Topic

Ultra-Light Hanging Inverted-Canister Stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Ultra-Light Hanging Inverted-Canister Stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    David Kreindler
    Spectator

@david-kreindler

Nobody manufactures one, so I made my own. 152g

Then I threw together a little web site about it.

http://cryophilio.weebly.com

stove with Primus 2.1l potstove inside Primus 2.1l pot

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

152 g = 5.3 oz – pretty good!

is there a problem getting lid off with the three hanging cables?

David Kreindler
    Spectator

@david-kreindler

No, the cables do not put much pressure on the lid, so the lid comes off easily and is easy to put back on.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

How do you get the liquid fuel to flow up hill?
    Billy

Jesse Anderson
    BPL Member

@jeepin05

Locale: Land of Enchantment

Curious what your costs were to have someone cut the new pot supports for you. Also if I am interpreting your drawings correctly it appears that the stove cannot be used in any kind of standing mode, only hanging correct? Either way great job finding a solution to this problem and for a whole lot less weight than the upcoming Jetboil Joule. (which weighs 28oz but uses a 2.5l pot that I'm sure takes up a substantial part of that weight)

Edit: I missed the last picture in the gallery, you can use it in a free-standing mode. it just looks like an overweight person standing on their tiptoes.

David Kreindler
    Spectator

@david-kreindler

It does look a little funny in "standing" mode, though it is actually a bit more stable than a conventional upright canister stove in that mode.

in "standing" mode

Of course it was intended to be a hanging stove. But, as mentioned elsewhere, it actually weighs less than a number of commercial standing remote-canister stoves — the Primus Express Spider (198g), the MSR WindPro II (187g), the Optimus Vega (178g) and the Edelrid Opilio (170g), to name a few.

David Adair
    Spectator

@davidadair

Locale: West Dakota

Very nice. The legs holding the canister is particularly ingenious. Clamping the feed tube to the leg is a nice touch as well.

It looks like it might hang down a bit more than I would like though. What would be the ideal distance, maybe 20 inches overall?

Thoughts to shorten: Perhaps another three legged spreader bar above the pot to fix the cables to? A fourth "leg" could serve as the hook. (With a sideways bend so it was less inclinded to cut maybe?).

Anyway, thats pretty neat.

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

Locale: Scotland

Looks very nicely made.

"As mentioned above, it is not uncommon, in cold temperatures, for the propane in a canister to boil off and be burned, leaving liquid butane behind."

This happens at all temperatures with an upright canister, it's just less noticable that you are running on the remaining butane when the temperature is not cold.

One question tho': I thought hanging stoves where for when you are halfway up Troll Wall or wherever. What do you hang it from inside a tent?

David Kreindler
    Spectator

@david-kreindler

David and Stuart:

Here is a photograph of the stove hanging in the vestibule of a Hilleberg Jannu tent. It is clipped directly to the center section of the vestibule pole with a small plastic carabiner and hangs just above the threshold (the bottom of the door zipper), which is 14cm (5.5 inches) above the floor. I think this is a good height, though my inclination is to err toward hanging too low rather than too high.

hanging in Jannu vestibule

Another option for hanging the stove in the Jannu and similar tents would be from beneath the intersection of the main poles. In the case of the Jannu, this position would raise the stove another 15cm and locate it directly beneath the tent's ceiling vent.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

In the old days, most dome tents had a single hanging loop in the ceiling center, and the hanging stove could be hung from that point. I had a different dome tent with four separate hanging loops sewn in, so I had to connect those to create a single hanging point.

Whichever, the most junior guy in the tent would have to sleep underneath that hanging point for the stove, so anything that slopped out of the pot would fall on his sleeping bag, not the other guys.

Why was it that the women were always smart enough to avoid these situations?

–B.G.–

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools