Topic

leaking platypus valve

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) leaking platypus valve

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Marcin Moscicki

@turin

I'm getting annoyed by a leaking platy valve. I own a 2L Big Zip, and if I place it full at the back of my pack, the valve leaks, even when open. If I hunch, when climbing or reaching down, this changes to a constant stream of pressurised water, especially if the valve is open. Putting the bladder in a side pocket of my pack helps a bit, but doesn't solve the problem completely, and then I have a problem with significant change of load distribution when I use up the water.

Keeping the bladder outside of the pack is out of question, because one of primary reasons for my using it is that the water stays cool in summer and doesn't freeze in winter.

If I just press the bladder with my hand, the valve doesn't leak, so the pressure inside my pack has to be considerable, even though I don't compress it with too much force.
    So, is my valve malfunctioning, or your's behave similarily?

Do you know which valves (camelback, stream, etc.) have best reputation?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I'm wondering if there is a tear in your bite valve that is breaking the 'seal' and allowing water to flow?

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Marcin, I own one too. EDIT: I should have read your post more carefully; It can not leak if the bite valve is above the waterline in the bladder, but it could if pressurized. Try placing your bladder lower in the pack if possible, and clip the bite valve higher on your shoulder strap.
    A hydration system is very convenient, but after two leaking Plati I always carry some water in a PET bottle.

Marcin Moscicki

@turin

Brett, I'll try your suggestion of placing the valve higher, but I'm not sure it'll help – it's the pressure in the pack which makes the water come out. I can't see any visible tear or defect in the valve and was wondering if it's normal, or if should I get another valve.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

The bite valve should prevent water from flowing out, regardless of the position of the bladder! I can hang a fully-loaded Platypus high up like an IV with the hydration tube / bite valve dangling directly below, and not a drop will flow down through the valve!

Water should only come out when you bite on the valve — or if you accidentally have something heavy (like your pack) pressing on it — both of which will open up the valve.

If you can't readily fix this, then you should return/exchange the valve or the whole arrangement if purchased together.

Theodore Vidnovic

@vidnovic

Locale: SF Bay Area

Do you have the 90 degree shut off valve between the hose and the bite valve? If not, they cost ~$7 and the bite valve will slide off of the tube. The other thing to try that helped me is when I finish drinking, I blow a good bit of the water back into the bladder, freeing the hydration hose and bite valve from fluid.

Pamela Wyant

@riverrunner

Ben's suggestion about the tear is good. The only time I've had a platy valve leak was when it developed a small tear that wasn't apparent until close inspection, or if the valve itself worked too far out of the plastic covering piece.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools