Topic

How does everyone store their DLSR camera gear in their packs?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography How does everyone store their DLSR camera gear in their packs?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Matthew H
    BPL Member

@vision-quest

Locale: Boulder, CO

Hey guys, looking for some suggestions for storing my DLSR and lenses/filters in my pack. I like the F-Stop protective cases but they are quite heavy. Are there any protective alternatives that aren't so heavy?

I'm carrying a D800E, 14-24 + filters in the pack.

Nathan Wernette
    Spectator

@werne1nm

Locale: Michigan

I too am interested in this topic. I thought of just a dry bag or something…

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

I have a Mountainsmith Kit Cube (http://tinyurl.com/l2at2uk) which holds a camera and a couple of lenses. The new version seems to have more features, like a roll top instead of a drawstring. I don't think it's very heavy, but I can weight it when I get home if you like. (Send me a PM.)

Another option might be one of the Gura Gear cubes, which will hold a lot more gear. (http://www.guragear.com/photo-modules/)

Matthew H
    BPL Member

@vision-quest

Locale: Boulder, CO

Thanks for the reply Ken. Just checked out the kit cube.. still heavier than I was hoping at just under one pound. Bummer. Maybe these things just have to weigh that much to get the right protection. Sucks when you already are carrying 10+ pounds of camera gear to add another pound just to protect it. Seems I might keep looking for other alternatives.

Josiah
    Spectator

@eternalnoob

I've thought about creating a custom "case" using a walmart blue closed cell foam as dividers. Right now I have neoprene pouches for most of my stuff, so I just plan on putting it all in a roll top dry bag at this point.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Look for the plastic food storage boxes with locking tabs and a silicone seal, like Lock n Lock, Sistema and Mira. You can find some in discounters like TJ Max, but storage specialty shops will have the best selection.

The sealing boxes will protect from rain, dust and bumps. You can add thin foam or even bubble wrap. My favorite combo is a Zing neoprene wrap and a box.

I'm sure they would survive a dunking, but I won't buy you a new camera if you go canyoneering with one :) They are bulky.

Smaller locking boxes are great for point and shoot cameras and small electronics. If your camera box has extra room, you could slip your phone or GPS in there too.

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

I'll weigh mine when I get home – can't believe it's that heavy, but maybe I'm just not noticing the Cube weight with all the camera gear inside… :)

I swapped all my Canon gear for Fuji and saved a ton of weight. The Gura Gear Uinta pack comes next week; going to see how that combo works for the kind of stuff I shoot.

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

My Kit Cube weighs 5.7 ounces with a single padded divider and the drawstring removed. Again, mine is an older model without the roll top and the side buckles.

It will hold a 5D Mark III with two lenses – a 24-105, and a 70-200/4 (hoods reversed), to give you an indication of size.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/backpack_lid.shtml plus MYOG foam inner/dividers could work well. Joe would make a custom sized one for your kit if needed.

twig .
    BPL Member

@bretthartwig

Locale: Australia

Check out ortlieb, not sure on weight, but good protection, mine has a dry bag fold over top.

Peter James
    BPL Member

@pbjames

Locale: High Sierra

When I backpack with my D800, I keep it on my chest, ready to shoot, attached to the shoulder straps of my pack. Extra lens packed inside a pice of clothing inside the pack. Never had a water issue with that camera, even shooting in a downpour. These cameras are incredibly tough, and you shouldn't lug pounds of extra gear just to baby them.

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Locale: Labrador

rm

Yuri R
    BPL Member

@yazon

I would wrap my 5lb DSLR+24-70mm f2.8 in my Stoic thermal jacket (similar to NanoPuff from patagonia) and would put it on top of the rest o fthe gear. Had no issues in Sieras even in late fall when they had some snow. I would take battery and put it into my sleeping bag though.

Gene C
    BPL Member

@genecx

Locale: SF Bay Area

I keep my camera attached to my shoulder strap with a Peak Design Capture Pro Camera Clip (though I think the cheaper Capture Camera Clip is lighter, if less durable): https://peakdesignltd.com/store/?c=clips
    A camera in my pack is a camera that doesn't get used!

When I know that I won't be using the camera, then I put it in a dry bag (currently, a Sea-to-Summit roll-top dry sack) stuffed inside of my backpack.

I only bring one lens, an 18-270 Tamron, so that I don't have to worry about fidgeting with lenses (and dust in the camera) while I'm in the backcountry.

Accessories (extra batteries, memory cards, lens wipe) go in a small zippered bag in a front pocket of my backpack.

Gene

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools