Topic

Exploring the Guadalupe Mountains and Pecos Wilderness

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Exploring the Guadalupe Mountains and Pecos Wilderness

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I had a fun trip in the Pecos Wilderness over spring break. I've posted a trip report here

A Bit Scared in the Pecos

There are also quick trip reports on exploring the Guadalupe Mountains. I've just set it up so my apologies if anything is a bit rough.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Luke, Thanks for the trip report. I've pondered the Guadalupe Mtns as a Spring Break option for our family. Coming out of an Alaskan winter, the temps and snow aren't an issue and we don't do well at warmer, traditional winter options like Hawaii – that's just too warm for BPing. What are the elevations where you were hiking?

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I think the lowest (and warmest) was Pine Springs TH at about 5800 ft. The "Bowl" is around 8000 ft. It could be a bit warm down low but it cooled off once you got up higher.

I might do a full article on the Guads at some point but either way feel free to PM me if you want to do a trip and I'll be happy to help you with specifics, talk to you an the phone or whatever.

Q Smith
    BPL Member

@neotechktc-com-2-2

Locale: Texas Hill Country

David,

Gumo was my first real backpacking experience. It is a unique place with incredible contrasts. The escarpment (Bush Mountain) is worth the effort and according to the rangers something few people see.

Once on top (Pine Top, Permian Reef, Tejas Trail, McKittrick Canyon campground) you hit pine, oak, and maple forests. Hard to believe that you are in Texas, or that forest can be found in those mountains. Especially since all you see as you approach Gumo is rock, dirt, cactus, and rattlers…

Day hikes: the peak, devil's canyon & devil's staircase

The wind can blow you off the mountain. I am not kidding. The frequency of high winds drops significantly in May/June.

Too hot in July/August.

Nice in late October/November (and the maples are beautiful).

Must pack water. No fires!!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools