Topic

Sarongs, Bandannas, and ‘Head tubes’

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Sarongs, Bandannas, and ‘Head tubes’

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    David Laurie

@bushwalker

Locale: NSW Australia

When it comes to having 'multiple use' gear, what could be a better example of true multi-use than having a sarong, bandanna, and one of those new-fangled lightweight head-tubes included among your basic clothes, especially for long backpacking trips and warm weather travel ?
    Just a few examples of their flexibility could include : a change of clothes (which is their original use..), bandages and tablecloth (in 3 different sizes..), protection from sun or wind, extra insulation layer, material for wrapping or repair work – these are the sort of items where the possible uses are only limited by imagination, need and circumstance..
    And a sarong would have to be the next best thing to hiking nude (and a lot more modest, at the same time – where necessary..).

Wayne Teipen

@wamyteipen

Locale: midwest

I always carry a bandana. I usually wear it on my head to combat bed head but also use it as a wash cloth, pot grabber, water pre-filter, sweat band, dish rag, dish towel, glasses defogger/cleaner, just to name a few. The standard cotton variety only weighs 0.7 oz.

Matt Brodhead

@mattbrodhead

Locale: Michigan

Also a great way to keep your neck warm at night, during those screaming blizzards we love so much.

Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

Locale: Prague, CZ

I've just returned from a trip without bandanna. I removed it from my list after some hesitation – it was not a necessary item (and I survived without it), on the other hand I was used to wear/carry one. Gram counting won this time and I regretted it almost every day. I didn't needed it as a part of my clothing, but once I wanted to wipe some water from my tarp, then pick up a hot pot to sip from and so on… Bandana is back on my list!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Call me vain but I hate the looks of wrapping a bandana over one's head. I've never owned one, and I don't miss not having one.

William Brokob

@obiwan

I hate the look of a sunburned head even more

Or the look of heat-stroke

To each their own

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

Not only to protect your neck from sunburn, remove debris for filtering water, picking up hot pots/items, wiping off sweat, applying cool water to face and neck…

Rich

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

…wiping the condensation off the tent, brushing out the debris from the tent, fly swatter, sling, snot rag (gross!), napkin, tablecloth, bib, ice pack, plus all the other ideas above …. It's the most versatile gear item I own, and I don't even use it as a bandana.

Jon Rhoderick
    BPL Member

@hotrhoddudeguy

Locale: New England

If you ever run out of food, or your filming a survival TV series, its great for looking real bandit like when you find some innocent heavy weight people with their extra days ration….

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I don't bring a bandana either Ben.
    I do however bring an MSR Packtowel that can preform all the same tasks as a bandana. I don't know how they compare weight wise but I like mine quite a bit. To each his own.

Adam

Phil Barton
    BPL Member

@flyfast

Locale: Oklahoma

Ben, I would never put one on my head. Mostly because my head is too big for a bandana to fit. Besides, I really like my Tilley.

But I won't leave for the trail without one either. There are so many uses for a bandana — towel, water filter, neck shade, bandage, compression in first aid, hot pan holder, lens cloth, place mat, wash cloth, dust mask, cold compress, glasses case, etc.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I also like my Tiley; it is a LT model with the mesh grid along the top perimeter. By rolling my bandana and placing it inside along the mesh rim, I am able to turn my hot weather hat into an insulated cold weather hat.

Jaiden .

@jaiden

In warm weather this summer, I've had good luck wearing a bandanna and putting a sun hat over that. It absorbs the sweat like a headband to keep it from dripping, and keeps it on my skin. Since it dries slowly (cotton) this provides a lot of cooling effect.

I have a huge head too, but I can just tie a full sized one if I don't roll it up at all.

It's totally subjective, but I feel that it adds to my comfort level…

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley

So bandana's are ok for many here, but does anyone wear a sarong?

-Mark

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

A Bandana is on all my packing lists regarless of activity. Sun protection is first, but many other uses. And it is the only cotton I carry, so it seems to be the best material for cleaning my glasses without carrying an extra kit.
    I typically wear it under my baseball hat to shade the sides of my face and back of neck; UV increases by 4% every 1000ft!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"So bandana's are ok for many here, but does anyone wear a sarong?"

Again, call me vain, but bandanas and sarongs both look hideous. Rain chaps are the worst though! :)

Jon Rhoderick
    BPL Member

@hotrhoddudeguy

Locale: New England

I think we should make a gear list of the craziest looking hiker on the trail. Complete with poncho, down serape, chaps, MYOG insole flipflops…… all brilliant ideas that combined could make quite a fashionable thru hiker

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

OK, let's make Ben happy :
    You are vain
    You are vain

My bandanna goes around my wrist in my VAIN attempt to look like a tennis star. Apart from wiping my "glowing" drops, it is a bit of a snot band and keeps one hand warmer than the other in winter. Lots of VEINS there. I have also used it around my neck , a very effective way to warm up the blood going to my brain. Yes , it is the "S" size.
    I don't use it to filter water….

I am now planning to dye my green chaps pink just to please Ben.
    Franco

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Thanks, mate, appreciate your concern for my happiness. Here's one for you! :)

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Ben
    That is "old hat".It is possible that you have missed my ON TOP* pack idea on a different thread. Rather than using the traditional backpack the new way will be to carry your gear on you head.
    Replacing the single use cork, the new version has useful items such as my small Opinel knife, a firestarter,a mini compass, plastic spork,lip balm and my earphones dangling down. The "string" BTW is now made from dental floss.
    The gear will be stored inside mesh pockets around the top of the hat (the crown) and Dan McHale has given me the go ahead to use his bayonet frame extension system. ( they slot in the hatband made out of Kevlar)This will be offered as an optional extra for heavier and or bulkier loads for those people that feel the need to take all the comforts with them. As a side benefit, having all of the weight over your head improves the posture solving the habitual office slouch problem.
    I could post pictures but ,in spire of having several patent applications on this, it would only encourage some clever manufacturer to copy the concept.
    Franco

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

And water is carried in a zip-loc bag nestling in the crown.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Thanks Roger. I was trying to keep some of the details under wrap. Next time I will do my testing where I know that there are no people around, like Pitt St at the moment. (sorry about the Aussie only content)
    Franco

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Franco:

We need photo of said hat.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> We need photo of said hat.

Sorry, the APEC meeting security restrictions prevent it from being displayed…

Cheers

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Correct. That and the fact that I don't want Dan to come up with his custom options before me.

Roger, we need you at the "mixing fuel " thread. Leave your gas experiments alone for a moment and see if you can make any sense of what is happening there.
    Franco

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools