Topic

Looking for a down jacket for my 6’4″ 240# son

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Looking for a down jacket for my 6’4″ 240# son

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    robert v
    BPL Member

@mtnbob123

Locale: Bristol Bay Alaska

My son is moving to Cleveland to start his graduate program at the Institute of Music in a few months, and I'm trying to find him a good deal on a down jacket. Not really looking for a technical jacket, although it would be nice if he could use it when he backpacks too. Any suggestions? I have found this,

http://www.backcountry.com/the-north-face-imbabura-down-jacket-mens?ti=UExQIE9uIFNhbGU6TWVuXCdzIERvd24gSmFja2V0czoxOjE6YmNzQ2F0MTExMDAxNQ&skid=TNF9050-BIKRD-XL

but don't know if it will be long enough in the arms.

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Robert, take a look at MontBell's line. I'm 6'4 200 lb 36.5 in sleeves and its down jackets are long enough for me in the arms. Some come in XXL as well.

robert v
    BPL Member

@mtnbob123

Would you recommend a XXL for him?

nleve0778@ gmail.com

@quixotic_1

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Robert, I'm 6'5", 220 pounds, and I wear xxl in just about any technical clothing (Patagonia, Montbell, Arc'teryx, etc.). Also, in regards to Montbell, their xxl is usually only offered in one color per model (most of the time it's black). Hope that's of some help. Good luck.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Agree on Montbell. Quality product that should fit him. Not crazy expensive either.

Ryan

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Here's an OR Virtuoso on sale for $120:

http://www.mountaingear.com/webstore/Clothing/Jackets/Outdoor-Research/Virtuoso-Jacket-Men-s/_/R-233423.htm

Outdoor Research has excellent warranties and, although 19 oz is a little heavy for BPL standards, it would definitely work.

Oops, just realized that one doesn't have a hood.

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Robert – I would recommend an XXL if you choose MontBell.

Richard

J Mag

@goprogator

Get him a Uniqlo parka in XXL. Hooded and around 10 oz. They are $69 right now and often drop to $50-$60 if you can wait a bit. It isn't a heavy jacket but perfect for around town/backpacking in my experience.

I speak college student as I just graduated. Montbell products may be great but not worth 3-4 times the price IMO.

robert v
    BPL Member

@mtnbob123

It seems that his problem is that his arms are 37" long, maybe a bit longer. I doubt that many XL Jackets are that long. We are going to try some on in person first and see what we find!!!

. Kirby
    Spectator

@kirby805

Patagonia's jackets have long arms. Not very affordable, however.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Eddie Bauer First Ascent makes tall sizes. I have an XL tall one and they fit my 37 sleeves well. Its a little big in the body for me, but at 240#, it should fit him well.

The Backcountry Hadron jackets are a good lightweight option too. They are not sized tall but have very long arms nonetheless. They are a bit slimmer in the body.

robert v
    BPL Member

@mtnbob123

He picked up a Patagonia Down Sweater today from the local REI. The XL fit him and he got it for $119 on sale. Seemed like a good deal!

Thanks for all the suggestions and offers!!!!!!

two pints
    Spectator

@madgoat

Locale: Ohio

+1 on the eddie bauer jackets.

They make several models in XL Tall and XXL Tall, though XL Tall is the most common.

Currently, they have their First Ascent Downlight jacket for $219 (XLT, XXLT) and their Duradown jacket for $269 (XLT, XXLT).

If you look around a bit, you should be able to find good discounts on Eddie Bauer stuff. There is a warehouse store here in Columbus, OH that sells all First Ascent clothing for 50% off and all tents/sleeping bags for 30% off. Add in discounts from Eddie Bauer Friends program and additional 25% off sales and you can get those jackets for super cheap.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

+2

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools