Topic

Spot?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Spot?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Randy, my bad, you're right. I just tried it. It won't work unless you're responding.

What I usually do, though, is set up one of my presets to say, basically, "I'm off!", and have the address field going to everyone I need to have contact with, and send it at the trailhead. Not what you're asking, I know.

Kerry Wilson

@mntnflyr4fun

Locale: North of Eugene, South of Portland

"I'm not saying anything negative about PLBs, they are an excellent choice for those looking for that functionality. But for others, SPOT and inReach are better for the functionality they are looking for."

The back-country should be nice once the technology catches up so that people can start watching TV trail side when they "want that functionality".

Jellystone Park here we come…..

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

"I'm not saying anything negative about PLBs, they are an excellent choice for those looking for that functionality. But for others, SPOT and inReach are better for the functionality they are looking for."

"The back-country should be nice once the technology catches up so that people can start watching TV trail side when they "want that functionality".

Jellystone Park here we come…"

One of the best things about this site is how troll free it is. Or was until you showed up.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

"The back-country should be nice once the technology catches up so that people can start watching TV trail side when they "want that functionality".

Jellystone Park here we come….."

Kerry, I'm with you on the backcountry gizmology topic (trailbolgging, maps on ipads, etc), but I use a Spot Gen3 for a few reasons, and it actually ends up reducing my pack weight by about 5.6 oz.

1) My wife goes absolutely bonkers when she doesn't hear from me – which often happens with no cellphone coverage in the woods and mountains – so for her peace of mind I can send the OK messages to her and also family/friends of others I may he hiking with, complete with the map link with my/our location and tracking as well.

2) Since cellphone coverage is spotty at best, I just don't carry it. 4.7 oz saved right there (Samsung Galaxy S3). The Spot weighs 4.4 oz.

3) I don't need GPS since I am very comfortable with map and compass, so I stopped taking the GPS, saving 5.3 oz. The Spot tracks (set to 10 minute intervals) are good enough, and I can save a specific location (good stealth camping sites, for instance) by sending myself an OK message.

4) If the poop really does hit the fan – for me (unlikely, I like to think) or for somebody else on the trail – there is a way to request outside assistance.

5) If I should go belly-up-adios-for-good on the trail, there will be a track for SAR to start looking for my carcass, thereby saving the taxpayers a lot of money for an all-out search involving helicopters and dozens of searchers.

So… one might argue that carrying such a device is actually a responsible thing to do.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools