Topic

Installing slider on continuous zipper

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Installing slider on continuous zipper

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Couldn't figure it out the other day, then found this video. Short, to the point, and simple:

YouTube video

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

I just did one yesterday, on a zipper already installed in a pack. The slider was worn.

I didn't need to create a "starter strip", just shoved both ends in.

Also, the video fails to mention that there is a "top side" and "bottom side" to both the zipper and the slider that need to match.

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Good point about the slider, Greg–I was using a double-sided slider, so didn't think mattered.

I tried shoving both ends in, and just couldn't get it–obviously, I had the slider wrong side up. Just tried it again right side up and it worked fine–as you say, no starter strip required.

I may be the only person on BPL who's had problems with this–I searched for a how-to thread here, and didn't find anything. Found another video that recommended removing the teeth from both sides for an inch or so, and using the fabric as a starter–that seemed way too time consuming.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

"Right-side-up" and "stuff-the-ends-in" is a good technique for replacing sliders on any "in place" zipper.

Pick out the stitching that locks the "starter end", push the slider on, and then bar-tack, by hand if you are out in the woods, and you're good to go.

I've done tents, sleeping bags, and packs. I've sent sliders to thru-hikers. It's easy. It works.

Lance M
    BPL Member

@lancem

Locale: Oregon

Here's a link to an old thread regarding starting a zipper.
    Starting a zipper

David Scheidt

@dscheidt

For polyester coil zips, the slider doesn't care if it's on "upside up" or "upside down". Most coils don't care if they're installed the same way as their mate is or not, either. If they don't match, the slider is slightly harder to get started, and slightly harder to work, but they work just fine.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

"If it doesn't work, Force It"

No thanks.

ZipSlider4

Notice that there is considerable height above the backing slot to accommodate the bulk of the coil, which is on the "top" of the backing. The bottom surface of the backing is essentially flush with the coil.

Also notice the "top" of the slider has a "guide shoulder" that slides along the edge of the coil, bringing it into the body.

I find it easier to thread and easier to operate when installed correctly.

YMMV.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools