Topic

Suggest a foam pad!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Suggest a foam pad!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Hi all,

I like my Thermarest Z-Lite, but I need a different kind of foam pad that's flexible and rollable for bikepacking. Here's my specs:

-Durable, completely waterproof (VERY durable, COMPLETELY waterproof! Does it exist?)
    -Torso length or trimmable
    -About 1/4-inch thickness
    -Less than 7-10oz

Any ideas?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

You might take a look at the Gossamer Gear sleep pads that have the convoluted eggcrate texture.

The only weakness I've found is that if you leave the pad compressed for a long time, it will slowly lose its convolutions.

–B.G.–

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Yeas the Gossamer Gear pads are pretty good. The old ones did compress more than the new ones. I take a full size pad and cut it into fan-fold sections that fit into my pad keepers. It is roughly 51" long. it is nominally 3/4" thick but by nesting the bumps you can get two in 1" of thickness. They weigh about 7oz.

The Nunatak Luna is more like the older NightLites. Nice pad.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Best pad I ever used.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

If you like your Z-Lite, but want a pad that rolls up, try the Therm-A-Rest RidgeRest Solite. Small size is 9 ounces at 48 inches, you could drop a couple ounces with some trimming.
    http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/trek-and-travel/ridge-rest-solite/product

Gossamer Gear Thinlight pads are made to roll up. The 3/8" pad is thicker than you asked for, about 8 ounces at 59 inches, you could drop several ounces with some trimming. Many people love these pads.
    http://gossamergear.com/sleeping/thinlight-insulation-pads.html

Lawson carries similar pads, the cosmetic seconds are really cheap, but only available in 1/8" thickness. Buy one at 24×74 inches and 4.25 ounces, fold it over or cut it up to get 1/4" thickness where you want it. Or buy two and get creative, they are cheap.
    http://lawsonequipment.com/InsuLite-EVA-Foam-Pads/InsuLite-1-8-XL-Foam-Pad-Cosmetic-Seconds-p988.html

Alps Mountaineering makes a lightweight, closed cell pad. But the textured surface probably holds moisture, so maybe not for you.
    http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/alps/products/pads/foam-mats/foam-mat
    Currently very cheap at REI Outlet.

Stay away from cheap blue foam under many names. It might be "closed cell", but the manufacturing process creates lots of tiny holes on the surface that hold water. And they are not very cushy.

HTH.

— Rex

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Yup, RidgeRest or Gossamer Gear. If you find a deal on a long one, trim to suit and use the leftover for a sit pad. Closed cell is great for something like napping on a rocky river bank that would devastate an air pad.

I use a ProLite short pad plus a z-seat when I want less volume. That little Prolite rolls up the size of a soda can and the z-seat usually rides in a front pocket folded invhalf and ready to deploy on a rest stop. I've used it for a quick and dirty dehydrated dinner cozy too. Good to stand on when hanging clothes at a muddy camp.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Ridge rest.

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

i've been very happy with mine. if you google lunapad be sure to include nunatak otherwise i take no responsibility for your search results.

b willi jones
    BPL Member

@mrjones

Locale: best place in the world !?

i wouldnt have thought you needed to ask. i thought you were the man when it comes to sleeping pads and would have it nailed by now with the amount of bikepacking you have done,,, you voted 8 different pads @ 10/10 on another thread,,, seems like you can sleep good on anything,,, just get something cheap and replace it more often

James Couch
    Spectator

@jbc

Locale: Cascade Mountains

"-Durable, completely waterproof (VERY durable, COMPLETELY waterproof! Does it exist?)"

Yes it does, Evazote – truly waterproof, light, super durable a little over 1/3" thick.

I got my last one from MEC: http://www.mec.ca/product/0808-014/zotefoams-evazote-standard-sleeping-pad/?q=evazote

These are full length but easy to trim. Weight for full length pad is 350 grams so a torso length should come within at your 7-10oz range.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

"you voted 8 different pads @ 10/10 on another thread,,, seems like you can sleep good on anything,,, just get something cheap and replace it more often"

Every pad is a 10, but getting something cheap and replacing it sucks when you're trying to save money. Rather buy something durable once.

This post educated me more on sleeping pads; I didn't know about the Lunapad!

Chad B
    BPL Member

@cenazwalker

Locale: Southwest

I've slept on a lot of foam over the years and feel the Ridgerest is the most comfortable.

b willi jones
    BPL Member

@mrjones

Locale: best place in the world !?

if you are trying to save money,,, then just use what you got

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

I didn't expect an inquisition… I'm outfitting a friend, I think I'm giving her my Z-Lite and I'll roll a ridgerest.

Thanks for the recommendations! I went with the Thermarest Ridgerest Classic, as it seemed you get a little bit more durability over the Gossamer Gear pads for some bulk penalty, but low weight penalty.

The Thermarest Ridgerest Classic in a Small is new for 2014, and is 9oz and $14.00

Outdoor Vlogger

@outdoorvlogger

Locale: Center of the Universe

I've found that the ridgerests are more durable to abrasion, but they loose their thickness and "loft" very quickly compared to other foam pads.

I have one or two ridgerests that now make great kayak outfitting!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools