Topic

Testing embedded links

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website & Forum Support Testing embedded links

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

So is anyone else having problems embedding links in their posts or am I just having a bad day?

Adam

One last attempt: Google

Edit: Ok, so there are a handful of sites I know I can't link to. One being tarbubble's pictures of her quilts, the other being Patagonia.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Adam:

Seems like you are trying to link/display an image rather than an URL address??? If so, then I think the "img src" embedding/displaying works only with jpg type files.

What is the URL to Tarbubbles' pictures? Maybe I can give it a try…

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Ben, you caught me at a bad edit. I think I edited the post a dozen times. I was desperately trying to get something to work and tried an [img src]even though I knew BPL wouldn't recognize it. What I was trying to do originally was link to a product on Patagonia's website and I can't get it to work for the life of me. Can anyone else do it? If so, please do so and make me feel like a fool .

Adam

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Adam:

I find BPL's "commands" both awkward and limiting. Only certain URL's and image types can be linked. In contrast, I have no such problems with other forums, such as Backpacker Forum. As proof, click here for my links to Tarbubble's pics and Patagonia belt. No problems there at all.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Lol, I thought it might have something to do with only working with certain URLs. Oh well, its too nice today (82*, no clouds, slight breeze) to be inside worrying about this kind of stuff.
    Time to go take the dog for a nice, long walk…

Adam

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

I just tried to add a link to a message and couldn't get it to work. It kept erasing the href value, leaving me with an empty link (e.g. Empty Link). After much frustration, I made the url smaller by going to tinyurl and things worked fine. I'm not sure why a big URL would cause a problem in the software, but this seems like a work-around worth trying if you have trouble making a link. By the way, I am a software engineer with a fair amount of web (and QA) experience.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I don't know why the problem occurs but the forum software used for BPL simply doesn't like long URLs. I've taken to using TinyURL as well as it's really simple and works well.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools