Topic

Northern Lites Snowshoes Advice

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Northern Lites Snowshoes Advice

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Winter is fast approaching up in the north, and I'm lookiong to upgrade my snowshoes to the lightest possible package….ie. Northern Lites. I am 180 pounds, and typically carry a 15-20 pound winter pack. According to the website, I should use the backcountry model rated to 250# @ 43 oz (seems overkill). However, I am always looking to shave the ounces, so I'm hoping some of you are experienced with the northern lites/snowshoeing, as I have some specific questions.

1) Can I get away with the Elites or the Elite racers?

2) If the Elite racer (A=130in^2) is rated to 210# on harder snow and the Elite (164in^2) is rated to 175# on softer snow…is it safe to assume that because the area is larger on the elite then the elite racer, I would be able to push the elite to my weight range?

3) Is there other snowshoes that I should look into? I saw the GV Cat Trails, but the Area:weight ratio is not as appealing.

I did search a few places, including BPL but didn't find anyone in my weight range. I guess I'm looking for a person who is my size to say he uses the Elites with no problems…or someone set me straight and save me the time/money of buying 2 pairs.

Thanks,
    Steve

Edit:

Oops, I found this thread…

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/5589/index.html?skip_to_post=40988#40988

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I am also around 180lb and carry between 20-30lbs. The Elite Race has in general worked well on moderate to heavy pack snow… but in looser or softer snow I would def. want more float.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

On really hard snow/ice you would be better off with crampons.
    In fresh powder snow nothing works.
    It depends on the snow …

Steven Nelson
    BPL Member

@slnsf

Locale: Northern California

Just like Roger said: it depends on the snow.

I really like my Northern Lites Backcountry snowshoes, but there are conditions where even with them I'll sink in to my thighs (I weigh 160 + a 17-30 lb pack).

That said, I do recommend them – the traction is more than adequate until you reach conditions where crampons would be better than any snowshoes. The light weight is a big plus – my only complaint with them is that the rear strap, made of webbing, ices up.

E C

@ofelas

Locale: On the Edge

I'm 175lbs and carry ~35lbs; I find the NL Backcountry units are fine in most western powder & pretty much all wetter snow, and the Elites kinda marginal…then again, depends on which part of Canada the original [poster is from, but I'd still go with the Backcountry pair for that slight extra margin of use.
    As far as the strap icing up – I've had great luck in spraying them with a type of penetrant/lubricant called 'Release-All' before a trip – non toxic, bio-degradable, enviro friendly etc. etc. and available at your neighborhood Canadian Tire for $3.99.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools