Topic

booze, drinks, etc

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition booze, drinks, etc

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Matt Brodhead

@mattbrodhead

Locale: Michigan

If you're like me, you like to have a drink (or two, or three, or four) after dinner. Carrying alcohol in a backpack isn't always practical (this weekend I threw a 5th of Absolute in my bag just for tickles, but it weighed my down considerably).

So I'd like to hear your favorite drink combinations so I can enjoy my alcoholism and lighten my load.

Go!

Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

Ouzo… it's not just for breakfast anymore.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

I used to bring Tequila with Crystal light during the early season. Mix it in with some snow and I had a rather tasty concoction. Later switched to Vodka with Crytal Light but the taste did nothing for me. Since then I have switched to Single Malt Scotch as my taste's have been refined with old age. Most of the time I like to pick one night out of a multi day trip and sip some Hyland Single Malt whilst watching the fire and reflecting on the days hike. Quite relaxing I might add. Alcohol is not for everyone on trips and some might say it is better left at home. I enjoy it though.

Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

If you like the taste of nature try some Jenever straight up.

Matt Brodhead

@mattbrodhead

I like the idea of purchasing something a little more expensive, because it does not require any additives. The single malt scotch sounds especially fantastic, and I think I may just give it a whirl the next time I head out.

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

i like cheap rum. anything in the hills tastes better and hits harder, so it don't take but a whiff to do the trick. and of course, cheap is always nice too. in canada they have these very excellent 7oz plastic bottles of gin, vodka, all that rot. take two, burn them when empty. just the perfect perfect size.

Jesse Glover

@hellbillylarry

Locale: southern appalachians

I like vodka and sleepytime tea. Also vodka and hot gatorade (really). But mostly I smoke grass. The (in)famous AT hiker baltamore jack carrys 2 fifths of JB at all times (1.5 liters of booze). No wonder his pack weighs 50 pounds.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I'm thinking of bringing a little something along with me if I thru hike the Ozark Trail this coming Spring Break. I'll actually be of age to buy it on my own by then plus it will help me fall asleep after the 30 mile days on my little GG Nightlight. I've currently got some Capitan Morgan and Dr. Pepper. Its a nice little treat after homework…
    I'm a big fan of Jeremiah Weed actually. If you can find it, pick some up and enjoy. Nothing better than some 100 proof whiskey.

Adam

Matt Brodhead

@mattbrodhead

The grass is definitely lighter…

I like the hot gatorade idea. I bet I could fix up a nice drink by purchasing some of the gatorade mix powder. Do you prefer a specific flavor with your vodka?

P. P.

@toesnorth

Locale: PNW

It is a nice sipping drink in camp and lends itself well to cooking, i.e. bananas flambe with which I dazzle fellow trekkers.

David Neumann
    BPL Member

@idahomtman

Locale: Southern Oregon Coast

Great discussion thread. I like to take a little bit of single malt scotch. Glenlivet 12 or 18 year old is my preferred beverage. I suppose someone will suggest taking Everclear or some other 190 proof grain spirits and mix with some Crystal Light for the true multiple-use beverage item. It can always be used as fuel in the Pepsi can stove!

Matt Brodhead

@mattbrodhead

"I can't boil my water because I drank all of my fuel."

— sad words, but not unlikely…

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

"I suppose someone will suggest taking Everclear or some other 190 proof grain spirits and mix with some Crystal Light for the true multiple-use beverage item."

Yes — apart from a backup stove fuel, it's also a disinfectant and hand cleaner. I don't suspect many people use it as their primary fuel, it's more expensive and less readily available. I carry a few ounces as backup fuel, hence I'm comfortable carrying just barely enough denatured alcohol to cook my dinners. Towards the end of a trip if/when I know I have enough regular fuel for the stove, then I can take a celebratory nip on the last night or two.

And indeed, Crystal Light is the lightest and least bulky flavor powder I'm aware of. This is also multi-use for me — it doesn't offer all the electrolytes or other promises of sport drink powders, but it helps me stay hydrated. I tend to come back from a trip more dehydrated otherwise (um, even if no alcohol is involved …).

David Wills

@willspower3

i would agree with the everclear, but if you want the lightest load possible, mix it with gatorade. it lets you carry even less everclear because the gatorade gets it to your blood quicker making it more potent. yes, the mixture has been known to cause alcohol poisoning on unsuspecting, but in extreme moderation can be effective at saving weight(2 shots max). You can also take into account the extra calories in everclear- 190cal per ounce, as part of your diet! just remember to never take it straight- it almost burns as bad as brushing your teeth with too much Dr. bronners

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

Except for the southern portion of the PCT this coming spring, I'll stick to crystal light. Gatorade is heavier and bulkier. It's impressive how little crystal light powder is needed to add a lot of flavor to water (or to whatever).

Patrick Slattery

@slats32

I take some Absinthe with me when I have it. A little goes a long way. Probably not as much as everclear but it tends to be more fun than regular booze.

I usually just drink it straight but I've tried doing the whole melting sugar on a spoon thing once but was too much of a waste of fuel.

It's a little expensive and quite a pain to acquire while living in the land of the free where everything's illegal.

You also have to take care not to cut your ear off.

Graham Sims

@jenner

For a classy approach you can get some wine-in-a-box (there's more then just Franzia now) and take the bladder out of the box. Re-inflate for use as pillow after consumed.

Matt Brodhead

@mattbrodhead

You've just described a normal weekend of mine.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Whaddaya mean "backup stove fuel"??? Why backup? Everclear is more efficient than denatured because the methyl in denatured has a lower BTU content.

And with Crystal Light and a splash of water, EC makes a pretty good redneck collins.

Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

Locale: Southwest GA

Good. Irish. Whiskey.

Why mix something when perfection's already been achieved? ;)

Tom

E C

@ofelas

Locale: On the Edge

A quart of bourbon…

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

"For a classy approach you can get some wine-in-a-box"

This made me laugh…I routinely carry 2-3 litres of quality red wine in a box when doing a few nights with my girlfriend…it helps her sleep when the "rabid bears" (a.k.a. chipmunks) make too much noise at night. :)

Paul Luther
    BPL Member

@eredluin

Locale: Northeast

Aye, it's single malt for me. Macallan 12 yr. to be exact.
    Paul

Chris Fothergill
    Spectator

@bwca51964

Locale: Minnesota

There is no need for a camp fire while your sipping Laphroaig 10 or 15 year single malt scotch.

scri bbles
    BPL Member

@scribbles

Locale: Atlanta, GA

I use Everclear as my main fuel source. I don't find it terribly expensive, I just picked up a 1.75L bottle for $28. For quite possibly the most versatile piece of gear on your list, its worth it right? Non-UL'ers reactions to the idea is also well worth the investment….

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools