Topic

Can I just stuff my shelter in? And…line length ?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Can I just stuff my shelter in? And…line length ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Lenora Case
    Spectator

@lcase

Locale: Central California

Hello. First, I want to thank you all for your knowledge and willingness to share. I have made two purchases for shelters based on what I have learned from you (mostly) I have a lovely MLD Solomid XL that is just fabulous, and now a TTNotch (I found that sometimes rain is just not my friend and a bathtub floor will help me out…I know, site selection. I'm trying :-)

So…I wonder if there is any reason why I can't just stuff these shelters into my pack (nothing pokey in there at all). It sure makes getting everything in easier, and of course then I get to ditch the stuff ask. I could put the shelter in an outside pocket if I had to…

Secondly, for the TTNotch, any suggestions on how long the "secondary" lines that can go from the pole tips (almost…just above the zipper on the fly) need to be? I don't plan on attaching them unless wind is a factor, but would like them pre-cut and ready to attach.

Once again, thanks for your help. This is a fabulous site and my "go to" first place for info.

Happy hiking

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

Lenora,
    I am not familiar with those particular tents, but I can tell you that I typically put tent poles in pack side pockets and under compression straps and stuff the tent and fly in my pack. Sometimes I stuff it in without the stuff sack; sometimes I use the stuff sack. But which ever, it is good to have at least a plastic garbage bag to put the fly in if it is wet. That way you don't get your other gear wet.

Billy

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Hi Lenora,
    I typically use a pack that's just one main compartment–no side pockets or top lid–everything goes inside. And I do try to minimize the number of stuff sacks.

I use a pack liner for sleeping quilt and clothes, and wouldn't want my shelter in that, but having it loose is a lot of fabric to paw thru if I need something underneath. So for me, a light silnylon stuff sack with enough volume that the shelter isn't compressed into a 'bowling ball' works well, and conforms nicely to the rest of the pack contents. I use the stuff sack as a pillow or bear bag when camp is set up, so it's multiuse.

Lenora Case
    Spectator

@lcase

Thanks. I do put my sleeping bag and clothes in a trash bag all wrapped and sealed at the bottom of my pack, then the stupid bear can, and then the shelter wrapped around the can and stuffed down in the "edges"…there is then only my kitchen (jetfoil) and rain gear to put in on top…so nothing to get wet really…I just can't imagine that its any worse for the shelter to be stuffed in my bag than in a stuff sak…I will look at what to do if its wet….main concern I guess is keeping the "inner" dry on the Notch…maybe separate them if the outer is wet….huumm

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Nice selection of shelters there.

I often just roll or stuff my shelters and put them into my pack. I have several Tarptents, a tarp, and a double wall BA Copper Spur UL1. If there's an attached inner, and the tent is rolled, the inner is mostly protected from anything except a river dunking. A went inner tent is just a minor annoyance, as that sometimes happens with severe condensation in some weather conditions anyway. I do generally put the inner of the Copper Spur in a stuff sack if it's convenient.

For the secondary guylines on the Notch, tie a bowline to form a loop in the tent end. It's most convenient to make it large enough that the bundled line will fit through it in case you want to attach it but leave it bundled. Then, feed that loop through the attachment. Next, feed the stake end of the line through the loop at the other end of the line, pulling the whole thing tight. This is called a larkshead or lanyard knot. It's easily detached by loosening and then pulling the line back out of the loop. You could also use small Niteize S-biners or carabiners to attach the loop to the tent, but that adds weight.

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

If I use my Ohm 2.0, I stuff my Locus Khufu (similar to MLD Duomid) in the front pocket. I do use the little cuben stuff sack because it is easier for me to access other gear I will have in that pocket.

If in another pack, in main compartment like you seem to do then I would perhaps loosely fold it over once or twice and add it in front of the pack liner. That way it's not on top of each other and I can access either easily. Unless wet no stuff sack needed like you say.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Lenora,
    The most space efficient way to store the Notch is to do it as it is done at the factory..
    This really applies to most tent but don't spread this around…
    So for the Notch have a look at how I do the Moment in this clip :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxg4miBqh-Q&list=UU0PuLUKvG7Fxxex5BMVK4vw
    from 4:30 onwards

as for the apex guylines, mine are 6' long and I use them all the time.
    They could be as short as about 4' but I prefer the longer version so that I can attach them to bushes or wrap them around rocks logs or my snow shoes.
    Apart from weather resistance they are used to be able to open all of the 4 panels or just two panels on one side, like this :
    notch open
    franco@tarptent

Lenora Case
    Spectator

@lcase

Thanks so much Andy. There are already line loks attached…so I think I'm just going to go with that…

Franco….the photo is a great help! Thanks so much. Thats exactly what I will do for pitching it. And I'll try the packing…but it sure fits nice in my pack just stuffed in there :-) I just don't want to hurt it. I pitched this 3 times today and it's almost stupid easy! Kudos also to the US store for customer service, I called Tue am asking for this Notch and it arrived the next afternoon (I'm going back on the trail to finish my thru hike of the JMT tomorrow). So I've had time to seal it and play with it a bit.

Thanks again. I'm sure you know, but you sound funnier when you talk than you do when you write :-)

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

It has taken me years of elocution lessons* to get that accent.
    It is so good now that I see words coming out of my mouth but have no idea of what I am saying.
    *I taught myself, I got a discount that way.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Uh oh! The larkshead guyline attachment won't work with line locs. I didn't realize this tent had them there.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools