Topic

Zpacks multi-pack vs belt pockets

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Zpacks multi-pack vs belt pockets

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Packman Pete
    BPL Member

@packmanpete

Locale: Rainy Portland

Hi y'all!

I just ordered a blast pack with belt pockets, but started to consider a multi-pack instead. Anybody have experience? It looks close to the same weight and a bigger volume, but maybe inconvenient to have it stuck to your chest all day long. I dunno….

I wouldn't be carrying a camera–just a hat, gloves, cell phone, map, and other daily use items.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Pete,

While I haven't tried the Zpacks version, I did try Golite's years ago.

I didn't like it. I rely on my partial zip shirt for venting and this blocked it a good bit and the fabric was like a layer of plastic wrap across that part of my chest.

I have never heard any complaints side from mine, however. Must be me!

I sure love hipbelt pockets, though.

Packman Pete
    BPL Member

@packmanpete

I remember the Team Golite version as well. Seemed like a good idea, but I always thought it would turn the shoulder straps into a 'harness' and make getting in and out a pain. I didn't think about the ventilation. I really like unzipping my shirt to get the airflow. Maybe I will stick with the belt pouches.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have the multi pack, but use it more as a fanny pack when i wear kilts. More specifically, i use it kind of like how the Scots used a sporran. I put my most important survival-emergency oriented stuff in there, like fire kit, water filter, small knife, some extra cord, etc. Also good for a day hike, which i tend to do more of from mid spring to early fall as i'm a south east summer weather wimp.

Probably not all that helpful to you though…

Jeff Sims
    BPL Member

@jeffreytsims

Locale: So. Cal

I used one of these on my last hike. I switched to a smaller Zpacks Zero with the narrow belt and I ran the multi pack a little lower than it sounds like others may. I love it. I was still able to open my shirt for a breeze while I also had the freedom to move the Multi pack up and down if necessary. Once I found my happy spot think more of a belly pack I was in heaven. I kept a lot smaller things in there including my ditty bag, TP, digging device, Sawyer Mini, reading glasses Lunch (Pro Bars) it is very adjustable with a lot of different attachment points. I for one will not be going back

I attach the Multi with short straps to the lower part of the shoulder straps, just before they connect to the pack Think Lower sternum strap LOL the nice thing is that my multi has 3 sets of clips on each side. top, middle, and bottom. Mine hangs from the top clips 98% of the time.
    YMMV

Jeff

Owen McMurrey
    Spectator

@owenm

Locale: SE US

I use the multi-pack in cool to cold weather. Left it off last summer, and this one, so far, but may give it a chance soon just to see how it feels in the heat.
    Like Jeff, I wear it low. That way you can see and get into it better.
    Convenient for snacks, map and compass, Sawyer mini, gloves, and camera.
    Ordered it with an extra strap for more length, and often use it with the strap over one shoulder(and under the opposite arm) rather than around my neck. It's more comfortable like that, plus it positions the bag at a bit of an angle, making it easier to reach into.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Ohhhh does your multi pack hang low, does it wobble to and fro, do you tie it with a knot, do you tie it in a bow? Do you wear it near your belly, chest, or wear it over your fro?"

Just some of the important universal questions to ponder while visiting BPL.

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

Like others, I also prefer to wear my Multipack low as opposed to on my chest. Wearing it as a fanny pack has been my choice, although, it can flop around. But, it is more comfortable as a fanny pack, easier to access, and I don't have to unhook it from my pack when removing my pack.

Now that ZPacks has updated their hip belt pockets, it would be a tough decision though…

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Locale: Washington State

Why has a fanny pack worn backward never caught on? I've been doing this since 1992 and it just works. It stays on when you pack is off so you always have a lighter, snack, toilet paper, map, compass or anything else you choose to access frequently.

As others have said, the multipack doesn't need to be so deep. Second, the zipper sucks. It is too small and the strap that goes around back is too dainty. I think Joe could update this into a secondary product offering.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Can you post pictures from this because I can't imagine what you do ?

Velimir Kemec
    BPL Member

@velimirkemec

Hi,

I have Zpacks multipack and use it as overshoulder "mans purse" bag as shown on Zpacks site. That way it doesn't mess with your jacket zipper and it's easy to access/remove without taking your pack off. To add to the options take a look at Locus Gear Nanos utilize bag http://locusgear.com/products-2/accessories/nanos?lang=en

With nearly daily use as "mans purse" for for last year and half I can say its great. It has nice outside mesh pockets and nice back pocket which is long enough to hold your map.

Cheers

John Klinepeter
    BPL Member

@johnzotk

Locale: Northern Rockies, USA

The Gossamer Gear Hipster is essentially a very small fanny pack worn backward. I have been using it for two or three years. I use it even when wearing a pack that already has hip belt pockets. Mine weighs 1.5 ounces; the website shows 1.9 ounces.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Thus the actual fanny pack is worn in front instead of the back, wright ?

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Locale: Washington State

Correct… fanny pack but you spin it around and wear it on your belly. It drapes over the hip belt when the pack is on.

Doing this allows you easy access to a range of items and it tends to be much larger and more useful for me than the hip belt pockets which are sometimes fiddly to access and often smaller than needed.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Oh, that's all ! We've being doing that for ages. Works indeed like a charm.

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

"Why has a fanny pack worn backward never caught on? I've been doing this since 1992 and it just works. It stays on when you pack is off so you always have a lighter, snack, toilet paper, map, compass or anything else you choose to access frequently. "

Yup, this. My camera, wallet, eyeglasses, phone (if I'm carrying one), SAK, and anything else I'd like to keep handy are always available, pack or no.

I still have hip belt pockets on my Circuit — the right side has Purell and powder, the left side is for my snacks. My waist pack easily slides over the left side hip belt pocket so it doesn't bang around while walking.

I did try that Golite chest pouch years ago and found it too sweaty.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I use both a waist pack and hip belt pockets. I have an Inov-8 Race Elite 2L that I carry my Panasonic G5 and two lenses in on the front, below my hipbelt. I keep a compass, chapstick, eye drops, and that kind of stuff in the hipbelt pockets. Works awesome for me. The waist pack rides low enough that it doesn't interfere with the belt of the backpack and I can drop the big pack and just carry the camera to cool photo opportunities with very little fuss.

Adam

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

How big of one do you all like,+2 liter or less than?

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

can some of you guys who use the multipack in the front please post pictures?? I want to like it – I really, really do – but it seems to bounce around a bit too much for me to want to carry it.

I'd love to see what I'm doing wrong…..

Packman Pete
    BPL Member

@packmanpete

Does anybody use the multipack as a pack lid?
    Also known as a brain?
    Looks like it would make access to the pack bag a problem.

It sounds like almost everybody uses it as a fanny pack for a camera, but I don't carry one.

Jake S

@spags

The Multi-pack is the new helium, since anything stored in it counts as worn/carried weight and not against your base weight.

Now you can cyberhike in style. :)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Since when does carried weight not count against your base weight?

–B.G.–

Jake S

@spags

do you count your trekking poles as your base weight?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"do you count your trekking poles as your base weight?"

What poles?

If you aren't wearing them, then you are carrying them. If poles are not consumable, then they fall into the category of base weight.

–B.G.–

David Ure

@familyguy

Just one pole. The other is on the ground every two steps.

;)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools