Topic

What would you spend your bonus on?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What would you spend your bonus on?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Phil Stetz
    Spectator

@pstetz

I got some great news today – I'm getting a pretty fat bonus at work! I can't really decide what to purchase, so I thought I could solicit some ideas from the group. Obviously I've got to pay my Uncle Sam first, and then I plan on putting 1/3 of the remainder in savings. After that, I'm not sure what I want to spend it on. Any suggestions?

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Depends on on how big the bonus is, I currently have a few things on my 'wishlist':

Here's the outdoor stuff that's on my list.

For Family (for "car camping"):
    * Nicer Tent (probably one from AplsMoutaineering.com through their ScoutDirect.com program)
    * Pads / Sleeping bags for the Wife, baby and I. (possibly some that could couple).
    * Random other equipment, nicer stove, etc.

For Me:
    * Bushbuddy (I just bought a Ti-Tri Caldera and can't wait to use it)
    * UL Shelter of some sort (maybe one of those new GOLite that are coming out).
    * Quilt
    * Sewing Machine and other stupplies / more tools to make stuff for myself (in reality, for me, as an engineer making my own gear is actually a luxury rather than a cost savings [as my time… i tend to be slow because I'm still a fumbler… is worth more than I save], at least until the rug rat gets old enough to 'help' in which case it becomes father/son bonding time)

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

You can buy equipment anytime, use it to travel somewhere really cool and make do with the stuff you have once you get there. At least that's my opinion from this end of the rabbit hole.

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

Shawn Basil

@bearpaw

Locale: Southeast

I think you should spend your money on a healthy donation to the Bearpaw Ministry of Wandering Enlightenment. I'm the High Priest of the congregation of one. All donations are completely tax deductible and you'll have the satisfaction of knowing you are contributing to the spiritual enlightenment of others. ;-)

PM me for details of where to send the check!

Or you could save the money for when Brian Frankle returns in December and buy a ULA pack…….

Jon Rhoderick
    BPL Member

@hotrhoddudeguy

Locale: New England

Well, the coming paycheck I am going to receive will ease the annoyance of having to ask my parents to buy stuff for me every once in a while, so I'd count it as a bonus, and I think ill spend it on stuff not as having to do with light weight, but also having an element of incredible compressibility, as I have found that a heavy load well packed can often be more bearable than a lighter load thats less compact. Those NEMO air bivies and tents are excellent examples that come to mind. Or i could buy another guitar….

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

I second Larry's comment. Someone once said, "Spend your money on plane tickets, not gear."

Scott Jones

@ultimate2

Several ideas here already posted here and some new ones perhaps.

1.Dream Trip to some place you really want to backpack in. Nols or the National Outdoor Leadership school offers various trips that are both educational and look like loads of fun.

2.Buy the Nunatak Arc Ghost with the Eider Down. It is around a thousand dollars or so to do it that way.

3.The new Nemo tents are very cool. They have one now where two foam pads can be slipped into a sleeve and snapped into the floor of the tent so you have no gaps for your nights rest. The whole tent floor is a mattress. A real comfortable idea.

4.Buy a top of the line sleeping bag from Western Mountaineering, Montbell, Vallandre, Integral Designs.

6. Buy a cool backpack or maybe several.

7. Buy a top of the line Digital movie camera to film your backcountry journeys.

Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

I'M GETTING A BONUS? REALLY!?!? Is someone telling my boss?

I had this idea after collecting $ for Philmont next year, and seeing a couple of kids have to back out (likely because of not just the registration fee, but also the gear they'd have to buy). I was thinking of collecting lightweight gear to loan to kids to go. I'd probably spend my bonus on advertising and getting an organization setup to make it tax deductable and collect reasonably light gear to help.

Any comments on if you think this would fly appreciated.

MikeB

Shawn Basil

@bearpaw

Locale: Southeast

If you arranged a gear fund with your district or council office, it should definitely be a tax-deductible contribution for any one who wanted to contribute. I know the BSA is a tax-deductible contribution, though I don't know if it counts when given to an individual troop or not. I know that money or gear given to a council is a tax-deduction, and I think the district applies also.

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

The National and District Councils ARE tax-exempt, 501(c)(3s,) and donations of gear ARE tax deductible. The Troops, Dens, Posts, etc. are considered to be "owned" by their sponsor and gear donations to them are deductible if contributions to the sponsoring organization is deductible.

Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

Correct Richard,
    we're going through the 501c3 process now for the troop.

Thanks,
    Mike

John Rowling II
    BPL Member

@jrowling

Locale: Great Lakes Area

How about doing the "West Coast Trail". Some rank it the world's best hike.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

"Plastics"

What is this "bonus" thing of which you speak? Does it contain actual bone? If it's a one-time thing, I'd use it to do something I'd never otherwise attempt (note to self: hot air ballooning in B.C. is now off-list). Or, I'd take lessons in some area of interest from an acknowledged master (a photography retreat with a pro whose work I admire, cooking lessons from Paul Prudhomme, blend wine with Paul Draper…). Education is the best chance of getting back more than you put in.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Rick, you're dating yourself with that '68 Graduate reference "one word.. plastics" LOL..

I'd spend any excess fund on travelling, not gear. Warm beaches and clear water don't require much gear..

Phil Stetz
    Spectator

@pstetz

Thanks a lot for the suggestions! After spending the last 7 years of my professional life on the road 5 days a week, I really can't stand the thought of any more travel – at least for the short term. I live in SoCal and there's plenty of beautiful places that are no further than a short drive away. I had to drop out of a Kings Canyon trip last year due to work, maybe I can make that up this year with some new gear …

Here's the list I've got so far:
    – Nicer compass (that still is in line w/ my navigation abilities) Brunton 8040G
    – MLD Soul Bivy
    – GW Cape
    – Suunto Vector (or G6)

I still have some room to play with, maybe I'll take my GF out to a really nice dinner or cooking class. hmmm decision decisions.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

light

light

Phil Stetz
    Spectator

@pstetz

LOL ^^^

Jon Rhoderick
    BPL Member

@hotrhoddudeguy

Locale: New England

signal light

I'll "PM" you

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

"If you are married, spend it on your wife. It will go a long way in ensuring future gear purchases are 'approved,' if ya know what I mean. ;)"

Not a half bad idea… invest it!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools