Topic

People who don’t enjoy camping

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique People who don’t enjoy camping

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 51 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"I've always wanted to try one, but I'm either above tree line or my dog is with me. He does much better IN the tent than leashed outside – he actually likes going in the tent with me."

Your pup can sleep in the hammock with you! A woman in my backpacking group sometimes sleeps in a hammock with her pup, a 68-pound lab! I asked her how she goes about it. Here's her reply:

Yes, you got it exactly right. More specifically she sleeps in the hammock with me in winter and bad weather but on the ground (on a mat) near the hammock in good weather.

I sling the hammock low enough that she can hop up in with me (she is a 68 pound lab) but high enough that with her in it, we still end up a foot or so above the ground. I bring a cheap foam mat with me that I double up for her to sleep on so she has a little more structure (and also helps protect the hammock from her toenails–I'm a side sleeper so I just curl up around her–it works quite well! She generally hops in and stays in the same position the whole night–that said, she is a saint of a dog.

… I also consider her part of my sleep system, by the way. Think of the heat she gives off!

Michael Gunderloy
    BPL Member

@ffmike

A fully-enclosed hammock tarp (like the one with doors from Zpacks is enough like a tent that my dog, at least, wouldn't know the difference. Of course she's not the brightest pup on the block.

I can't help wondering whether hammock side-sleeping contributed to my current bout of spine/disk problems, though. Despite a substantial investment in hammock gear I think I'm going to go to ground for a while.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I have not used a hammock. I hike in the chaparral often. There aren't always trees available. Plus I would need all new gear such as underquilts and all that. It doesn't look lighter than what I do now.

Peter Boysen
    BPL Member

@peterboysen

"What people feel as "being uncomfortably dirty" is usually in fact caused my recently having become dirty. "

This is definitely true. I don't mind dirt, but have that sort of psychological barrier with mud. I went caving a couple weeks ago, which forced me into contact with a huge amount of mud, and once you've had to just sit in it and slide down a slope in it, you don't mind anymore. At some point after that, climbing on your belly in mud actually became kind of fun.

Gordon Gray
    BPL Member

@gordong

Locale: Front Range, CO

Here are some thoughts: I can't stand public outhouses. Whether the plastic porta potty or the cement hole at designated car camping sites that most average joes go to. The last thing I want to do is put my exposed butthole in a position to gather others smelly fumes. ewwwwww. I would much rather let it go into a spot where others HAVE NOT.

Now, something similar but different, I would much rather blow my nose the 'farmer blow' stlye. You know, plug one nostral and quickly blow the other down on the ground. Very clean, I think. Using tissue gathers it up and it pretty much smears on your nose and upper lip. That is gross.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

" At some point after that, climbing on your belly in mud actually became kind of fun."

The humorous thing about this is you feel just fine after you have become saturated, but on numerous occasions when I have come home or to a hotel after I have stripped off my clothes and taken a shower the pile of clothes I was wearing a moment before suddenly reveal themselves to be "horrific" and I barely want to touch them. As a member of the nuvo-clean I no longer wish to associate with them, and find them repugnant. :-)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"As a member of the nuvo-clean I no longer wish to associate with them, and find them repugnant. :-)"

That's why, in such a situation, I start my shower fully clothed, then peel off layers after the outward dirt is washed off until I'm in the buff.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

" I would much rather let it go into a spot where others HAVE NOT."

My sentiments too. 11 years of hiking and 20 years of world traveling… and I have never, ever used a pit toilet. But digging a fresh hole and then covering over? No problema.

But back to topic… I don't think we can get much beyond "each to his or her own". I like hiking – though it's just not everyone's cup of tea. But I like traveling even more. And some people can never be talked into it. You know, it's too dangerous, or they don't sleep well in hotels…

Good thing is that we all have options — to pursue or not.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....
    Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

"My sentiments too. 11 years of hiking and 20 years of world traveling… and I have never, ever used a pit toilet."

Not on topic, or even in the same solar system, but…

I once used a pit toilet in Istanbul. It was near the Galata bridge (major nexus of foot traffic) in a huge public bathroom. I guess either pluming trouble, excess use, or intermittent clean up (most likely all three) was the culprit, but this actually turned into one of my major first world meets third world nightmares. It wasn't the pits per se, as I had lots of experience using them while traveling. It was that the pits, every single one of about a dozen on either side of the room (not to mention most of the non-pit area) was…let just say reminiscent of the 3rd circle of the inferno. Lets just say there were drainage issues – in fact I'm sure there were remnants there from Ottoman times. The archeological material in this case even possessed architectural features of its own. Finding a place to put your feet, much less the fear engendered by squatting on my wobbly first world legs over this…well let me just say (sniffle) it was an emotional experience.

John Myers
    BPL Member

@dallas

Locale: North Texas

Interesting comments, and caused me to think about this a bit.

I love being in the mountains and woods. I love hiking in the mountains and woods.

I don't actually like backpacking all that much.

But if you are going on long hikes, you usually have to take a backpack. That's why the whole lightweight movement has been so intriguing to me. Being able to go on long hikes without carrying a heavy pack is great.

I'm not even really sure I like 'camping' as an activity either. I do enjoy sleeping in the mountains and woods, but I'd usually rather be hiking than sitting around in camp.

Maybe I'm just overthinking the definition of camping. :)

edit: oh, and I do love my hammock.

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Locale: Washington State

Hey.. I stopped trying to explain it to people who don't "get it" a long time ago. I don't even try. I'm comfortable being weird and a loner who walks in the woods.

I'm not a good ambassador for our sport. I'd rather people didn't join me.

Viewing 12 posts - 51 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools