Topic

My 2014 Backpacking Road Trip – Part 1

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports My 2014 Backpacking Road Trip – Part 1

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I'm a teacher so I spent much of the summer of 2014 on a road trip through the west with stops for backpacking trips, a WFR course, the APA roundup and more backpacking trips.

Here is a link to the first BPing trip which was the Pecos Wilderness area (again)

Early Summer in the Pecos

More to come

D S
    BPL Member

@onthecouchagain

Locale: Sunny SoCal

Cool trip report—nice wildlife!

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Nice TR Luke. It's pretty cool how close you were able to get to the big horn sheep.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Ian my understanding is they were hunted to extinction there then reintroduced during the 1970s. In the late 70s or early 80s my grandfather went hiking there and saw them. Back then they were so tame he could pet them. He said he would scratch this one Ewe's neck and when he stopped she would head but him!

I forgot to mention there were also one or two random Elk hanging out in the middle of the sheep herd, I think they show up in one picture.

I might have just had good luck but that's more wildlife then I've ever seen on a Pecos trip. My theory is the snow in the shady areas (i.e. the forest) may have been pushing them out into more open areas where they were more visible.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools