Topic

Dream Hammocks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping Dream Hammocks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Scott Jones
    Spectator

@endeavor

This company seems to make customizeable Hammocks including one that has an insulating sock to wrap around the hammock. Anybody here use one? I do not know these people who make this product or have an affiliation with them.

I forgot to post the link: Dream Hammock

So they might be able to build the Norwegian style hammock for much cheaper and with some other customized options like cuben fiber or what not.

Randy Smith

@papasmurf

Locale: Dream Hammock

Hi Scott,
    I'm the owner of Dream Hammock.Sorry the Amok hammock is a patented idea. Can't touch anything like that.

[from their website]
    "Amok™ have worked closely together with NTNU TTO and Dehns Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys in London to secure our intellectual property and protect our unique hammock construction by filing a patent."

Scott Jones
    Spectator

@endeavor

Drat……foiled again………

Have you ever made a Hammock for anyone requesting it be made out of cuben fiber?

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I had a cuben fiber hammock once…

When they fail they fail in a spectacular way!

Cuben Fiber Hammock Failure

Yes – I was in the hammock when it failed (otherwise it wouldn't have failed, would it?) but I wasn't hurt. Hopefully you can tell by the site selection that I was being particularly cautious in case it did fail as I tested it. I only fell about 14 inches and landed in very soft grass.

This was back in 2010 and I haven't been that interested in saving an ounce or two to try it again. Look at Butt in a Sling hammocks…Their Weight Weenie Micro hammock only weighs 12.6 ounces with Whoopie slings and tree straps.

John Myers
    BPL Member

@dallas

Locale: North Texas

I considered making a cuben hammock once.

Until I saw your picture.

Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

Yep – talking to a friend who had a buddy that made a cuben hammock. Same result as posted above – ripped clean in two. I don't know what the issue is but it would appear cuben is not an ideal hammock material!

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

I slept all night in the hammock without an issue. It failed as I was shifting a bit to get out of it in the morning. I was just sad when it failed…I REALLY wanted it to work!

Scott Jones
    Spectator

@endeavor

Does Cuben come in different layers of thickness like ripstop nylon? Weird that everybody raves about how strong the material is for backpacks which have weight in them and then a cuben hammock turns out to be too weak to support the weight of a person.
    Now did the fabric rip or was it the stitching that just gave out?

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

In case it's not clear from the photo it was the material that failed, not the stitching. This hammock was a little unique – one end was a channel end with the whoopie sling running through the channel and the other end was whipped with the whoopie sling going around the knot. I wanted to see which approach worked best with Cuben, but I never got to the point where the attachment mattered.

Scott Jones
    Spectator

@endeavor

I did some recon on the subject and I discovered posts regarding your cuben hammock failure in 2010. There was someone who posted on this forum who was gung ho to actually produce and sale Cuben Fiber Hammocks but after your test and another test result he forsook the idea. I am still interested and I think it would make an interesting project.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I suspect a heavier weight Cuben would have been fine. I could see that happening with the real light Cuben.
    I know I have ripped some of the lighter ripstop fabrics. The stress on the fabric gets multiplied when you get in and out or some clown thinks its fun to bounce around when they try it out:-)

I never wanted to try Cuben because of it's lack of breathability. I have a hard enough time with moisture gathering when I sleep on a sleeping pad.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools