Topic

42.5gram (1.5oz) low profile remote canister stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 42.5gram (1.5oz) low profile remote canister stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle

This is my latest stove, a SUL low profile side feed remote canister stove that is designed so it can be used with a windshield or the pot supports can be removed so it can fit under a Caldera cone.

The stove is still in its early development and is a concept that I have been working on for a few months the stove still needs some tuning.

The canister is a small Butane canister that fits into the Firelite 550 pot along with the stove. The total weight of the stove, canister (empty), windshield (end2end Trail Supply) and pot+bag is currently 136.8g (4.825oz), the canister can hold up to 30g (1.058oz) of fuel, which can boil 3liters of water. The pot sits 36mm (1.417”) off the ground on pot supports that are at 25mm (0.984”) radius and. The stove feet fold under the mixing tube so it can be packed away into a small bag.

The stove and valve with pot supports weigh in at 42.5g (1.5oz) and without the pot supports 39.4g (1.39oz).

Tony

Low profile stove
    Low profile stove working
    Complete stove
    Stove unpacked
    Stive working

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

WOW! Nice job Tony! What did you use for the fuel line? Also, that windscreen looks a little low. Have you tested it outside and is it effective?

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Hi Jason,

"Have you tested it outside and is it effective"

Not yet I only finished it yesterday, I am going bush tomorrow and I plan to use it then. It still needs some tuning an some more weight reduction.

Tony

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Nice looking flame color and pattern!
    Can this stove be regulated, is there a valve?

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Fantastic – Fantastic – Fantastic

Does it require priming to pre-heat the generator?

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Hi Michael,

Yes I can regulate and I can also set the maximum flow.

Tony
    small valve
    Range of valves

Brian James

@bjamesd

Locale: South Coast of BC

Beautiful work!

I always wondered why there wasn't a similar stove on the market: a butane-burning equivalent to an alcohol burner, if you will. Low-powered, ultra-low weight, and useful with a real windscreen. Why on earth is the lightest remote canister stove still 6 ounces, and massively over-engineered?

Planning to go into production?

EDIT: PS if you build such a burner to work in a Caldera cone, may I humbly suggest that you omit feet altogether? If possible, just allow a titanium tent peg to be inserted straight through the center of the burner and into the ground, pinning it in place. No muss, no fuss, and probably more stable than any other stove!

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Hi Brian,

“Planning to go into production?”

I wish I could, even if I can come up with a stove that could be produced cheaply, canister stoves have to be approved by the relevant organizations in each country, in Australia it can cost between $2000-$10000 let alone what the US gas authority would charge. I do not have these sorts of funds behind me, designing and making stoves will have to stay my hobby.

“just allow a titanium tent peg to be inserted straight through the center of the burner and into the ground, pinning it in place. No muss, no fuss, and probably more stable than any other stove!”

Yes it is possible to put a stake in the base and I have considered this option before. The Caldera option is actually fairly stable with no feet and the stove weighs 33.4g without them, the burner is 14.6g of that. The feet are not that heavy and would help to locate the burner in the middle of the base of the pot.

Tony

Caldera basic option

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Tony

Brilliant! You sure have been busy while I was away. That is looking really good.

Cheers
    Roger

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

very, very nice… very cool too…

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Hi Dan,

"Does it require priming to pre-heat the generator?"

I have not tried it in cold conditions yet but as the generator tube is thin wall SS tubing it should not need priming.

Tony

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Hi Tony,

I thought the gnerator was the thin tube extending over the burner jets.

Why does the thin tube extend there? Is a pre-heat function?

In one of your photos you show the fuel canister in the upside down position. Is it feeding liquid through the tube to the burner?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Dan

Tony has gone walking this weekend, so I'll fill in for him.
    > I thought the gnerator was the thin tube extending over the burner jets.
    > Why does the thin tube extend there? Is a pre-heat function?
    'Generator' because the first versions were used to generate kerosene vapour from liquid kero in the first Primus stoves. Yes, it is also called a pre-heat tube.

> In one of your photos you show the fuel canister in the upside down position. Is it feeding liquid through the tube to the burner?
    Yep, that's the idea. Winter use: rather than freeze up the canister by evaporating the liquid inside it, you use the flame heat to vaporise the liquid gas at the burner. Just the same as a liquid fuel stove: it IS a liquid fuel stove.

Cheers

Andrew :-)

@terra

Locale: Sydney, Australia.

Tony,
    Just say the word.

(I have been looking at Roger's stove set-up and holding off on a canister type but am eager to have a light alternative to alcohol/esbit for use on main range etc).

Brian James

@bjamesd

Locale: South Coast of BC

erm, I didn't mean "officially" go into production. That involves regulation, royalties, certifications, and worst of all *taxes*!

I meant something decidedly more, well, low-key. Just to make your hobby self-sustaining ;)

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Wow. An astounding stove. And amazingly light. Would that I were a machinist.

HJ

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

Locale: Scotland

Hey Jim
    I am no machinist either, but with a little ingenuity it is still possible to make a 105g remote canister stove.

ziff house

@mrultralite

like a toolroom job to me, would go nicely w/ my new pack.

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Thanks for the comments.

This is the stove that I now use for solo use, Roger has done some CO testing on it and the CO readings are very good. It can use STD canister and Coleman Max canisters.

Tony

latest SUUL stove

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=16222&skip_to_post=122712#122712

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Tony, what is the largest size pot of water that would be practical to try to boil with that thing, assuming that a simple wind screen is used?

–B.G.–

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Hi Bob,

>Tony, what is the largest size pot of water that would be practical to try to boil with that thing, assuming that a simple wind screen is used?

I have used a 1.5 liter pot on it but the stove burner is a bit small for that size and it was a bit slow, I now use a 1 liter ally pot.

Tony

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"ally?"

Aluminium, or aluminum?

One liter is a good size.

–B.G.–

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

Tony – what kind of connections do you use from the metal tubing (generator, output tube from canister valve assembly) to the flexible tubing, and what kind of tubing are you using – both metal and flexible?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

alumium if you want to be original.
    Here we spell it the English way…
    Franco

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Hi Paul,

> what kind of connections do you use from the metal tubing (generator, output tube from canister valve assembly) to the flexible tubing, and what kind of tubing are you using – both metal and flexible?

The flexable tubing is PFA tubing the metal tubing is some hard drawn SS hypodermic, the connections are homemade, I silver soldered on some brass sleeves on the end of the generator tube and the plastic tubing is crimped on with some brass crimp sleeves.

Tony

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools