Topic

Halulite: 2L pot @ 4.8 oz with lid, $27?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Halulite: 2L pot @ 4.8 oz with lid, $27?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Brian James

@bjamesd

Locale: South Coast of BC

If you believe GSI's claims, this seems to substantially outstrip titanium as a cookware material.

Anyone know anything about it? Anyone seen one?

http://gsioutdoors.com/detail.aspx?p=50140&lu=%2fdetail.aspx%3fp%3d50132%26lu%3d%252fDefault.aspx%26c%3d4%26%26a%3d9&c=4&a=9&

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

GSI has, by my understanding, realized that by hard anodizing it can make the pot even thinner. HA-Al is often lighter than a comparably sized Ti pot, and significantly less expensive (I can't find the link I had where someone had a GSI and the SP Solo Cookset and the GSI set was lighter for the same capacity).

Once you get to the thin wall sizes, material heat transfer properties are pretty much meaningless, the one with the thinnest walls wins.

Note, there have been some recent advancement / reductions in Ti wall thickness so the weight advantage of HA-Al is disappearing. Also, other than the AGG 3-cup pot, no one appears to do a HA-handless pot SANS 'non-stick' coating. Which is sad because HA itself is pretty darn non-stick.

Ultimately, HA tends to be the best 'bang for the buck' and is kind of a sleeper product that few people pay attention to.

Note, this particular model is being tested over at BGT GSI Outdoors Halulite Boiler

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

I'd agree that from a stove-efficienty standpoint, the materials are probably identical. But aluminum of whatever alloy, even thin-walled, will transfer heat more evenly on the pot bottom, which reduces hot spots and scorching when you're doing more than just boiling water.

The downside of Al's high heat transfer rate is how miserable cups and kettles are to pick up barehanded or drink out of. The rims are *much* hotter than the Ti equivalent, a benefit I never considered until I got that first piece of Ti cookware.

No matter how "hard" the anodizing, it won't stand up to abuse in the long haul so treat those pots with due care to make them last.

Kevin Lutz

@eazye

Does anyone know why REI and Peak62 list the weight of this at 11.6 ounces, but GSI has it at 4.8 ounces? I was following the direct link from GSI's site, so at least it is not my user error.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

All of BackPackTest.org has 3 review that all weigh it at 11.8 oz complete. Unfortunately, one can never believe a website of the manufacturer. Always confirm through 3rd parties like forums.

Rob Blazoff

@genetic

Locale: Out back, brewing beer in BPA.

At

http://gsioutdoors.com/detail.aspx?p=50132&lu=%2fDefault.aspx&c=4&&a=9

the Double Boiler is listed at 5.4 (ounces?) and the breakdown on the same webpage of the two pots are 4.2 and 5.5. I'm sure the lid has mass as well!
    Always check a third party or check it first hand.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Rick wrote:

> I'd agree that from a stove-efficienty standpoint, the materials are probably identical.
    And the temperature gradient across the thin-wall pot is about 1 – 2 C at the most. I find very little difference in behaviour between Al and Ti in the thin-wall pots.

Cheers
    Roger

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Yes, you'll find pretty much all of the dimensions on their site are 'odd'. They often don't actually list the units just numbers.

Definitely check a third party source.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools