Topic

Collapsible water bottles – why?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Collapsible water bottles – why?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 26 post (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Doug Green
    BPL Member

@dougpgreen

Locale: North Carolina Piedmont

David,

I am curious about what you mean by "no safe drinking water" where you hike. As ultralighters one of the most important things we can do is manage water weight at 2.2 pounds per liter. A good modern water filter like a sawyer mini weights a couple of ounces and can save you pounds in water. The principles to good water weight management are to plan to re-fill at streams a lot and drink as much as you can while AT the stream. Having to carry an extra liter or even half liter of water dwarfs any issues of the weight of the container. Just something to think about.

To the original question, like some others have said I use a combination. In areas where there is water available to filter I carry 2 liters or less (depending on conditions) using 2 liter smart water bottles and carry a 2 liter collapsible for extra water for dry campsites. Where I live in the southeast I prefer dry campsites in the summer due to mosquito and other flying / biting bug issues.

Viewing 26 post (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools