Topic

Steripen$119, $3 UV light just as good?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Steripen$119, $3 UV light just as good?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

OK, I am heading out to REI — to get the $99 Steripen "deal". You are all enablers — every one of you!

David, aren't you getting yours? You know you need one!

P. P.

@toesnorth

Locale: PNW

lithium batteries, too.

P. P.

@toesnorth

Locale: PNW

as I recall, YOU were partially respsonsible in me buying a Six Moons Design Lunar Duo so who's enabling whom? BTW, I couldn't be happier with it!

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

Rob Blazoff

@genetic

Locale: Out back, brewing beer in BPA.

Reminder: get NiMH (I like Energizers) or Lithiums for the Steripen classic. Alkaline batteries might get you 20 liters purified if you are lucky.

Those of you that use the second gen Steripen can get some great cr123 batteries for a buck a pop at amondotech. The "New Titanium" batteries have worked well for me in my Miox.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Hey, thanks for more "buy" advice!

David – No need to apologize to Brett. He had indicated that his question was answered. In any case, he too could use a Steripen. :)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> great cr123 batteries for a buck a pop at amondotech. The "New Titanium" batteries

Tech data? Please! I ask because in my experience 'you get what you pay for' with batteries.

Rob Blazoff

@genetic

Locale: Out back, brewing beer in BPA.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/titanium_123a.htm

That is the best I can do Roger.

I have to stop posting about that brand. I sound like I work for them.
    (Full disclosure: I have no professional or private connection, employment, or business dealings with the above stated producer of batteries).

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Rob

Thanks for URL. Interesting.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Bens right of course; I'm terrible about hijaking threads also..

I just got a CR123 type flashlight and some 850ma rechargables; its more economical to recharge, and I always know I'm leaving with full batteries.
    Get them at http://www.dealextreme.com or many other places. Caution, that site sells some krappy flashlights, stick to their accessories.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Brett

I looked up those batteries. Not very impressed by the user comments. You might want to do a few checks before you go.

> Cons: 1. The length of the battery is 2mm longer than the usual CR123A. The extra 2mm space is used for the protection circuit board. Before buying it, test if this length works well in your device by sticking a 2mm thick object on the pole of the CR123A.
    In that case I don't think they would safely fit in most devices, including the Steripen Adventurer.

> 2. The capacity is my biggest complaint. It says 880mah on the label. Before buying it, I imagined that it might be as low as 600mah. No, it's wrong. It runs only 15mins in my flash that runs 1 hour with CR123A. So, the actual capacity is around 300-400mah. That's just half of the labeled capacity.
    Typical advertising, and very common for rechargable lithium CR123s.
    I tested the blue Tenrod CR123 900 mA rechargables and they do seem to meet specs. The cheaper silver Tenrod 750 mA ones do NOT: they are a bit of a disaster.

Cheers

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools