Topic

JMT hike starting August 5th. Will I see any of you out there?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists JMT hike starting August 5th. Will I see any of you out there?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

Locale: SoCal

Everyone's posting their JMT lists about now, so I might as well join the fun. My dad and I are starting from Glacier Point on August 5th, taking a few side trips (Clouds Rest and probably Mt. Ritter), and finishing at VVR on August 18th.

Here's my gear list. I think it's pretty well settled at this point, but I'll gladly take feedback. Obviously the pack is the kicker, and it's what's keeping me over the 10 lb mark, but I don't think I'll be replacing it for this trip.

There are only two things I keep flipflopping on. First, camp shoes or no camp shoes? If I took any, they'd be IKEA slippers at 5 oz/pair. Second, RidgeRest or REI Flash inflatable pad? The Flash is an extra 7 oz, but as a side sleeper it's definitely more comfortable. Any suggestions on those two questions would be appreciated.

Andrew Williams
    Spectator

@spf3million

Locale: Midwest

I may see you on the trail, starting in Happy Isles on Aug 5. I'm planning on spending the first night near the summit of Clouds Rest if I can find a camp site outside the technically required 100 feet from the trail. Long haul for the first day but I've done it before so hopefully my slightly older legs can do it again.

Eileen Duncan
    BPL Member

@eileensd

Locale: The Sierra or the SF Bay Area

Your list looks good! I have a couple of thoughts re: what you could eliminate/change.

Compass – Though I've brought one on the JMT both times before, I don't think I will this year. As long as you're staying on the trail, it's unnecessary. Plus, the Tom Harrison maps don't leave much to wonder about as you travel. I only used my compass to check the temp. (two in one).

Black Diamond Headlamp – You could shave a couple of ounces here. My Petzl e+lite is 1oz and took me up Whitney in the dark (I mailed extra batteries in my resupply though may not have needed them.).

Face Mask – You'll be in your tent before it gets that cold. If it's for sun protection, use your bandana.

Odor proof bear bag – Not approved in Yosemite or Sequoia/Kings. Not sure how fast you plan to move, but if a ranger asks about your method of protecting your food and sees the BV450 they may have something to say about it (I once watched this happen to someone else). Regardless, we all need to be as responsible as possible when it comes to bears; therefore, everything needs to go in a canister.

Long sleeved insulating layer?? If I read your list correctly, I just saw the shirt you're hiking in (short sleeved), wind jacket, rain jacket, and down jacket. I'm afraid you'll be cold. Have you used the Uniqlo jacket backpacking? Aside from that, maybe a light weight long-sleeved merino or capeline top layer?

Camp shoes – your pack is super light… it might be worth it to carry the extra ounces and bring some camp shoes. I know lots of folks don't, but they are a real luxury and much appreciated if you stop for lunch or a swim and to put on after your day's hike. I think you might be able to find flimsy flip flops for <5oz. Mine are <4oz, but my feet are probably smaller.

Sleeping pad – be comfortable and be warm (I couldn't find much of a difference in the pads' r-values).

Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

Locale: SoCal

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll see if I spot a smaller light on the cheap. This one was an REI Garage Sale find, and I'm not going to spend much money to save 2 oz at this point, but I might pick up a Fenix L1 knock-off from Amazon. The compass has to stay for our side trip to Mt. Ritter, since that's mainly off-trail.

To clarify, the odor proof bag is going to go inside the bear canister as a liner. It's just a small extra measure of protection, and it keeps my pack and other gear from stinking of food. The 450 should be enough space for all our food between resupplies, since we're leaving the trail before the MTR->Whitney stretch.

The Smartwool zip top I'm hiking in is long sleeved, so I should be alright there. I have a 6 oz fleece vest I could add, but I have a feeling that would end up being dead weight. I've used the Uniqlo jacket in temps down to the mid-high 40s or so, I don't hike with a thermometer so it's hard to tell exactly. I figure if I layer that with my merino shirt and a windshirt, by the time I get cold it'll be time to get under the quilt.

Speaking of which, the facemask is a fleecy neoprene thing with holes over the mouth and the bottom of the nose. I only anticipate using it for sleeping. It's totally a luxury item, but my quilt is hoodless and I find my face gets cold even when the rest of me is toasty warm. This keeps the wind off, keeps my nose from going numb, and makes for a nice sound sleep. A buff or balaclava could do the same job, but I find those annoying to breathe through, they're more prone to condensation, and they don't block the wind.

afterdarkphoto
    BPL Member

@afterdarkphoto

Locale: Central Sierra Nevada's

Perhaps I'll see you on the trail. I'm leaving aug 2nd from Hoover wilderness twin lakes and meeting my dad in seki on aug 17th,

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools