Topic

What to do????HELP….

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique What to do????HELP….

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Don (Biloxi) Carter

@donjuan70

Locale: Red Neck Riviera

hey,I am in need of some advice.I have been prepairing and planning for my 09 AT hike,and at the same time getting preliminary info for the PCT as well..and as I am doing this my wife has been there watching the DVD's and looking at the books and listening to my plans ..well the other day she floors me with the statement that she now wants to go with me on a thru but ..she wants to do the PCT not the AT.I have alot of preperations for the AT not so much for the PCT as of yet.she has some ankle and knee problems and the 1st 700 miles of dessert will proubly be more forgiving then the 1st 700 AT miles so that makes sense.but resupply and bail out points would be more abundant on the AT..as well as lots more amenities at alot closer intervals on the AT ..but she seems pretty set on the idea…should I try to convince her to do the AT or just start prepairing for the PCT????

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

You've got a long time to prepare still. If my wife said she would hike either thru with me I'd do whichever she chose. Unfortunately life dicates no long thru's yet for us. Start slow, build her strength and she should be fine by 2009.

Jason Shaffer

@pa_jay

Locale: on the move....

I couldn't agree more. Sharing a thru-hike with the love of your life is a very special opportunity, and you've got plenty of time to prepare. Potential bailout points aren't exactly scarce on the southern PCT. Amenities might be more of an issue, but prior prep, good gear and a good resupply strategy can go a long way to address that concern. I'd be floored too. Best of luck!

Don (Biloxi) Carter

@donjuan70

Chris and jason thanks for feedback..yea I think I will just start planning on the PCT ..I was pretty shocked that she wants to try..and I think it would be awsome to do it with my wife..I am sure she can do it..I am gonna start her here on a flat trail of 5 miles to this beautiful lake then rest get water and 5 miles back..then slowly move up to do all 29 of the tuxachanie with lots of camp setup and over nights..then do the black creek its 41 miles end to end..then work up to a out and back..do a little of the AT in NC"we have lots of family there" and we are not far from the pinhoti.maybe do some of that…I figure if she can do that…she will be ready..we shall see…

Matt Brodhead

@mattbrodhead

Locale: Michigan

And if you finish the hike and you are still married, you'll know that you have found a keeper.

Don (Biloxi) Carter

@donjuan70

yea..no doubt..well I have already told her if she wants to quit …fine, but my hike continues.I will get her somewhere safe and heading home..but I ain't stoppin..outside of a serious injury..seee ya at the end.she knows what I do and she married me anyway…but I hope she really pushes and doesn't give in and quit.I know she can if she diggs deep even when she dont want to..I am a pretty good motivator..firm but fair..either she wants it or she dont..thats each individuals personal choice push or cave..ain't know gray areas.but I keep telling her to really think about it before she commits5-6 months is a llooonnnng time..but to accomplish a thru with my wife would be unreal..to have that bond and expieriance together wow.it will all work out.so yea PCT it is

Ross Novak

@aurator

Don-FWIW the PCT is less forgiving than the AT at the beginning. The desert section is full of "must make" mileage days because of the distance between water sources. Coupled with this is at least 6 liters of water added to your base weight so you will be carrying a much heavier load on the PCT. It is generally discussed that on the AT you can go slow and hike yourself into shape but the PCT requires that you are fit to start with to carry the heavier load and make the necessary miles in the desert heat. Best of luck.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

You could always buck the trend and go southbound. You'll have less bugs in the Sierras and the Deserts will be much more bearable in the early fall. Just depends on what kind of snow year it is going to be. Just some food for thought. Best of luck.

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

If it were me again…

Plan to do everything you can to make this as a couple. If that means sherpaing extra weight at the start then so be it. If that means bringing a tent instead of a tarp/bivy then fine. Of course by 2009 you should know what you're both capable of but finishing any long thru like this really would be the experience of a lifetime IMO. There is nothing like seeing your SO grow and perservere over time and do things they thought were next to impossible and you'd have so many memories you'd never forget.

Alan Garber

@altadude

No real advice……….

Just envy…….

I would love to do something like that with my wife.

We have been married over 25 years but have different ideas about outdoor pursuits……..and as we age together I find I want to spend less and less time away from her-which means fewer extended outings in the backcountry…

Oh well, I am still working on her.

I agree with those who said, carpe wifem: do whatever she wants……

but why does she want to do the PCT and not the AT?

Linsey Budden

@lollygag

Locale: pugetropolis

The PCT is graded for stock and that makes all the difference for me. While it(at least the sections I've been on) does traverse alot, I know it will never get evil steep like the stories I've heard about the AT's PUD's. After section hikes with my husband (and it's always he that invites himself on my hikes), I end up with separation anxiety when we get back to the rat race and have to go in different directions. That part is tough, but I do feel incredibly close to him after say 2 1/2 weeks (so far our max hike) alone together.

Don (Biloxi) Carter

@donjuan70

Well everything is still looking like a go.I ordered her pack,and ordered a couple Dri-clime jackets.I ordered some topo and ariel software.we are in process of working out some shorter shakedown hikes localy.I am very excited at the prospect of shareing a thru with my wife.09 is still a ways off and I may go ahead and squeeze the AT in by myself for 08.the reason she wants to do the PCT is for the beauty and less killer dramatic elevation changes in grading.and she has some family in CA and CO if she needed to pull off.thanks to everyone for your support and feedback.also I normaly hang my hammock but need to do the tent thing with her,so what do you think about eather a TT cloudburst or a golite hex as our shelter for this PCT thru

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools