Topic

Best UL non-stick frying pan for the trail?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best UL non-stick frying pan for the trail?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 51 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Yes the size is the only difference. I was just looking at mine and was pondering the all-important tortilla question and concluded that the quick was probably too small to get the small sized ones flat. Maybe the corn one would fit however. So if you want to be able to do quesadillas without additional prep the flex might be the one you want.

LOL I also agree on the quality of the youtube vids. In fact, it more often than not appear that the less experience with the thing, the more likely people are to post a review.

JJ Willcoxon
    Spectator

@h2oboy

Locale: Midwest

I was just thinking that I should return the 7" Quick and pickup the 9" Flex myself.

I have the 7" trangia and a lighter weight MRS pot lifter, if I need to cut off a few ozs. for a particular trip.

The last time that I used the Blacklite (the one that one of my sons made off with… darn it) to cook flapjacks in, I remember thinking that it would have been nice to have a slightly larger skillet, so I could make a couple at a time. I'm thinking the Blacklites were a 7" too weren't they?

Someone mentioned making larger single pancakes in a 5" skillet earlier. That might be a win too. But, a 9" pan would be better for frying trout in too. I don't haul the pancake mix much anymore. But, I do trout fish on just about every trip over 5 days long.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

JJ, I think the slightly larger one is worth it. You can pack things inside the skillet so it doesn't take up that much more space.

The flex is the perfect size for mountain trout. I can usually fit 3 of them in there.

John Klinepeter
    BPL Member

@johnzotk

Locale: Northern Rockies, USA

The Flex makes a perfect single serving sized pancake IMO. Top with some rehydrated freeze dried fruit, some bacon bits, and some syrup carried in a dinky Nalgene. Good eatin'.

Marko's quesadilla suggestion is a good one, worthy of being saved in my food notes file. Yes, for all intents and purposes a flour tortilla fits into the Flex–I just tried it. I wonder if my steam-baked pita pizza recipe would work in the Skillet, i.e., dry, no steam on very low heat? Also to be tried this year is frying reconstituted hash brown potatoes.

Unlimited possibilities.

JJ Willcoxon
    Spectator

@h2oboy

Locale: Midwest

I found a really tasty dehydrated hashbrown from Hungry Jack brand. They come in a little milk carton like the ones we had in school when I was a kid. So, I repackage them in a zip lock baggie. Soak for 10-15 mins in hot water to soften them up and then fry for 3-4 mins in a preheated skillet to get one side crispy. They absolutely rock.

I don't take them all that often. Because I don't like to spend time cooking and cleaning up in the morning, if I'm on the move that day. But, I take one along for my zero day and have what tastes like a home cooked breakfast that day with some powdered egg and bacon jerkey omelets and pancakes. It really charges me up. Especially around the middle of a longer trip.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

" just tested it and my flex skillet fits over my bear canister."

FWIW, the quick fits perfectly through the hole on a Bearikade.

Jesse Taylor
    BPL Member

@ahikernamedgq

"As you can see from the examples, you'll want pans that are hard anodized aluminum, which are much less sticky than titanium and conduct heat much better and more evenly. I haven't tried these Trangia pans, but they are super light (though probably dent easily and you need a pot lifter):

27 Series: Frypan 2.8 oz, 7.4" x 1.2"

25 Series Frypan 4.2 oz, 8.7" x 1.3"

Ken, the Alpine Fry Bake set also looks nice – they have a lightweight lid as an option which shaves an ounce and gets you down to 11 oz, though you can probably make an even lighter lid with ti foil.

Edited by mountainwalker on 06/12/2014 20:27:53 MDT."

Do you really need ti (ie titanium) foil? Is it really that much lighter than aluminum foil?

Another great thing about the MSR Flex Skillet, with its straight sides you can almost use it like a shallow pot, so, it is ideal to cook things that are porridge or risotto like. I had a really great couscous dish on my first hike (not UL), but 5 days w/ 28 lbs wasn't too bad. I think the MSR Flex Skillet looks versatile.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Anyone know where to get the Trangia 25 HA UL Frypan?

Searches turn up ambiguity –

Trangia 25 Frypan 2

What "part number" am I actually looking for? (I have also found "327543".)

Thanks.

Or if anyone has the UL version they want to get rid of – PM or direct to greg att smgm dott org
    [yes, I know – Gear Swap. But this is here primarily as information on the ambiguity.]

Matthew H
    BPL Member

@vision-quest

Locale: Boulder, CO

May as well update the thread and say I got the flex skillet and it's been awesome. It is starting to lose some non stick but for $30 you can't go wrong.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I have a beautiful Japanese made Ti frying pan – FOR SALE!
    It sticks and, like all Ti cookware, has a hot spot in the center due to the material's lack of good heat dissipation.

I now use an aluminum supermarket (WallyMart) one egg fry pan – minus the handle. It is non-stick with ceramic coating and does all I need for solo cooking.

I also have a larger, folding handle aluminum frying pan for car camping or group winter camping.

Justin McCabe

@justinmc

Locale: Southern California

I just have to say that without any sarcasm at all, that threads like this make me love this site and all you people! 59, now 60 replies to a thread about a frying pad is epic.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Well, it might be epic, but it will be Outstanding if someone can tell me the part number for the Trangia 25 HA UL fry pan, and where to get one.

;-)

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Justin,

You ain't seen nuttin' yet. Wait until they get to posting on mattresses or tarps or "THE BEST" of whatever gear..

And then we usually have a good "Why I'm in a 13 step program to quit buying backpacking gear" post once a year.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"but it will be Outstanding if someone can tell me the part number for the Trangia 25 HA UL fry pan, and where to get one."

Is this it? http://www.jackson-sports.com/en/Trangia-25-Series-Frypan/m-790.aspx

If so, I've ordered from Jackson Sports a number of times, always a good experience.

And then there's this for closer to home: http://www.mpgear.com/327720/trangia-25-frypan-lid-hard-anod-8-7-

I've also ordered from Mountain Plus Gear in the past with a good experience.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Doug,
    I think that's the one.

Guess I'll order it to see what the specs are.

Thanks once again.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

I was able to track down one of the light weight anodised Trangia pans from a New Zealand supplier. I wanted to try some fry baking but I just couldnt get the heat low enough and wondered if something this light is just too thin for fry baking

Viewing 16 posts - 51 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools