Topic

Custom packs – positive things to say

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Custom packs – positive things to say

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    TJ W
    BPL Member

@thadjw

I want to throw it up here that custom built packs are the way to go and give a positive mention to the two Zimmer packs that I have received. Great packs at a sick weight to volume that met my needs.

Anyone else say some good things for this way to order your pack?

Ps- Pacing another order and wondering on unusual small tweaks to be made to packs after a long PCT trek etc etc. Thx.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Totally agree with you. I love my Zimmerbuilt.
    There's some great packs out there (ula, granite gear, gossamer gear)….but it was nice to combine all the stuff I wanted into 1 custom pack….all for less weight!
    I also really like his snap button roll top setup, and the water resistance/durability/stiffness of the xpack material he uses. I'm tempted to buy another one….hrm…..

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

See, I've got Chris Zimmer figured out, and it's a cabal, I tell you!

He lets you design it, he makes suggestions but overall you are the Decider. So you have him build a pack. It's sweet!!! Nearly perfect….

But you carry it around for a while and realize – oooo, had I done X or Y, that would be even better!

Then you have to contact Chris, because you realize that if you are THISCLOSE to perfection, then by all means go for it! It will only take a tweak or two!

So now you are on your second pack. And it IS perfect!!!! You love it, it fits and carries better than any pack you could imagine….

Well now you have to have ANOTHER! This one is my bear can pack, so now I need a quick summer weekend pack!

Another email to Chris……the cycle repeats…..a new form of gear addiction develops…………

don't say I didn't warn you!

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

This is why I have a few ZPacks packs… :)

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Yes agreed!!! It's an addicting trap!
    The possibilities are endless…so it's easy to trick yourself into thinking you need to design a pack for every trip!…even though it's not rational.

Since my last post I've been lost in thought about what improvements I could make to my already perfect pack…

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I have worked with Chris Zimmer and Dan McHale and both have been great experiences.

TJ W
    BPL Member

@thadjw

Yes! Just a few slight tweaks and I am totally set!… For the next year! You guys / gals understand!

(Seriously I think I'm close this time.)

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I hate to say it to those still seeking pack perfection, but I have found it, and it is a beautiful thing. My Zimmerbuilt is perfect. It has exactly what I want and nothing more or less. It fits like a glove. It is built rock solid. Its size/weight ratio is great. After a couple of weeks in the field there is nothing I want to change. Now if only Chris started making trail shoes . . .

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Once I got my torso length down, been really enjoying my Zimmerbuilt ZB-2's (different sizes -interchangeable frames …. some other differences … might have gone overboard but only a little) within the ultralight trip context and what the packs were designed for. There's always tweaks but I'm satisfied.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools