Topic

looking for something relatively cheap and lightweight sheet that will go under my sleeping pad

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) looking for something relatively cheap and lightweight sheet that will go under my sleeping pad

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Harrod
    Spectator

@bushcat

Locale: Northern California

i've researched this before but now i really need to get into high gear with the JMT coming up. cheap lightweight solution for something to put under my sleeping pad? any suggestions?

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Polycro groundsheet from gossamer gear or tyvek from Zpacks are a couple options

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Christopher Harrod
    Spectator

@bushcat

i think i may go with the sol blanket because GG and zpacks charge at least 695 for shipping i believe. thanks for the input.

Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

Locale: SoCal

Polycryo is the same material you find in window shrink film that's used for insulation. Get the indoor variety, it's lighter and is plenty strong. Amazon sells it if you can't find any at your local hardware store.

Christopher Harrod
    Spectator

@bushcat

thanks mitchell-would go with that instead of the emergency blanket?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

An option few think of is 1/8" EVAzote foam. Really good protection for the mat, light, plus it adds some insulation. Especially good with air mats.

Cheers

Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

Locale: SoCal

Yea, I would go with the polycryo. It's half the weight of the emergency blanket and at least as durable.

Five Star
    BPL Member

@mammoman

Locale: NE AL

+1 to Roger

James Couch
    Spectator

@jbc

Locale: Cascade Mountains

+2 to Roger, a great option – two pads weigh in at 350g (about 12oz) and will protect most 2 person tent floors. Weight is about the same as a cut to fit cheap blue tarp.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Ken's option, the Adventure Medical Kits SOL Emergency Blanket (1-Person), is certainly lighter than Tyvek and probably just as light as Polycro, and those AMK blankets seem durable (have collected a few over the years). Can anyone comment on their durability versus Polycro indoor window film and lighter Tyvek kite material?

I think John Abela used one of the AMK sheets as a ground cloth.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I have one that I used as a groundsheet before buying a cuben fiber tub designed one from Zpacks. Works perfectly fine this way and is plenty durable for the job assuming standard care is used to police up rocks and twigs up before laying it down.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> +2 to Roger, a great option – two pads weigh in at 350g (about 12oz)
    Ah … what?
    My grey 1/8" mats weigh about 80 g each.

Cheers

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

The best stuff I've found for that application is the1025D Hard Structure grade Tyvek that was sold by Lawson Kline a couple of years ago. For me, it hits the sweet spot between weight, durability, puncture resistance, water resistance, and ease of folding. My 30" x 84" piece weighs 2.4 oz. If Lawson or another entrepreneur wanted to buy a roll and sell it here, I'm guessing it would sell well.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Roger, I think he meant your regular pad plus the evazote.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Nearest Home Depot is 100+ miles away. Amazon delivers. Easy choice for me. Tyvek always reminds me of a building site and work, no thanks, I've found the durability to be acceptable. The black printing does come off fairly easily though. Slept sliding on snow and scraped most of the printing off.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I prefer Tyvek Kitemaking material. It's available on Amazon. It's a little bit more like cloth than the homewrap stuff, and is highly abrasion-resistant. When I'm not sure if I can trust a surface to my pad or tent or bivy, that's what I use. One and done.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The AMK blankets are polyethylene vs Mylar in other space blankets, making them quieter and far less prone rn to ripping. The window film kits are great and you can order a large one that will make 2-3 ground sheets for solo. Both materials are stretchy enough to handle the lumps and bumps without tearing.

You can order the lighter weight Tyvek from kite making suppliers. It is softer and quiter.

I use the window film.

James Couch
    Spectator

@jbc

Locale: Cascade Mountains

Roger-

Mine are the thin yellow 'bivy' ones from MEC and are 5mm thick, so closer to 1/4". With your 1/8" thick ones two would be lighter than most commercially available tent footprints, nice!

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Max-
    "I prefer Tyvek Kitemaking material."

Any idea on the dimensions and weight or yours?
    Any ideas on waterproofness?

My .75 cuben is 5.6 ounces.
    The SOL is 3 ounces, but scarey thin.

I'm an "abuser" when it comes to a dark-thirty "throw it down and be done".

Thanks.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools