Topic

Good trails around Atlanta, GA

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Good trails around Atlanta, GA

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Luke

@rluke

Locale: Atlanta (missing CA)

Does anyone know of any good hiking trails CLOSE (and I know that can be a relative term) to Atlanta?? I am interested in day hikes and/or backpacking trip suggestions.

Jesse Glover

@hellbillylarry

Locale: southern appalachians

You're right close is a relative term. There is good dayhiking at kennesaw mtn and stone mtn sweetwater park is not bad either all are within 30 45 min from midtown. If you are willing to drive 1.5-3 hours then the possibilities are endless. The Benton Mackaye is just up 575/515, The Bartram/Chatooga river trail is up 985/441. Jacks River and the Conasoga(sp) River are both great this time of year but very crowded on the weekends esp. around the falls. If you want to drive about 3 hours I Highly recomend the Joyce Kilmer/Slickrock Creek wilderness. I have hiked for 5 days in JKS without seeing a single other person. Oh and the pinhoti trail in Alabama is only about 2 hours from atlanta and is just beautiful.

Ryan Luke

@rluke

Locale: Atlanta (missing CA)

Jesse,

Thanks for the information. Are there any changes you would suggest for my gear list? I am coming from California, and I have mainly hiked in the Sierras and the rockies. Again, thanks for the info.

Jesse Glover

@hellbillylarry

Locale: southern appalachians

I would ditch the bear canister and just hang my food, bears are just not an issue down here. I would also be concerned about condensation inside the tarptent the humidity can be 80-100% at times.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

You've got a lot of places you can hit in Western NC as well in the Nantahala and Pisgah National Forests (figure 3 hours from Atlanta..could be more depending on where you go).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools