stick with the original and the #510:

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/1704/xrayv.jpg

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

You don't need to be that worried about "breaking" a mora. You are more likely to severely damage the edge to a point where it would be a huge hassle to sharpen in the field. Scandinavian grind edges can be fragile.

Karple T
    BPL Member

@ctracyverizon

Locale: Mid-Alantic

knife

Marc Clarke
    BPL Member

@marcclarke

Locale: Front Range of the Rocky Mountains

That looks like an ESEE Izula 1 with a custom orange sheath. Am I correct?

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

I think that's the Becker Eskabar (however it's spelled). It's the becker necker blade with the izula handle collabo between ESEE and Becker

Marc Clarke
    BPL Member

@marcclarke

Locale: Front Range of the Rocky Mountains

No wonder I was confused by the slightly non-Izula blade profile and the impressed logo between the blade and the scales. Thanks!

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

Thought I would revive this thread with a decent find. I was looking for a reasonably priced light weight fixed blade knife with a light sheath. I am tired of cleaning my switchblades from cheeze, hummus, salsa, etc. from the backpacking trips that I lead for incoming first year university students, so the fixed blade aspect was important to me. I stumbled upon the Ka-Bar Acheron Zombie Killing Fixed Blade Knife. Crazy name, but the specs look good: under 1 oz (knife), and the sheath, from what I can tell in review videos, is the smallest I have seen. It appears to cover only the blade, and it hugs the blade with no hanging material which should mean minimally wasted sheath weight. The knife doesnt have the best reviews from knife experts, but for under 9 bucks at bladehq.com, I couldnt pass it up. The small handle shouldnt be an issue for tackling most camp or emergency chores. I will post more info once I get the knife, but thought that it might be suitable for the OP and anyone else looking for a small, light weight, cheap fixed blade knife with sheath.

Marshall Uhl
    BPL Member

@sendcakeplease

Reviving an old thread.

I'd been on the search for a small fixed blade knife for backpacking. Lightweight, but tough as nails and also elegant. I dont like the tactical look. So, a wooden handle, something I could also use as a small knife in the kitchen and also possibly hand down to my kids.

I looked all over and finally found Bark River Knife and Tool. Their stuff is not cheap, but its all handmade with an exceptional warranty and their knives should last two or three lifetimes. I picked up a Northstar EDC and its a killer trail knife. I think they are discontinuing this model, but there are some left around and they have many small knives that are all excellent. I chose this one for the size and the blade shape. It has olivewood handles. Really looks great.

Powdered 3v steel, only about 3 oz, nice leather sheath included. Full 4 finger grip and 3.5" blade is perfect for food prep and camp chores yet it is a thick blade, full tang and so could be used for more heavy duty stuff if survival skills were needed.

Really a great little knife. Highly recommended. Mt. Ritter and Banner Peak in the background.

cheers,
    keegan

NSEDC

John G
    BPL Member

@johng10

Locale: Mid-Atlantic via Upstate NY

I have several moras that I use for bushcraft tasks including notching branches with a baton so they can be broken off the (down) tree, section info the wood into 2 ft lengths, and splitting one into kindling.

I've had the laminated (softer) blades bend into curvy shapes that matched the grain of the knotty wood I was trying to split, and I've had the wood handled moras get notches in the metal cup covering the end of the handle when the tang bent a little. However, I've never had one break :)

IMO the plastic handles moras in stainless steel are the way to go for camping. The tang on the plastic handles moras are wide and several inches long. You won't be able to break it. Try it if you're worried. They are less than $25 :).

The stainless knives are better for food prep since you don't have to clean the knife until after you've eaten :)

Also, the stainless knives like the clipper come with a boxy plastic sheath that you can wash peanut butter or jelly out of. So you can sheath the knife before you have time to clean it – so you don't have to worry about it during meals with a group :)

However, for kitchen duty you could use a victorinox paring knife. It's about 1 oz including the plastic sheath/blade cover.

I've also battonned 2.5" diameter wood with a standard 3" victorinox folding knife when I needed something dry for kindling. It works surprisingly good – the thinner blade just glides through the wood :)

I've also noticed that sawing with a folding saw is way easier than notching wood with a knife and baton. Notching wood is also very hard on a knife and requires a thick hard blade if you want it to hold up for long.

However, I find batoning to split wood a lot easier (and lighter) than using a hatchet to split wood. And for splitting wood, 1/4" thick blades don't work nearly as well as 1/8" thick blades. I find 4" long to be the best for baton splitting 3" thick branches.

T-Bone BK

@tbonebk

I picked up a Bark River Ultra Lite Bushcrafter to start carrying on longer trips. It weights a very reasonable 2.7oz but the leather sheath that it came with weighs almost the same. I'm looking for an off-the-shelf nylon or kydex sheath for a smaller knife (3-ish inch blade) but having the hardest time turning anything up online. Do I have to buy some Kydex and DIY this thing or does someone know of a vendor that may not be very Google-able?

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

There are no off the shelf kydex sheaths, they need to be custom made for each knife.

Owen McMurrey
    Spectator

@owenm

Locale: SE US

There are off-the-shelf kydex sheaths for production knives, but usually limited by what the maker has on hand. Probably not a good idea for a hand-ground knife, though, even if it's technically a "production" blade.
    For custom work, I'm behind the times. You might Google "custom kydex sheaths", check out the different makers that come up and their pricing, and look for reviews of their work.
    Wish I could recommend someone, but the guys I've had make sheaths for me in the past have either moved on to other things, are swamped with work for semi-custom makers and no longer taking orders, or were custom knifemakers who did them for me as a favor. I wouldn't know who to go to myself, now.

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools