Topic

Planning for a BPL Poll

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Planning for a BPL Poll

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 51 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Locale: Denmark

for doing this Delmar! Looking forward to the results.

Btw, we don't have bears in Denmark. BUT, we have 35 million pigs, and 5 million people.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"I thought beer was supposed to be included in the base weight."

Only the empty cans are counted as non-consumable base weight. The liquid beverage is presumably consumable.

–B.G.–

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

> for doing this Delmar! Looking forward to the results. Btw, we don't have bears in Denmark. BUT, we have 35 million pigs, and 5 million people.

For reals? News to me. I thought you had both polars and browns.

Wasn't there some international conservation effort on behalf of polar bears co-signed by Russia, Denmark, Canada, and US? Maybe my memory is going bad. Could have sworn I'd seen photos of Danish browns.

Well, then you Danes are absolved of carrying bear canisters, and are required to carry pig canisters instead.

And you're welcome, my pleasure! It's a fun project. I'm just impatient to share the results at this point. I can imagine a lively discussion of the results, which should generally fall into to two broad categories:

(1) Knew it already, so you're wasting time.
    (2) Didn't know that, so it can't be true.

N is now 132! Woot!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Would you like some polar bears?

Their habitat is shrinking so they may need to find new home…

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Locale: Denmark

Well, you've probably not read wrong, but our interests in conservation of polars is probably because of the ones in Greenland. Which is a autonomous country within the Kingdom of Denmark. Our Monarch is also theirs.

The brown ones you are thinking of might be the ones in Sweden.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

Friends, this survey has generated more interest than I was expecting. I contacted Roger and asked him if BPL would like the data and graphics when finished. Roger asked me if I'd be willing to write the results into a BPL article. I think I'm far too inexperienced a backpacker to write a good article for a sophisticated audience as we have here, so I declined, and asked Roger if he'd like to write an article instead, based on the data being gathered. He said OK. So I'm shipping the data and graphics to Roger and crew, and you can expect a BPL article with the results sometime after the poll closes. The BPL staff will be able to add deeper and more significant commentary and interpretation than I could hope to.

I am leaving the BPL staff with a couple of difficult to interpret variables by the way I asked some of the questions. For example, it's difficult to tell which maps people are using, based on the way I set up the options, and by allowing multiple choices. (Allowing multiple choices always make the interpretation more complicated.) So the staff will be doing the best they can with the imperfect survey I whipped together. I mention this by way of saying: don't blame BPL staff for some of the inevitable ambiguity in the results. They're just working with the survey I wrote. A few interpretation issues aside, there is (to me at least, and Roger seems to think so too) some really interesting data here. So I hope you will enjoy the data when it's published.

Thanks to the 138 who have participated so far!

If you've not responded yet, the poll is still open:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MNKKFDK

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Locale: Washington State

Just be upfront and be ready to have some stones thrown your way. Thick skin helps.

I was 14lb base weight although that is a little heavy. Without the bear canister it is 12 lbs.

I don't consider myself to be half way to UL. I'm right were I want to be after trying all kinds of combinations of gear. Would I like less weight? Absolutely…. but everyone finds their personal comfort level and I'm pretty close to mine.

Gerald L
    Spectator

@mtngeronimo

Locale: SoCal

Will the article be made available to us lowly F members?

Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

Locale: SoCal

Delmar (and Roger), you may want to consider posting a new thread now that the poll is live. I suspect a number of people may have looked at your initial post with some interest, but aren't checking back in on the later developments in the "planning" thread. If Roger can make it some sort of official announcement, then that would be even better.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I put 32 lbs. for "Base Weight".
    That's my TOTAL pack weight with 7 days food and 2 L. of water. (Yet another Senior Moment.)

My base weight is 12 lbs.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

AAaarrggghhh!

…. but for a very different reason: the data is heading towards a black hole!

I was looking forward to the numbers.
    Now it could be Months before it comes out.

How about a "Raw Data Report" and let the brave interpret as they see fit?

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

^^ ditto ^^

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo

What are the odds this is published first or the AtoZ thing gets finished first?

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

I did the same. My base weight is 9 pounds. My 5 day total is about 16 pounds.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Barry P
    BPL Member

@barryp

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)

+1 to RodgerDodger and Greg.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> AAaarrggghhh!
    >…. but for a very different reason: the data is heading towards a black hole!
    Oh no it is not! We are letting the survey run a little longer as data is still coming in. But then the results WILL be published fairly quickly, as promised.

I am planing on making it a 'fact' article, with a distribution curve for each question. So you will be able to see for instance how many users there are for each sort of cooking system (just as an example). Yes, there will be some discussion of the results in the article, but not a huge amount. You guys can do the discussion bit!

Schedule: I have to get the survey published inside 4 weeks. Otherwise there will be a long delay. But I can get it published quickly.
    And I think I can get it published as an open article so everyone can read it.

Cheers

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Excellent!

I'm bowing down and waving my arms….

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

If at all possible it would be fair to make survey article results viewable to all that participated. Looking forward to seeing them myself.

Thanks jimmyb

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> I'm bowing down and waving my arms….
    Huh. Gold and silver would help more …
    :-)

Cheers

Viewing 20 posts - 51 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools