Topic

pictures! hooray!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear pictures! hooray!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Colleen Clemens

@tarbubble

Locale: dirtville, CA

pictures of my two-person quilt and the quilt i sewed for my 5-year-old.

my pretty pics

george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Locale: Loco Libre Gear

Very cool! I like the kid's quilt. Nice job!

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

WAY cool Colleen! Beautiful work!

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Colleen

I hope your family knows how lucky they are! Very neat, pro job.

Todd

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Now I just need to find a woman that can do that for me.

Colleen Clemens

@tarbubble

thank you all for the positive reinforcement.

the next big thing is the new family tent, which will be a knockoff of Titanium Goat's tents. i just have to decide if i'm making it out of good ol' silnylon, or if i'm going to take the brave step of using spinnaker. oh, and i have to move before i do it. i can't sew a tent that size on my dining room table with two wild monkeys running around me all day!

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Colleen,

That is superb workmanship!
    Keep up the good work!

I am contemplating a down vest project. I was wondering how you "managed" the down, both how you contained it and how you measured the amount to put in each baffle?

Your insites will be greatly appreciated!

Mike

Colleen Clemens

@tarbubble

thank you very kindly.

down management has not been difficult for me – i haven't needed to put up a tent or create a sealed chamber. the down from thru-hiker arrived mildly compressed in airtight plastic bags. i opened the bags and transferred the down into 13-gallon kitchen trash bags, the kind with drawstring closures. when the time came to use the down, i just set the bag down on the floor next to my table and opened the bag just enough for my hand to get in.

measuring the down was a little tricky for me, as my scale only shows 100ths of an ounce in fives, but for the thru-hiker patterns (i'm assuming you're considering a thru-hiker kit) AYCE notes the exact amount of fill recommended for each chamber. so it might say "0.17 oz" but i'm only able to measure 0.15 or 0.2 on my scale. i just did the best i could and paid close attention to when the scale clicked up to the next increment, then added or subtracted tiny amounts as i judged best. if i overfilled by 0.01 ounces, i'm not too upset. ;)

hope that helps. if you do order from AYCE, he provides excellent customer support through both his message board and over the phone.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools