Topic

Supplementing a synthetic bag with down… can it be done?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Supplementing a synthetic bag with down… can it be done?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Gardner
    Spectator

@splproductions

I know this sounds junky, but I have a cheap 48 degree bag (synthetic) that weights a whoppin' 35oz. I was wondering if it would work to buy a little bit of down, cut the bag open, and supplement the synthetic with down. Would that work?

Has anyone ever tried buying a budget bag just for the shell, taking out ALL of the synthetic fill, and putting down in? Am I way off base here?

David Wills

@willspower3

If you are going to do that, you may as well get the materials you want and make it yourself. Synthetic bags probably won't have down proof material, especially if they are cheap. The material will also be much heavier than what you can buy cheaply. If you stuffed down in your bag, you then just have a non baffled 3lb sleeping bag good to 30 degrees. If you take all the insulation out, you are left with a heavy shell, no baffles, and extra insulation along the quilting lines. A sewn threw down bag will only be good to about 40* tops. If you are a beginning DIYer, consider the Ray Way quilt kit for your sleeping bag bag needs, its cheap and would be lighter and warmer than a Frankenstein bag. The instructions are perfectly clear and takes about 8 hours for your first quilt (probably less time and less frustrating than a franken-bag persuit). Another plus is that you can't get the materials as cheap as he sells them to you unless you buy bulk. Have fun with DIY, its more addictive than drugs or coffee

Andrew Richard

@fairweather8588

Locale: The Desert

"Have fun with DIY, its more addictive than drugs or coffee"

Agreed.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools