Topic

Aerogel

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Aerogel

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Steve Smith

@bardsandwarriors

Locale: Wales

This magic material, which is about 3 times the density of air and is super-insulating, is used in NASA space suits. It has been around for decades but has recently become cheaper and more useful.

Has anyone tried working with it, or manufacturing with it? It strikes me as perfect for ultralighting. You might get a 32F quilt for barely more than the weight of the fabric.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

POE is using it in their sleeping mats. However, word has it that the material is prone to flaking if handled roughly, so it needs to be protected (which POE does by encapsulating it). Because of this, I suspect it's use is outside the realm of DIY.

However, it's merits have been touted a lot, and yes a quilt could be wonderful. The one drawback is that it's not too compressible (if it's compressible at all). So, you're talking about taking on a pretty hefty volume penalty for said quilt.

Steve Smith

@bardsandwarriors

Locale: Wales

Good point Joshua. I think a quilt might roll or fold up like a thin mat, but it would be very, very light.

Jon Rhoderick
    BPL Member

@hotrhoddudeguy

Locale: New England

There was a debate I think about "8000 meter" worthy boots in the mountaineering section that brought up the debate of Aerogel. Definatly a great idea for pads and insoles, I bet you could make a 3/4 pad that weight about 10 OZ for winter use if you figured how to work it

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools