Topic

How do you get tree sap out of merino wool?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) How do you get tree sap out of merino wool?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Tim Cheek
    BPL Member

@hikerfan4sure

Okay, I guess I really am a tree hugger because this has happened to me twice. I've got pine sap on my smartwool merino wool hoody.

How do I get it out?

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I used white gas in the field.

Diana R
    BPL Member

@mysticmoose-2

Locale: Great Lakes region

I'd try soaking it in isopropyl alcohol. It shouldn't hurt the dye, and it's what I use to get sap off my hands or feet.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

After trying a lot of things I found that "GOO GONE" (used most often to remove label glue) it THE ticket fro removing sap from clothing. No stains, no mess. Just use it until the sap is dissolved then wash the garment as you normally would to remove the citrusy GOO GONE smell & liquid.

Eric

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

WD-40

Don Montierth
    BPL Member

@chumango

Locale: East TN

Try some mayonnaise or similar.

David King
    Spectator

@dking1005

Locale: Olympic Peninsula

The alcohol gel used for hand sanitation works as well.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I am not sure how well this might work with American saps, but you may find that a light cooking oil also works well. Then you have to wash the oil out, but that is easy enough.

Bruce Hanat
    BPL Member

@bhanat

Advise given to me by an "old and experienced" Scouter – apply insect repellent and then treat for the oily stain it will most likely leave and then wash as you normally would – it works on any material and your hands!

Sharon Bingham
    BPL Member

@cowboisgirl-2

Locale: Southwest

I've used mayonnaise or vegetable oil on tree sap with great success – on dog fur, on leather.

I've never had to use it on clothing, so you may want to try a test area first, if possible. But it works wonders on other washable surfaces. You could probably use it safely and then use Shout or similar to get out the oil spot.

I had sap on a sweatshirt once, and just washing it without treatment got it out (hail the power of laundry detergent). But to be fair, it wasn't ground in at all, it had simply dripped on the surface and sat for a few days.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I'm tellin' ya, GOO GONE is still the LEAST toxic and fastest way to remove tree sap. Try it.

Eric

Matt Ahonen

@ahonenma

Locale: Western MN

I am with Eric. I have used Goo Gone several times for sap and even caulking on a Gore-Tex jacket with no problems or stains.

Matt

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools