Topic

How many sleeping bags do you own?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) How many sleeping bags do you own?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Living the SE US, it just too darn hot (for me) to backpack in the summer. My prime time is Oct – April, but even in Jan-Feb we can have lows anywhere from the 50s to the teens.

I have been using a WM Megalight for the past 9 years and love it, but recently got tired of the fact that it is sometimes just too much bag and ordered an EE Revelation 30 deg 750 FP (really excited about it's arrival) for the warmer trips.

This got me wondering about the sleep system quivers of those who face very different climates, and climate extremes. We often discuss individual pieces of gear, but I'm interested in your "collection" and your decisions/experiences that led to it's creation.

Hooded or quilt?
    Temp ratings?
    Down or Synthetic?
    Ect.

Charles Grier
    BPL Member

@rincon

Locale: Desert Southwest

Two. One is a 28 oz Marmot Helium I use in colder weather, the other is a 19 oz Western Mountaineering Summerlite I use in warmer conditions. I am a three season backpacker. I spend most of my outdoor time in the western mountains and the southwestern canyon country.

Doug Green
    BPL Member

@dougpgreen

Locale: North Carolina Piedmont

Lots of cheap synthetics for loaners or car camping, emergency use kept int cars/trucks, etc., but I only use 3 for hiking. I don't generally camp with the weather too much below freezing. I have a 15 degree down for cold weather (with a liner I can get down to 15 easily), a 32 degree down for summer / temps to 40, and a 55 degree synthetic bag for hot rainy July/August camping in NC when I know I will be a sweaty mess.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

I'm narrowing mine down….

I live in Austin now, where it is also TOO D@MNED HOT to do much of anything in the summer…but I travel a lot for trips – everywhere. Alaska, Patagonia, Nepal, Sierra, White Mountains, Green Mountains, Great Lakes, etc. I'll also comfortably camp into the teens before I start thinking it wasn't a good idea. I want to get into winter camping tho!

Anyway…

I currently have a 15-ish degree EE Enigma quilt I had Tim tweak for me – 20 wasn't warm enough I guess. This, combined with an Exped Downmat UL7 help me be comfy into the upper teens/lower 20s (supplemented with clothes, of course).

I am working on my own synthetic summer blanket for much warmer temps – say 60s and up. For me, having these two options pretty much covers my needs. The warm quilt is still only about 20 oz, and the finished version of my synthetic should be about 10-11 oz. So needing to carry the warmer quilt in those mid-ranges is perfectly acceptable for me.

I have yet to feel the need for something in the middle for my 40-50-ish nights – the enigma seems to work nicely for that as well.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

A hooded 25 degree bag

A non hooded 35 degree bag

Will use the unhooded one on top of the other if the rare snow camping/ real cold trip pops up

Both down, both semi-rectangular in cut

Hiking here can be freezing to a hundred. Possible in the same trip.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

This subject is really all about where you live/travel/hike…

I still have my -30 bag left over from when I used to winter camp in NH. I don't use it much these days, but I'm sentimental about it.

Now I'm in Arizona, where the weather can be schizophrenic (100F during the day; down to 36F at night), so I have 2 bags:

WM Kodiak (0F) for mountain adventures spring/fall; and
    WM Megalite w/2oz extra down (25F?) for summer mountain adventures.

I don't really backpack in the summer, but if I did, I'd probably just take the Megalite in case it got cold at night. If I were in Florida, where the nighttime temperatures didn't dip much, I'd probably get an extremely light bag/quilt (40F-50F range).

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I have two primary quilts – Katabatic Chiso for 90% of the time and a Katabatic Alsek that I have yet to use. Both are wide regulars.

I also have the following, some of which haven't been used in decades:
    Sierra Designs Wick Fast Bag
    FF Perigrine
    Snowlion Toursack…Mid 70's and well loved
    Gerry Mummy…don't remember the model
    REI Downside up…Down on top and synthetic on bottom circa 1970ish and my first REI purchase.
    REI Bivy Sack…It's a bag with zips for the arms, polarguard and crazy colors.

Over the years I have purchased and used another 25 to 30 bags not included in the above list. With the exception of the Perigrine these bags are loaners and car/backyard camping bags all serviceable and in good shape. The Snowlion Bag has some 500-600 nights on it and although the shell while clean, it looks a bit "gamey" but the down still lofts nicely.

David Ure

@familyguy

Two.

A Feathered Friends Swift with overfill for temps below -10C and a Golite Quilt for temps above that.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Probably too many:

Mountain Hardwear Phantom 0: use below 15*f

Javan Dempsey custom quilt (3" loft 20.25oz): use between 15*f and 30*f

Golite Ultra 20 quilt: use between 30*f and 50*f

BPL Pro 90 quilt for use above 50*f

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

I own three quilts:

15*F down quilt
    30*F down quilt
    50*F synthetic quilt

The 30*F quilt is my workhorse and gets used for most of my spring trips in my local mountains and summer trips in the Sierra. During shoulder season trips to the Sierra and winter trips to my local mountains, I switch to the 15*F quilt. For proper snow camping trips during winter I layer the 50*F quilt over the 15*F quilt. For the random late spring or summer trip to warmer climes, I use the 50*F quilt by itself.

This quiver works great for me and covers all of my bases. I wouldn't switch a thing.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Montbell ULSS#3 covers me from spring until fall.

I’m currently in the market for a winter bag and leaning towards Feather Friends to support a Seattle Based business.

Eric Osburn
    BPL Member

@osb40000

Zpacks 20F
    Marmot Helium woman's 15F
    Kelty Cosmic Down 20
    Mountain Hardwear Ultralamina 15
    ECWS – Sleeping bag
    Slumberjack cheapies for kids and family X4
    Kelty Twin 32F

John Klinepeter
    BPL Member

@johnzotk

Locale: Northern Rockies, USA

I also have too many. With the exception of the first bag on the list, my expectations were to encounter low temps of about 25 to 45 degrees F. In roughly chronological order of accumulation:

Frostline 0 degree, acquired/sewn ~1974. Worked well for conditions expected and encountered in the Sierra in April. Hasn't been used in decades.

No name duck down bag/quilt, mid 1970's, probably about 10 degree, no hood, completely unzips into a rectangle. Still finds regular use for car camping. Acquired to save a little weight and volume vs. the Frostline but probably still too much for the conditions I encountered in the mid 70's till the mid 80's. Guess I was scared of being cold. **

TNF Beeline, about 32 degrees, early 2000's, no zipper (just a coccon). Lost or stolen and I miss it! Probably a little on the cool end of the spectrum for my usage, though. So, what did I do? Purchased another inadequate bag, below.

Kelty Light Year 25, mid 2000's, about 35 degrees (my rating). Not a good choice, still not enough insulation.

WM Ultralite, ~2007, 20 degrees. Warmth problem solved! Reasonably light.

WM Highlite, ~2008, 35 degrees (more like 40 degrees for me). Used in "warmer" conditions.

Katabatic Sawatch, ~2010?, 15 degree quilt. Very nice! At least as warm as the Ultralite with less weight and bulk. The Alsek, not available at that time, would now be a better choice. Or perhaps the Palisade. **

Vaude Featherlight 200, ~2012, 45 degree. Bought on a whim, haven't used it yet.

EE Revelation 30 quilt with one extra ounce of down, 2013. Hasn't seen much use yet. Should be sufficient (with additional clothing) for most of my needs. **

All are down. I haven't owned a synthetic for ages. All have hoods unless marked by **. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to see the end point ahead of time in place of making the incremental steps?

likes hikes
    BPL Member

@basquej88

40* enigma long/wide for light summer trips

20* EE Rev Pro 20* long/x-wide 850DT for the majority of 3 season use

0* EE Rev long/x-wide for winter, although I am looking at getting a WM Kodiak or Sequoia for full on winter camping.

Also a 30* EE Rev short for my gf.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

>>Wouldn't it be nice to be able to see the end point ahead of time in place of making the incremental steps?

Boy Howdy! I've purchased almost every piece of gear at least 4 times as I have gained experience and embraced UL. Sure do wish I had that money back.

Really didn't expect this many people reporting EE quilts. Says a lot about the product and company…can't wait for my Revelation to arrive and to join the ranks of EE satisfied customers.

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

We mostly have BPed in the shoulder months of early spring and fall, up to the heavier snow falls so our WM versalites have worked great.(cold sleepers)

Now looking to do some BPing in the summer months again so looking for a couple bags to take when the temps are warmer but could still surprise us.

If I still need something less warm Im gonna MYO summer quilt.

jimmyb

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Way too many.
    That and flashlights/ headlamps.

Bags

1. Marmot Col EQ -40
    2. Go Lite 0* down bag
    3. TNF Hightail 15* bag
    4. Homemade 30* bag
    5. Marmot Pounder

Quilts

10* quilt – homemade
    20* EE 1-off down quilt
    25* quilt – homemade
    30* quilt – homemade
    40* quilt – homemade
    50* quilt – homemade

The 40* is mainly used for the dogs.
    I've made 7 quilts for other people.

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

HOLY COW

HOLY Cow, I think we have a winner.

Phil

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

3 sleeping bags and 1 quilt for me.
    I am often out in well below 0 in Michigan so have a fairly diverse range.

30 EE Revelation.
    20 WM Alpine lite.
    0 WM Kodiak.
    -25 WM Puma.

Christopher Yi
    Spectator

@traumahead

Locale: Cen Cal

Just one, Western Mountaineering Versalite, hooded sleeping bag, down, 10*F, 2 lbs. I like to sleep in just boxers and a tee and I'm a cold sleeper so it works well. Full zip so I can use it as a quilt in warmer weather. Spring through Fall I'm in the High Sierras, Winter I'm in Death Valley.

Only con to me is how much space it takes up in the pack.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

15º Mountain Hardwear Ultralamina gets me through 70% of the season

50º Marmot Nanowave gets me through the summer and I add it to the Ultralamina in deep, deep winter.

I also have… THE GREATEST SLEEPING BAG EVER MADE!

dwdwdwdwdwdrrrrrrr

Seriously, 20ºF and 3.3lbs for $79? I don't really understand how EMS makes a profit. These are great bags. If you need extras for scouts, girlfriends, boyfriends, mothers, fathers, dogs- this is the bag to get.

. Kirby
    Spectator

@kirby805

Some people have a lot of bags, and nice ones too. Holy cow.

My two:
    Marmot Hydrogen 30*
    MH Phantom 45*

It rarely, if ever, dips below 20* in the backcountry around here. No need for anything warmer really.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

Barry P
    BPL Member

@barryp

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)

When you have a family, the collection goes up:
    60F Egyptian Cotton Sheet for hot/humid nights. I need cotton on those nights. My wife sewed 2 of these like a sleeping bag.
    45F JRB Stealth 15oz
    25F JRB Hudson River 21oz
    20F Zpack 17oz – my #1 goto since it’s the lightest and warmest for the Rockies.
    30F WM Megalite 24oz (+ a 9oz sweetie pie to convert this for a couple)
    35F WM Caribou 21oz (+ a 9oz sweetie pie to convert this for a couple)
    5F WM Antelope GWS 46oz
    5F EMS (1977 and still going strong with down) 48oz
    And 6 synthetic Lumberjack bags that I loan out.
    I use a balaclava for my quilts or hooded mummies.

Good thing you didn’t ask about my tent collection!

-May everyone sleep well on the first night.
    -Barry
    -The mountains were made for Tevas

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

um … I think we have 10. That's after selling a few.
    All bar 1 are down, and all bar 2 have hoods.

Cheers

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools