Topic

Lightest baselayer top and gloves

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightest baselayer top and gloves

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

I'm looking at replacing my baselayer top to get it under 4 oz. I was wondering: Is this possible with merino wool? I use microweight Smartwool bottom baselayer pants at around 5.15 oz. Not sure what a microweight top would weigh. Maybe around 5 oz?

Additionally, are there superlight gloves for summer mountains where expected lows are 30s-40s? My MH Powerstretch gloves weigh 1.34 oz but have sprung several holes.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

my DeFeet wool gloves weigh 2.1oz I use them on the bike, snowshoeing, xc ski, hike etc

my Icebreaker 200 long sleeve is 7oz

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Locale: Midwest -or- Rockies

Marmot Midweight Baselayer Glove. My mediums weight 0.8oz.

Hard to find now, but found them here on sale:
    http://www.hermitshut.com/product/marmot-midweight-baselayer-glove/

HTH

KJ

James Couch
    Spectator

@jbc

Locale: Cascade Mountains

My Ibex Woolies Merino base layer (long sleeve) is 5.7 oz. Ibex lightweight (very thin) Merino liner gloves come in at just over 2oz. The new Woolies base is listed at 6.4 oz. Not sure you will find any wool much lighter.

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

they are sufficently thin that while wearing them i can do anything that i could do bare-handed. they are also thin enough that all my other gloves will layer over them. I'm thinking the are sub 1 oz. for something a little warmer i also really like their silkweight windstopper Gloves. i'm guessing a pair is somewhere between 1 and 2 oz's.

nleve0778@ gmail.com

@quixotic_1

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

My Patagonia "Merino 1" long sleeve (which is literally see-through), still weighs over 5 ounces…

Anonymous
    Inactive

Arc'teryx Motus in a size small weighs 3.9 oz, probabl around 4.7-5 in a medium. It's an excellent Sierra 2 season baselayer and is rated SPF 25. REI windpro gloves are about 1.5 oz and good down into the 30's.

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

Wow, 0.8 oz is not bad. Is that for the pair?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools