Topic

Frosting lens of LED lantern

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Frosting lens of LED lantern

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

I now have two LED lanterns, mainly for car-camping. Both are too bright even at the lower settings, and have too much glare. I'm considering somehow frosting the outermost cylindrical plastic housings (not the LED's themselves) to diffuse the light.

Any suggestions on how best to frost the plastic? Sandpaper? Chemicals? I used to have access to a small sand-blaster, but not any more.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

I think sandpaper would work.

I also think removing the plastic and, using white spray paint, spray from a good distance in short bursts. You can apply a second coat later if needed. Maybe????

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Here's a frosted film available at Home Depot for $9. Enough you and 6000 of your closest friends to diffuse their lanterns and flashlights.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Con-Tact-Frosty-288-in-x-18-in-Clear-Liner-24F-C9908-06VP/100388917

Michael Gunderloy
    BPL Member

@ffmike

Rust-Oleum and Krylon both make spray-on frosting for glass. Might work on plastic too.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

But simplest: try a small area with very fine sandpaper. That should be easy to do with a plastic housing. If you like it, do the whole thing.

Back in white-gas Coleman lantern days, some of them had frosted glass only where you'd have direct line-of-sight to the mantle (LED in your case). The rest of the glass was left unfrosted, I suppose for greater transmittance and also so you could see inside when you went to light the lantern.

Coleman Lantern

Edited to add photo.

Frank T

@random_walk

Locale: San Diego

I have heard that putting a strip of scotch tape over a LED biking light lens gives good results. Try that first; it's easy enough to hit the reset button and remove it if you don't like it.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

+1 on Frank's Scotch tape idea. There are multiple styles of 3M's Scotch Tape, but one of them is distinctly frosted, not clear.

Frank T

@random_walk

Locale: San Diego

David, yes, it may be called "Magic Tape" but it's definitely frosted. It's the kind you can write on.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

It just seems wrong to frost the lens because it's too bright.

Why don't LED lights have a low enough setting?

Then the battery would last longer

It seems like they're more focused about having a higher lumens spec than other lights

Matthew Turner
    BPL Member

@annex138

I used scotch tape on my $5 mini walmart lantern it made a big difference.

Stephen Parks
    Spectator

@sdparks

Locale: Southwest

If you want to sand, I'd try wet sanding at 1000 – 2000 grit.

Jesse Anderson
    BPL Member

@jeepin05

Locale: Land of Enchantment

I used a green scotchbrite pad on the old Brunton Lantern I used to carry. I didn't want to reduce the light, but rather diffuse it a little more. It worked great. I just wrapped the pad around the globe of the lantern and with a little squeezing pressure, twisted the lantern around a few times. It came out with a very nice brushed finish and the light is much more even than it had been before.
    It's too bad that thing was so heavy, is was pretty nice to light up a tent at night. Ah, back when carrying 50lbs was the norm…

Zorg Zumo

@burnnotice

Just use Scotch tape. It works. And it will come off if you don't leave it on for a couple years.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools