Topic

Camp shoes?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Camp shoes?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Joseph Bernier
    BPL Member

@sigeats

Locale: Southern California

Anybody know of a really lightweight flip flop? I like taking off my shoes at the end of the day and wearing flip-flops around camp. I know it's a luxury, but what can I say? My current flops come in at around 10 oz . . . I'm sure I can find a lighter option. Any ideas? Links?

David Goodyear
    BPL Member

@dmgoody

Locale: mid-west

try using crocs or holey shoes or any knock off foam shoe.
    they are very light. Mine are 10 oz for the closed toe version. They have a heel strap and stay on better than flip flops.

Dave

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

My feet perspire enough that I classify camp shoes as a necessity rather than a luxury. YMMV

I used Crocs knockoffs (Airwalks) at Philmont for the last half of July and they worked well. I'd estimate that at least 25% of the trekkers I saw packed Crocs or Croc imitators.

While I have not weighed them, my tentmate on that trip opined that the real Crocs were heavier than his imitators (purchased at Target). There are also differences between the alternatives in the number and size of the ventilation holes. My Airwalks seemed to be on the fewer/smaller end of the range.

One of the scouts in our crew used track shoes (purchased at Kohls) as camp shoes. Again, I did not weight them but they were very very light and I would imagine they'd be a better fording shoe than Crocs (if your trips cross unbridged streams)

Theodore Vidnovic

@vidnovic

Locale: SF Bay Area

I use a pair of old fashioned flip flops from Wally World, cost ~$2 weight ~5 oz.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

My Crocs knockoffs double duty as stream crossers and camp shoes. Extremely comfy after a hard day on the trail. They dangle on the outside of my pack.

Benefits over flip-flops are 1. more foot protection on stream crossings and 2. thick soles keep ones feet/socks cleaner and dryer around camp.

Penalties: 1. weigh about double what the lightest flip-flops weigh and 2. cost significantly more than flip-flops.

Bottom line for me: I love my Crocs (knockoffs)!

Kevin Egelhoff

@kegelhoff

Locale: Southern Cal

I used to always wear the cheap and light flip-flops but two years ago went to foam soled slippers!
    You can get the cheap ones at WallMart or Target for under $10.00
    I bought a pair of Vans last year that are really light.
    So nice to get up in the early morning or slip into them in the evening after washing up and wear them around camp. My friends all thought I was crazy but EVERYONE of them bring them as the one luxury item now!

Dave Heiss
    BPL Member

@daveheiss

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Based on recommendations from an earlier thread on this same subject, I decided to purchase the nylon mesh shoes from Sprint Aquatics. A pair (Mens large, 11-13) weighs about 2 ounces total, and on a recent trip into Olympic National Park they were great for kicking around camp and for fording a couple of streams than had blown out their bridges. The soles are thin foam, and I did have a few sharp sticks poke through them, but they stay firmly on your feet and it felt almost like I was walking barefoot in them. They fit snug enough and provided enough protection that stream fording was secure and easy, and they dry almost instantly.

The shoes do seem to run small – I wear a 10.5-11 shoe, and the Spring Aquatic 11-13 size (their largest size) is a good fit. I think anyone with feet larger than a size 11 might find them uncomfortably tight. And, since the entire top is nylon mesh, your feet/socks will get dirty if your camp is in a dusty area.

I have a pair of Croc knock-off's too, but the Sprint Aquatics are way lighter and pack in less space than a single beach flip-flop, and so they've won a permanent place in my pack. By the way, the shipping charges are a bit high for such featherweight gear, so I ordered 3 pairs to try and glean some efficiency for the expense.

The website is http://www.sprintaquatics.com

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

I second Dave's comments. I own a pair and think these are great little shoes at two ounces per pair.

Another option would be to just make you own foam slippers. Use a foam pad as the sole and maybe a sock liner as the top. You could sew, super glue, or duct tape the sock to the sole. With a little trimming I bet you could get a very light, fairly insulated slipper. I remember someone taking a pair of shoe liners and turning them into thongs (put some string in a couple places). I imagine they were really light, but I never liked thongs (I never liked the feel of something between my toes).

Tim Cheek
    BPL Member

@hikerfan4sure

I'll throw in approval, too. I bought two pair, but haven't worn out the first yet. Nearly did a face plant a few years ago using a walmart teva wanna be knock off. They slid off my feet too easily.

Do need to be careful walking on anything sharp, though, as the sole is pretty thin. Also, size up, as recommended.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I bought 2 pair of Sprint Aquatics pool slippers. Wore the 1st pair out on a week-long trip in Utah's Paria Canyon this summer.
    Worse than the mesh tops giving out quickly was the soles being punctured by sticks. Even got a hole in MY sole once!

So now I'll look at K Mart's indoor slippers & see if they have sturdier soles. A few ounces more is worth the durability…and safety.

Eric

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Both Ford and I take Faux Crocs on most trips. (I have 3 pairs to be truthful….) I have learned that wearing ones that are just on the snug side work better for river crossings (if they are sloppy loose, a brisk water flow will have it tugging at your shoes. Snug fit=they don't move).

Being female mine are lighter than men's ;-)

Joseph Bernier
    BPL Member

@sigeats

Locale: Southern California

Thanks for the ideas/suggestions. I think I'll head on over to Target and see what's what. I don't think I'll go with the Crocs . . . just to big and bulky! I'm sure they are super comfortable, and would probably be great for river crossings, but I'm kind of a keep the shoes on guy when it comes to crossings. Really just want something to slip into after a long day on the trail. I really like the slipper idea! The Sprint Aquatics look cool, but I've got a pair of size 13 feet, and it sounds like I wouldn't fit in them. Thanks again for all the info. Happy Trails!

Mitchell Keil

@mitchellkeil

Locale: Deep in the OC

I know I am coming late to the discussion, but I too have been trying to find the ultimate camp shoe: Very lightweight, durable, water-resistant sole, and not too warm for summer and warm enough for fall. I used to just leave my trail shoes on and that is still ok. But…

So, I made a pair of camp shoes. I took a pair of 200 wt Acorn polartec socks and made a sole out of 1/8" thick evazote that is cut large enough to curve up the sides of the sock and extends up the heel about 2". Then I took these to a shoemaker. (Shoemakers have those special sewing machines that can work with thick materials and inside a shoe to sew on soles, so they would work with my Acorn socks.) For about $20 (outrageous, I know!) he sewed them together and now I have a pair of 3oz camp socks that are good until the weather turns really cold but are still breathable enough to use during the summer.

They look much like the much heavier sock slippers one sees in LL Beann or Cabellas.

Mike Richards

@mikeman

Locale: USA

I use Salomon Karmas as a combination hike and camp shoe. They are good to use on shorter hikes during the summer and the fold-down heel is useful in camp because you can just slide your feet right in. The downside is the mesh doesn't give you much protection from sticks and cold air, the heel strap needs to be tightened fairly often while hiking, and support is only adequate so it is best used on short hikes. But if you can deal with the shortcomings, the karmas will save you from carrying in separate camp shoes.

Andrew Lush
    BPL Member

@lushy

Locale: Lake Mungo, Mutawintji NPs

Here's a super lightweight solution, courtesy of David Mauldin's website, that you can easily make yourself (it takes about 10 minutes to make them).

They're very light, very cheap and surprisingly durable. I made a pair a couple of years back, and I'm still using them. They are very easy to pack as they just slip into a side pocket ready to use when you need them.

I even used them for a 10km section of a walk along the Colo River (north of Sydney) and they stood up to it just fine. However, I mostly just use them as very welcome camp shoes at the end of a hard day.

Here's the link:
    http://www.trailquest.net/sandals.html

Andy

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

The Merrell Vapor Sandals look like they might be the perfect combo water hiking sandal/camp sandal that is light but holds to the feet while walking on rock either on land or under water and immediately drying after being in water as nothing soaks up moisture in the shoe (as it looks on the web page).

http://www.merrell.com/Product/NZGP/Mens-Active-Footwear/Sport-Sandals/Mens/Vapor.aspx

They supposedly weigh only 10 ounces apiece (if one assumes their listed weight of 1 lb 4 ounces. Currently I own Salomon Karma Water Shoes which weigh at 11 ounces apiece and they worked great on my recent 15 day hike in SEKI but they do not dry immediately as they do hold moisture until dried by the Sun (but they do dry fast though). Does anyone have the Merrell Vapor Sandals and have they hiked through streams with them (and used going up and down to water's edge from your camp sight (over some rocks in some cases, up and down some hills in other cases))? Note, I did not use these for hiking (only for water walking or camp shoes).

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Andrew

> I even used them for a 10km section of a walk along the Colo River (north of Sydney) and they stood up to it just fine.
    On the Colo??? What section? I find it hard to imagine them lasting 1 km, let alone 10, in that country!

Otherwise a rather smart idea.

Cheers
    Roger

Andrew Lush
    BPL Member

@lushy

Locale: Lake Mungo, Mutawintji NPs

G'day Roger,

I can understand your disbelief. On checking the map it was more like 7kms and it was in the Colo Gorge between the junctions of Wollemi and Boorai Creeks. The notorious "quicksand" section.

I was going to try and do it in my bare feet, but the sand and pebbles started to hurt a bit and so I thought I would give my camp shoes a shot at glory. I used a little bit of duct tape around the heel to hold them to my feet and away I went. They worked just fine as I have said.

Here's a pic of the little (well used) beauties. They are made with a pair of Blundstone inner soles.

Camp Shoes

Andy

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Camp shoes?

Gotta chime in on this one.

My advice. Do NOT take camp shoes.

I don't take 'em. And I don't miss 'em. It solves a lot.

For river crossings, just walk across and get your shoes and socks wet. You'll be fine. For hanging out in camp, just wear your hiking shoes.

Alas – This all requires getting comfortable shoes to start with…

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Mike….my issue with wearing wet trail runners is it leaves one open to "funky feet". Noooo thanks. My husband gave me athletes foot couple years back, and wearing wet shoes/socks is a major invite for it!
    I am all for UL, but the faux crocs are worth every ounce to have dry feet….and not have to carry foot meds!!!!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Andrew

> 7kms and it was in the Colo Gorge between the junctions of Wollemi and Boorai Creeks. The notorious "quicksand" section
    Ah. Yeah, very sandy. Still, I am hugely impressed that they survived!

> I used a little bit of duct tape around the heel to hold them to my feet and away I went. They worked just fine as I have said.
    Reckon that bit of duct tape might be the magic secret: stop them from flapping. Neat.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Sarah

> my issue with wearing wet trail runners is it leaves one open to "funky feet"
    Hum. For the first … ?month? of our recent 3 month trip in France we had wet feet most days, all day. It rained a little you see … Plenty wet feet for the next few weeks after that too. Never had an ounce of trouble with our feet from the wetness.
    Spent plenty of trips here in Oz with wet feet too, from walking in the river all day. Same story.

Frank Perkins

@fperkins

Locale: North East

SHHH!! Admitting you pack camp shoes will get you banned from BPL!!

I guess a 2oz "sandal" would be a viable option, but bringing a pair of 10oz+ crocs or sandals is definitely not in the spirit of BPL.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Roger, all I am saying is this:
    Athletes feet is not fun, and wet conditions only make it worse.
    My buddy Mike had his flair up on a month long trip very badly due to wet feet as well.
    No thanks. Camp shoes are worth it for getting dry feet!
    If I wear shoes that get damp even for 3-4 days my AF starts comingg back from being dormant. Blech!!!!!!!!!!

And honestly, I don't see it as being anti UL either. I just don't carry other items instead ;-)

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

What's wrong with a little flair? Or perhaps you mean a burning, itching flare up? :)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools