Topic

Weekend Warrior

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web Weekend Warrior

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Shameless self promotion..but one I think some people here can relate to. :)

Another article on a reoccurring theme for me: How to balance my needed time in the outdoors while maintaining a job, a marriage and a social circle?

Part of the answer, for me, is taking advantage of the weekend get-away.

Read it here:

http://gossamergear.com/wp/tips/weekend-warrior

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Another great article Paul.

A few years ago, Ryan Jordan and BPL in general were advocates for Sub 24 hr trips as a means to balance the life enriching experience of staying connected to the woods with life's demands in town. I don't see people talking about it so much anymore. I know John Abela started a page on FB so hopefully the topic will see a revival.

I wouldn't trade my family for all the riches in the world and have to realize that while backpacking is my passion, we are four people who have a variety of interests that doesn't always include hiking through the woods. A sub 24 hr hike gives me an opportunity to get my wilderness fix but lessens the impact on my family and career where I can still be there to support them or earn a paycheck.

I'm setting a goal that regardless of any other backpacking trips I do, to squeeze in a mid-week sub 24 on, at least, a monthly basis for this year. Sounds like a chore when I say it this way but I expect that setting this as a goal for myself, I'll find some inspiration for quick down and dirty/inexpensive trips that I probably wouldn't have taken had I not set this goal for myself.

I'm a flake so we shall see.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Thanks for the nice words.

Do you happen to know the name of the S240 page? I found one on Facebook, but I am not sure if is the right page or not? (I did not see John A's name).

I really need to do more S240.

For various reasons my wife does not drive (I suspect mainly due to growing up in central Eruope in an urban environment with great public transit) and as tolerating she is of my weekend jaunts, even I get a "honey do" list at times…some of which involve playing chauffeur on a Saturday. :)

An S240 allows me to go out on Friday, be home by mid-morning Saturday. And still take the cat to the vet. ;)

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Here's the link to John's page

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sub24hike/

It's starting off pretty slow. It'd be nice to see more activity there.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Well said Paul.
    As a husband and father and teacher and artist….the short trip is typically the trip for me. And increasingly with my kids.

While I can't always backpack with the frequency I'd like, I'm fortunate to live and work where I do. While plenty of people will dismiss the Los Angeles area (it certainly has its issues), I live close enough to the mountains to be able to dip my feet in a stream at any time that I choose and have the vast wilderness of the Pacific Ocean right next to my workplace so I can surf 4-5 days/week on average as well as dive/spear.

If backpacking was the only outdoor release I had I'd be a sick man. You definitely have to take it where you can get it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Similar here. I do a lot of weekend trips in the late fall, winter, and early spring, but come late spring, it starts to get muggy and hot around here. Some folks are cold intolerant, well i'm definitely humid hot intolerant (thanks Scottish Highlander and Germanic genes).

So then my weekends become more about going to the beach, specifically more so car camping at a state park near the beach. However, i have an often social wife, so i tend to get pulled into other things at times.

I would love to do a thru hike in the US, as the only longer hike i've done is the Camino in Spain, which while i really liked aspects of it, wish it had more wilderness parts, and less road walking (which can really kill your feet besides being ugly).

But how could i possibly take off that time unless i wanted to get divorced and be homeless and broke for awhile. I'm broke enough as it is, and often just barely get bills paid off, with an occasional little extra sometimes. Ironically, my wife who is a teacher and who makes more money than me, could do a thru hike if she really wanted to, or at least a good portion of one. We did the Camino together but that was in large part because she is semi obsessed with Spain and obsessed with long distance traveling (especially to other countries). Personally i would prefer more time out in more true wilderness.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

http://www.alastairhumphreys.com/category/blog/microadventure/

Alastair Humphreys has been writing about what he calls Microadventures.

He also has a new book on the subject.

http://www.alastairhumphreys.com/microadventures-book/

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo

good write up. Most of the times with work/wife/kid, my outdoor adventures are 24-36 hours.

A good way to get a quick fix!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools