Topic

Make your own camp slippers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Make your own camp slippers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Mitchell Keil

@mitchellkeil

Locale: Deep in the OC

I have been trying to find the ultimate camp shoe: Very lightweight, durable, water-resistant sole, and not too warm for summer and warm enough for fall. I used to just leave my trail shoes on and that is still ok. But…

So, I made a pair of camp shoes. I took a pair of 200 wt Acorn polartec socks and made a sole out of 1/8" thick evazote that is cut large enough to curve up the sides of the sock and extends up the heel about 2". Then I took these to a shoemaker. (Shoemakers have those special sewing machines that can work with thick materials and inside a shoe to sew on soles, so they would work with my Acorn socks.) For about $20 (outrageous, I know!) he sewed them together and now I have a pair of 3oz camp socks that are good until the weather turns really cold but are still breathable enough to use during the summer.

They look much like the much heavier sock slippers one sees in LL Beann or Cabellas.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Good job, Mitchell! Very light, too.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools