Topic

Trekking pole extender

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Trekking pole extender

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Madeline T

@madscot13

Could somebody kindly suggest a material to use for a trekking pole extender for my tarptent double rainbow? thanks

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

cut a section of pvc pipe or aluminum tubing

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

depends on how far you want to extend.
    Ive used a rock for a couple inches quite a few times

When setting up a large mid, I didnt like the pole extenders, it wasnt particularly stable. Two poles lashed together with rubber straps worked better IMO.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I don't use trekking poles, but I use some thin carbon fiber poles for my shelter. I needed to extend them by an inch or two for some weather situations, and a short piece of aluminum tubing worked well. I used epoxy to fasten a screw onto the bottom with the dull end facing into the dirt. This serves as a stabilizing stake to keep the tubing from moving around on the dirt.

–B.G.–

Madeline T

@madscot13

Is there a certain diameter of Al tubing that is optimal?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I think you just want any kind of strong tubing that fits firmly on the pointy end of your trekking pole.

If you are making something short, then the strength of the tubing material isn't a big deal, but as you head toward something longer and longer, the strength will become more of an issue. Some backpacking shops will sell a metal ferrule that is used to split a broken tent pole. You can use one of those, but they are only about three inches long.

I needed to jack up a pole one time, but I needed it to go only a half-inch. I found a plastic toothpaste cap that worked perfectly, except that it was green, so it kept getting lost on the ground. I painted it with glow-in-the-dark paint, and then I know right where it is.

–B.G.–

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I made some from a curtain rail.
    Took my trekking pole to the hardware shop to see which size rail fitted into my pole tip.
    I then used a hack saw to cut the wanted section of it.
    The ones TT sells are made from stronger Easton aluminium but mine were about twice as long.
    pole extension
    BTW, this is the intended use :
    DR Freestanding ext
    so it does not need to be as strong as the extensions made to hold up a fly.

Dennis Nguyen
    Spectator

@nagakuraruan

Locale: Orange County

How did you specifically tie knots for the trekking poles?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Item #4107 from

http://www.questoutfitters.com/tent_poles.htm#TENT%20POLES

Pick up some end caps. cut to length. Done

Dennis Nguyen
    Spectator

@nagakuraruan

Locale: Orange County

I was wondering if the knot to the pole extender was a timber hitch, because my knot keeps slipping. I probably just need more rope. I was wondering if there was a more convenient way to connect it. My pole extender is slightly larger than the end sleeve, so I cant use that.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

hard to see in that shot but there is a hole in that tube and the tie-out line goes through that hole.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Depending on the diameter, I like aluminum crutches from a thrift store. They have far too many and I either get them for $2 a pair or sometimes am told, "Take as many as you want, for free." I drill out the rivets and use the tubing for frames, lightweight tripod seats, and various projects that come up. If you don't care about the weight (gasp!) there are click-stop settings at the bottom with indents every inch for about 10 inches. For testing tents and tarps in the backyard, that flexibility could be sweet and let you get your lengths dialed in before cutting or ordering expensive carbon fiber poles.

Also, I can often find old down-hill ski poles in aluminum for $5/pair at the thrift store. Those are a little thicker walled, but nicely tapered at the bottom end, meaning you can find whatever ID/OD you want based on where you cut them.

You can also use them as the spikes on Sauron's armor:

Sauron

and Klingon disrupters (much lighter bear protection than a .458 rifle):

disrupters

Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

Locale: SoCal

A very cheap and very light way to go would be to buy a pair of graphite (i.e. carbon fiber) golf clubs from the thrift store and cut them to size. They're normally tapered, so (as with the aluminum ski poles David mentioned) you can cut them where you want to get the proper interior diameter to fit your trekking pole tip without much play.

My local thrift store has buckets of them in the back, as low as $3 each.

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

I had some three-section Black Diamond trekking poles. One of the pole sections had its tip fail, and so I bought a new replacement pole section from BD. I used the old section with the broken tip as a pole extender. I sawed off one end of the failed section The good (replaced) trekking pole tip fits right into the open end of the failed pole section. The part of the “extender” that meets the ground will be fitted with a snow basket. Thus, now I have a nice long pole that can be used in winter with handle up, tip down (with basket) in the snow!  :-)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools